PDA

View Full Version : HMAS Brisbane in the River

Lucky_Phill
31-07-2004, 01:39 PM
Here is a pic of the Brisbane at Colmslie awaiting the fit out, ready for the Divers off Mooloolaba mid next year.

She's a bloody long bugga, and I reckon they'll have to chop about 10 meters off the top as well.

Cheers Phill

Maria
31-07-2004, 02:41 PM
Such a sad, sad waste of a pivotal piece of Australian military history.

Zeeke
31-07-2004, 03:32 PM
such a waste of potential awesome fishing territory too... once that goes down, i betcha they will lobby to make it and the territory between it and Old Woman Island a no fishing zone and make old woman island a no fishing zone and the coast will have its own marine park so 25,000 tourists can piss and moan and take up more space on a already clogged up toilet of a place they call the Sunshine Coast

Tim
p.s. Yes.. i know.. i live ere on the coast!! but its been destroyed by filthy lil men with bald spots that we call developers tryng to stick as many houses and highrises on as much land as they can and not thinking about other things like road planing and such.. especially since most of the roads on the coast werent designed for the ammount of traffic we have! we dont need more cars or people..

Lucky_Phill
31-07-2004, 03:33 PM
What, Ben, only letting Divers go near it, when after a year, the thing will be alive with Cobes, Kingies, Squire, Yakka and the like. Not a fisherman within 100's of meters. BUGGA !

Phill

crayman
31-07-2004, 03:53 PM
Nice photo Phil . Well what about a photo of the lovely vessel you towed back the other way. G'day it's kris How's things? Any plans of a fishing trip soon. Might see you out there. If you need a decky i am ready and willing.

HAZ
31-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Zeeke, I know what your saying..... It's so much fun pulling a boat through the traffic in Mooloolaba on any weekend ! Grrrrr
HAZ
ps. I don't think the Sunshine Coast Tourism Department will be contacting you about the job vacancy any time soon!! ;D

Maria
31-07-2004, 06:32 PM
HMAS Brisbane was a steam powered vessel affectionately known to her 7000+ crew that served on her over the 34 years of commission as "Steel Cat". She served in two theatres of combat (Vietnam and the 1991 Gulf War) earning the Australian Meritous Unit Citation for her service in the Gulf.

Old fishing trawlers, cargo ships etc should be sunk for dive attractions - this old girl should at the least be sold to a collector (yes someone would buy her) for historical keepsake, or docked in a maritime museum.

Zeeke
01-08-2004, 05:55 AM
yes Phill, considering the location, those fish will be plaguing the wreck after a while once its FINALLY sunk, and it will be come a diving only zone, no fishing, no trolling! no taking fish! that is the plans for the wreck and atleast 150m around it

Tim

jaybee
01-08-2004, 06:06 AM
on a good note if its dive only, it will become a good nursery for the reef species, so in the end the close reefs may prosper, let hope so.
cheers
Joe

BladeRunner
01-08-2004, 09:02 AM
Phill
Thanks for the info and picture on the HMAS Brisbane I have never seen how large she realy was . Dose seem a shame to let the divers have it all .
Regards
Blade [smiley=bandana.gif]

jaybee
01-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Here are some more links with photos in her glory

http://www.nachohat.org/gallery/ships_hmas_brisbane

http://www.awm.gov.au/atwar/hmas_brisbane.htm

Dive Oz Dive map where she will be sunk no gps marks tho.

http://www.sunreef.com.au/pics/dive-map.gif

cheers
Joe

polydriver
01-08-2004, 04:11 PM
well at least it is being used for something useful. The ones I served on ended up going over seas for scrap metal and probably came back as Toyotas????

bidkev
02-08-2004, 08:58 AM
<snip>

no taking fish! that is the plans for the wreck and atleast 150m around it

Tim

That'll do for me! I can cast 200 metres :-)

cheers

kev

jaybee
02-08-2004, 01:19 PM
onya kev roflmao
cheers
Joe

bidkev
02-08-2004, 06:31 PM
onya kev roflmao
cheers
Joe

:0)) Cheers Joe. I've actually cleared 287 (yards that is) without a baited hook.......casting tournaments are big bucks in the UK.... not that *I've*ever won anything, those guys are busting 360 regularly.

cheers

kev

bugman
03-08-2004, 05:18 AM
;D ;D ;DBubble Bubble Bubble ;D ;D ;D