PDA

View Full Version : What The?

megan
03-08-2004, 09:59 AM
A few week ago I was talking to a guy from a well known fishing club in the sydney area. I was aghast as to what he was telling me and practically braging about it as well. Apparently the club is a sport fishing club who goes out to catch sharks and marlin. So I said to him so you tag and release them do you? He says nah we just kill the sharks and throw them overboard and with the marlin we bring them on board and cut them up for burley. >:( Some we tag and release. Now I was getting really pissed off with this guy as he openly sat there and tried to aruge the point with me that it was o.k with what he and others in the club were doing! I couldn't believe it, this day and age there are still guys with dumb arse ego's that feel the need to kill these beautiful creatures - O.K I am not a real fan of the shark as most people probably are not - but I don't believe that they should be killed for so called sport and just dumped. And as far as the marlin go - well that's just a tragedy. What a sad world we live in. :(

Maria
03-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Seems pretty outrageous mate - maybe he was joking or stirring you up for a laugh.

Ben

Hutcho
03-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Should report that to the appropriate authorities. >:( That's just plain senseless. Whoever would use a marlin for burley?!?

mackmauler
03-08-2004, 11:09 AM
there is no bag limit on marlin and thousands of them being pulled out by longliners each year. there wont be any concern from any authorities. using marlin for berley is a common practice down that way.

Hutcho
03-08-2004, 11:12 AM
I just would have thought there are "less quality" fish to use for burley than marlin, and then use that burley to catch sharks and kill them for no reason. Seems strange/crazy to me. I certainly wouldn't be boasting about it if I was from a fishing club.

SeaHunt
03-08-2004, 01:42 PM
That's not a fishing club, that's a wankers club. :P

Dug
03-08-2004, 05:07 PM
A "grippers club" you mean.

Grippers are too lazy or to dumb to move their hand up and down. [smiley=freak.gif]

-spiro-
04-08-2004, 05:10 AM
I agree with seahunt. Dont think much of sharks but i go and kill and justafiy it by calling it spot fishing. Dob the dickheads in.