PDA

View Full Version : Plotting Green Zones on GPS

whiteman
27-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Has anyone come up with a good method of getting the green zones into their GPS?

I started off putting in the corners of each zone and labelling the "GZ1-NE, GZ1-NW, etc". I've now plotted tracks between these points and stored them as routes. Seems to be a better method. I don't have a chartplotter but even if I did, I don't think the new maps are available (and at what price for an upgrade for you guys that already have maps?)

SNELLY
27-07-2004, 08:57 AM
Whiteman,

That is a good idea with the routes that should put a line on your screen.

I put the corners of the Green zones in my GPS ( no chart ) with the symbol "+"

Snelly

NQCairns
27-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Whiteman I too would like a good system for naming and identifying each one also the pink, yellows etc from the green. Gotta be a better way than I have come up with so far. ???
I refuse on principle against being forced to buy the comercial equipment and maps so I will battle on. God I hate GBRMPA and their forked tongues.

I have had a go and put it into the too hard basket for now. The many 10s of hours needed is a bit overwelming especially as I dont have a team of proof readers just in-case I make a little mistake and have to sell a house. #:o
I tried the GBRMPA site interactive site (choke) where the spiel said it could give the co-ords in different formats but gave up after a couple of hours fighting with it. If anyone can work out how to display an entire regions greenzones co-ords in a format I ask for instead of one individual hardwon green/yellow zone at a time let me know.
http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/ArcIMS/website/gbrmpa/viewer.htm

Kerry
27-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Why should there be any cost to the user to upgrade this specific type of infomation, it really should be a one off GBRMPA/Gov born cost with no profit making capabilities.

Cheers, Kerry.

deb
27-07-2004, 03:13 PM
We're doing the same as snelly, + in
and
I think the maps we buy from QT need to get updated quick as, wandered in yesterday and to buy the 'latest' Hervey Bay Bundaberg for the hols in a fortnight. Was offered the same map as I bought 2, yes 2 years ago!!!!

Barrymundi
27-07-2004, 03:44 PM
Apparently C-Map will update charts SOON.

I did hear they want Royalties ? or GBRMPA wanted Royalties, sounded like a good rumour.

I use PC Planner and enter the Zones as a Routes Routs is Called Palm Waypoint is GR01 GR02 etc

Pain in the butt.

Al

nulla
28-07-2004, 04:13 AM
If you want all the zone co-ordinates GBRMPA have them in excel and pdf format but there are thousands of co-ordinates.

go to http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/corp_site/management/zoning/index.html

Nulla

whiteman
28-07-2004, 09:00 AM
We're "lucky" around my way as the green zone boundaries have straight edges so the route feature works without too much input, particularly if you use Oziexplorer and download the results.

Hard to believe GBRMPA didn't 100% fund upgrades to electronic charts but it apears not to be the case. I'm hanging off buying a chart plotter this year until I see what develops even though the old GPS12 is tough on my fading eyesight!

NQCairns
28-07-2004, 11:23 AM
Thanks Nulla they have upgraded since my last visit, now to teach myself how to get spreadsheet co-ords into oziexplorer and I am on my way. Whiteman me too with the 12 such a great little unit.

Reefmaster
28-07-2004, 05:10 PM
guys i just got a copy of all the new GBR zoning on disk for the pc.
its very handy and has gps marks for the green zones.Would also come in handy if you wish to print off the maps and visaully see the zones. I believe most tackle shops now have these discs.

Cheers Greg

Mad_Barry
29-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Just keep fishin' till you get a pic of your boat in the mail like they do with a speeding ticket #;D ,

nah, As Kerry said, should be a subsidised cost of entry into a chart plotter, as this will be the only reliable method, route marking is a quick fix, till you get the curves and all the different colours #::)

Kerry
29-07-2004, 12:02 PM
For those with Oziexplorer (and the GBRMPA CD) you'll probably find the GBRMPA .KAP (map) files will/should load straight in.

Cheers, Kerry.

Mad_Barry
29-07-2004, 06:20 PM
Of more interest is,

How are you fella's plotting the mean low water mark, at the edge of the zones where they co- incide with land ? :)

NQCairns
29-07-2004, 06:52 PM
Thanks Kerry for that info

Kerry
30-07-2004, 04:21 AM
Of more interest is,

How are you fella's plotting the mean low water mark, at the edge of the zones where they co- incide with land ? #:)

Better still, how will the enforcers be plotting the low water?

Cheers, Kerry.

Smithy
30-07-2004, 04:37 AM
Isn't the latest that the Qld Government is going to legislate to take out this ambiguity such that it will make its own green zones which will match the GRMPA ones.

Smithy
30-07-2004, 04:39 AM
If anyone is using Oziexplorer for making routes to show the zones I have done the southern end of the Capricorn Bunker Group if anyone is interested which I can e-mail to you.

Smithy
30-07-2004, 04:40 AM
Greg,

you got a CD burner? I am sure there would be few of us here interested in getting a copy. Are GBRMPA dishing this out pretty freely?

agnes_jack
31-07-2004, 08:16 AM
Smithy
You've got to squeeze em pretty hard, but you should be able to get one off them.

Tony

NQCairns
31-07-2004, 09:59 AM
Smithy this is from the web site.

For those who have trouble downloading the maps and co-ordinates from the GBRMPA website (www.gbrmpa.gov.au) a CD is available from the GBRMPA by calling 1800 990 177.”

I am sure there is an email address that would work also, they keep the existance of the cd-rom very quiet, I only found a press release about it's existance. Gunna keep looking though.

old_mate_china
31-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Just make sure you guys convert the gps points into WGS 84 (if that whats on your gps). The GBRMPA points on the maps are not the same data set and if you make the mistake you can wind up in the middle of the wrong piece of ocean with a hefty fine !!

NQCairns
31-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Just a note: I rang GBRMPA and got the PDF CD-rom sent but so far they say they have no knowledge of a .kap map files. I am awaiting a phone call back if it ever happens. Hope someone has more luck than me.

Kerry
31-07-2004, 03:44 PM
china_old_mate, all the GBRMPA coordinates in the schedule of the legislation (and maps) are GDA94 and effectively the same as WGS84 so no problems there. The only concern are those people still using AGD66/84 on their GPS and really there's no good reason for them to be doing that.

At least GBRMPA have only provided coordinates in one datum and one format unlike some other recent marine park declarations in Australia.

....but so far they say they have no knowledge of a .kap map files.

Nq #::) you got to be joking, they have no knowledge #:-X like what a load of rubbish.

You tell them you want the files for MapTRAX, there's 69 .KAP files and 69 corresponding .MAP files.

Cheers, Kerry.

#

NQCairns
03-08-2004, 08:12 AM
Thanks Kerry I just got a call back from the tech guy then and he said he will make a cd up for me and send it on, why do they not have this allready as an option?
Regarding only PDF on cd rom, during the first phonecall one lady said it is so that nobody can change the zones???? I said it was so that people had to buy the commercial product ;D and asked if there was any monetary agreemnt between GBRMPA and map companys :-X.... bet my nail drives straighter than her's.

I am a bit worried about the .map files the need for these skipped my mind he asked what software I was using so hopefully it's covered.

NQCairns
04-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Got the promised CD today, it's in Ozexplorer format and has the .maps as well ;D ;D. The file sizes are about 1.6meg per zone, if anyone wants a zone (2 max) email me with the exact MP name and I will get onto it. Got burner/computer probs so cannot do any cd copys atm. nq

Mad_Barry
05-08-2004, 09:22 AM
good stuff,NQ.

What file extensions are they ?

(Oh, and I won't bother you for an email, I'll ring GRUMPA for a full set, after all, I pay my taxes :D)

NQCairns
05-08-2004, 01:08 PM
G'Day Dicko they are in .ozf2 each has it's own .map file as well the maps do not have the co-ordinates marking the corners of the zones is my only complaint, must be an older set?? might be worth asking about for yours? nq

Kerry
05-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Being digital geo-referenced (real world coordinates) type plans hard written text type coordinates are not really a standard or desirable inclusion.

Cheers, Kerry.