PDA

View Full Version : SEASICK

butcher
30-07-2004, 08:57 AM
Anyone got a surefire cure for seasickness. Fine at the pin, no good even inside the bay. Want cure, need to fish. :-X :'(

mackmauler
30-07-2004, 09:03 AM
shit u must have it bad! id be heading to your doctor and asking them, the over the counter stuff doesnt help bad cases ive noticed.

caloundra
30-07-2004, 09:07 AM
try kwells they are a motion sickness tablet from a chemist

Daniel

PS take them b4 you go and not when you start to feel sick (its to late then)

or you can get a shot from the doctors witch lasts for a year

Morlers
30-07-2004, 09:10 AM
Try some crystalised ginger as well. It helps me and has helped others I've had on my boat..

:) :)

Morlers

CHRIS_aka_GWH
30-07-2004, 10:02 AM
LOTS & LOTS OF BUNDY RUM

i havn't been seasick yet using that formula waddabout you rob ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

there is no cure butcher, just formulations to deaden the senses & the sensation - the biggest tradeoff being drowsiness.

Whatever you go with get it into the system the night before & repeat the dose the next day before going out -
drink lots of water the day before & while out,
avoid grog & caffiene,
get lots of sleep
stay active & in fresh air when out there with a keen sense of the horizon
chew gum / ginger (the more senses you activate the less the balance effect makes you seasick the research says, ginger also settles the stomach)

if all else fails eat a tin of tuna or sardines before going - you may as well contribute to the trip in some form. ;D

chris
chris

seafox
30-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Try the kwells first they seem to have worked fairly well on mates I have taken out they should be taken at least an hour before you go out. And follow the good advise from Chris

bj
30-07-2004, 11:15 AM
O.K.Mr Butcher.Do you have time to digest this?I used to suffer from seasickness bad until I read about a preventative[not a cure]that Dick Lewers wrote about in Modern Fishing about thirty five years ago.Sounds a bit complicated but really isn`t and I haven`t`

bj
30-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Sorry!Lets try again.AS ABOVE.Let`s continue.Have a light non greasy meal the night before you plan to go,and have a Travecalm motion tablet.[I think they are back in production]In the morning have a light breakfast,no fatty or greasy food.Have toast or cereal or the like followed by another tablet.Now a couple of hours after you go aboard have another tablet and that is it for the day.Then every quarter hour or so have a antacid tablet followed by a arrowroot biscuit.I have given this preventative to a couple of friends that suffered from seasickness and it helped them.The idea is to get the acids out of your stomach.Try it if all else fails you won`t be sorry. Cheers

philip_thomson
30-07-2004, 12:27 PM
i have been there and done that experiencing sea sickness worst feeling. apart from maybe major sunburn. when i head out i have an early night before hand no alchohol no stone fruit. generally have meals like pasta and bread before going out. i take a kwell before i go to bed the night before then i take 2 30-45mins before i get on the boat. while on the boat if there is a shady side i fish on that side. always ensure if you eat food on the boat that you have clean hands and have no bait or anything on your hands otehrwise u will get sick very quickly. i have been told that eating green apples when u start to feel sick can help also. perhaps the best solution i found was to keep at it until i got over it. i used to get sea sick in .5m rolling seas now i can withstand 1.5m chop seas. although that did make for 6 very unpleasant and very expensive fishing trips.

hope that you can get over the sea sickness.

cheers philip

mackmauler
30-07-2004, 12:37 PM
chris, in moderation you have stumbled onto the secret formula, see you on the podium ;D

NQCairns
30-07-2004, 12:46 PM
The over the counter drugs have made me sicker than just the seasickness, they are also rough on a persons heart - dramamine or pseudo epidrine?.
Next time you are at the doc's ask for the anti nausia medication Maxalon or one of it's twins, this stuff has been around for donkeys and is as safe as panadol but of coarse it is still a drug so all warnings apply. It is the only one that I can rely on so far. good luck, it really sucks this seasick stuff.

Dug
30-07-2004, 03:37 PM
Stemitil is another good prescription drug but can cause ocular guyric fitting (If you have ever seen Peter Garrett of Midnight Oil dance that is what it looks like) so check with a GP before taking any!!!!!

I got fed Bundy rum as a 16 year old to cure seasickness
It worked I have never been seasick again....I have never touched a drop of run again EVER it makes me SOOOO ILL

BigE
30-07-2004, 03:49 PM
try seabands from ur local chemist they work on acupuncher points or something work for the other half

jaybee
30-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Icy cold coke out of the esky, drink a few good mouthfulls, will make you Buurrp and feel good, stay away from the over the counter drugs.
cheers
Joe.

Mortalkombat
31-07-2004, 05:17 AM
ripe mango!!!!!!! I had two last december was feelin quezie 20min later bright orange vomit twice Craig was in histerics if we would have got it on video we would have won funniest home video!!!!!
Nick

butcher
02-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Thanks for all your feedback. Like the idea of drinking copious amounts of rum. Will give all of them a go till I find the one for me.Once again, many thanks ;D ;D ;)