PDA

View Full Version : Shark attack in Byron

DaneCross
05-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Just heard briefly on 10 news, a spear fisherman was attacked by our favorite protected species the Grey Nurse after spearing a fish off Byron. Apparently the shark took the fish then came back for the diver.
Maybe they should ditch the protection and start killing the GNS again :-X ;) ;D
DC

propdinger
05-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Dane
why dont you put that forward to them and see what they say cant hurt.....lmao

in all seriuosness
from what i heard he got away from the shark pretty easy lucky bugger

jeff

DaneCross
05-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Yeh 9 news rekon he got away with 'minor puncture wounds' :-/

propdinger
05-08-2004, 02:47 PM
not much of a shark attack

Tony_N
05-08-2004, 03:05 PM
:o " not much of a shark attack "

Sometimes I think reality TV has a lot to answer for.

Sportfish_5
05-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Thats a spot of bad luck, maybe the diver had some sort of effect on the GNS'S environment -
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

mackmauler
05-08-2004, 06:08 PM
its a love bite, the divers go into their territory and the sharks get used to them and the rest is nature :-X

jaybee
05-08-2004, 07:14 PM
I wonder if the shark had any hooks hanging out of its mouth, maybe that is why it was a love bite, couldnt sink the teeth in because of the hooks, roflmao

matty_e
06-08-2004, 05:39 AM
the fish that he speard was a 12kg jew off tallows.....seems like evryone wants a jew these days :D

SeaHunt
06-08-2004, 06:22 AM
Well there is at least one Grey Nurse there , better rope that area off and make it protected too. They are very scarse you know. :P

Funny how one shark bites some surfer in WA, and everyone wants to kill it.
Another one bites some diver off Byron and they want to protect it.
Hey that sounds good now I think about it. ;D

where_is_dave
06-08-2004, 07:38 AM
Thats a spot of bad luck, maybe the diver had some sort of effect on the GNS'S environment -
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I bet he did after the attack - a fair bit of raw effluent escaping from his wet suit ;D. lol

cHiCo
06-08-2004, 08:11 AM
Yeh just saw it on the news, he just speared a 12kg jew the shark took it, then came back for him, nothing but a few stiches in his knee

Nugget
06-08-2004, 01:58 PM
We rung today in an attempt to interview him for Talking Fishing.
He would not take our call until a finacial 'offer' from us was on the table.
You gotta wonder...

Dave ><>

blaze
06-08-2004, 02:30 PM
maybe the poor shark didnt bite hard enough
was ya going to ask him why the bloody hell he was tomenting it webby
cheers
blaze
my poor old cat leaves more marks if i dont scatch his belly

jaybee
06-08-2004, 02:48 PM
Just watched a current affair tonight, question "would you go back in the water?" Answer" time will tell" then he went on to say how on another dive a shark attacked him, and through him fighting the shark, he didnt get bitten, methinks, A Current Affair Got Bitten with what he asked for the interview, how pathetic. (did you see the bite marks) my neighbours dog is more dangerous.
cheers
joe

bidkev
06-08-2004, 03:46 PM
<snip>
(did you see the bite marks) my neighbours dog is more dangerous.
cheers
joe

My dog's a pussy cat.........now the deckie?.........that's a whole new ball game........her bite's worse than her bark! :-)
Come to think of it? She was swimmin' down that way when it happened and she always knew that I wanted a jew :-)

BladeRunner
06-08-2004, 05:06 PM
[quote author=SeaHunt
Funny how one shark bites some surfer in WA, and everyone wants to kill it.
Another one bites some diver off Byron and they want to protect it.
#;D[/quote]
Very good Seahunt .

Blade [smiley=bandana.gif]

Dug
06-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Spearfishers V shark

spear fishermen, 247,000,000

Sharks, 1

Sharks have a long way to go to even the score

Go sharks! go sharks! go sharks!

PinHead
07-08-2004, 12:31 AM
A few stitches in the knee...hardly warrants even reporting on the news. My ridgeback could do far worse than that if she wasn't so lazy.

Where the hell is Steve Irwin when ya need him...CRIKEY.

Heath
07-08-2004, 05:02 PM
See what happens!

Protect the GNS & it gets to plague proportions & becomes a man eater. ;D ;)

Might have to start a cull :P

Sportfish_5
07-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Bloody Hell ! These GNSs are in plague proportions now ;D ;D ;D ;D
Now wonder I have not caught a big jewie yet ;)

Gazza
07-08-2004, 06:50 PM
I'd like toooo shake that SHARKS hand #:P

Jack_Lives_Here
08-08-2004, 06:00 AM
I've dived around Byron with the GNS and was of the belief they inhabit the deeper trenches during the day - that's where we have always found them anyrate. Now the trenches we dived are now a no go zone for fisherman etc. No treches off Tallows?? Now if the shark took his fish, I have to assume it was in close proximity of these protected areas where they hold up in daylight hours - has he been asked - WHAT WAS HE DOING SPEAR FISHING IN THIS AREA?????

Gorilla_in_Manila
08-08-2004, 07:56 AM
Was back home at Byron for 3 months. No jewies around.
Drove 5 hours down to Cresent Head last weekend, no jewies, just a couple of 6lb salmon.
Drove back to Byron and hear this bloke was getting jewies off the cape. Didnt get a chance to fish for them coz I flew back to Philippines thursday.
Gives you the shits. >:(
Cheers
Jeff

Sportfish_5
08-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Goes to show that even the experts really know bugger all about GNS habits. So much for the 1.2km exclusion zones, seems they can be anywhere ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Didnt Ben Cropp come out recently and say while diving himself he saw plenty of GNS around and the estimates of remaining were way off the mark ??? ???

jeffo
09-08-2004, 03:28 AM
shark attack... looks more like he had a mishap with a #10 bait jig ::) ;D

fishy_phil
09-08-2004, 10:50 AM
gday
in my opinion the grey nurse is in no more change of extinction than the australian bass!!!
ive seen photographs of over 100 grey nurses in a single picture in one location at the one time so in my opinion the number of grey nurses is either way of or nearly half of them were in the one place at the one time....hmmm sounds like those so called scientists have something to learn from the deep sea divers/ photographers about the number of GNS's. the idea of sanctuary zoning areas to protect GNS's is absolutely rediculous can someone tell me the chances of landing a GNS on braid or mono on a standard bottom bashing outfit with the teeth those things have without getting bitten off??? to catch them you have to specifically fish for them with wire. and other than that its not the first time a GNS has bitten someone on the north coast area in the last 5 years. to me it just sounds like the government is just trying to restrict and eventually kill off recreational fishing in some areas and then if they can do it there than why not everywhere else.
phil