PDA

View Full Version : Fishing is Banned

gif
10-08-2004, 10:29 AM
From todays Courier Mail

Byron split over push for fishing ban
Courier Mail Greg Stolz
09aug04
FISHING would be banned in and around Byron Bay under a marine park plan that has delighted conservationists but outraged recreational anglers and professionals.

Large areas of the NSW far north coast, a popular holiday spot for southeast Queenslanders, would be off-limits to fishing under new restrictions proposed for the Cape Byron Marine Park by the Carr Government.

The plan would result in more than a quarter of the 22,000ha marine park, stretching from Brunswick Heads to Lennox Head, being declared a sanctuary where nothing could be removed from the water. In Byron itself, fishing would be banned from Main Beach around Cape Byron to Tallows.

The proposed sanctuary also would take in the popular diving spot of Julian Rocks. Aborigines would be able to fish Tallows beach, but only for "important" cultural events.

Byron Bay bait and tackle shop owner Dave Keevers said the proposed ban would hurt professional and recreational anglers alike.

"The boaties will be hardest hit, especially the pros, but the tourists will also suffer," Mr Keevers said.

"If you're staying at the Clarke's Beach caravan park with your family, for example, you won't be able to go fishing with the kids out the front. Byron was a fishing town for years and years and now the fishermen are being shafted."

Veteran Byron Bay professional and recreational fisherman Arthur Malin said his livelihood had been "destroyed by the greenies".

Mr Malin, 77, who has been fishing the waters off Byron for more than 60 years, attacked the marine park plan, saying it would not protect fish stocks.

"The concept that this is a fish nursery is bloody nonsense, absolutely ridiculous," he said. "The fish you catch off the beach are migratory fish – they are just passing through."

Mr Malin said the NSW Government had offered local professional fisherman a total of $4 million to buy out their businesses but 12 months on, there was no sign of the money. "It (the marine sanctuary) was a done deal, despite all the promises of consultation," he said.

"It was all about paying back the Greens for their support at the last election."

A Byron Environment Centre spokesman said the proposed marine park sanctuary would protect and improve depleted fish stocks.

"The sanctuary will enhance the recreational and commercial fisheries in surrounding areas and provide economic opportunities that only an appropriately zoned marine park can bring to the region," he said.

Ballina National Party MP Don Page said it was unclear what restrictions would be imposed on activities including fishing, scuba diving, boating and horse riding on beaches.

Meanwhile, the Queensland Government will soon start community consultation on a new management plan for key fish species.

Fisheries Minister Henry Palaszczuk said the Fisheries (East Coast Inshore Fin Fish) Management Plan would review size and number limits, the need for new spawning season closures, commercial netting regulations and management of shark stocks.

gif
10-08-2004, 10:37 AM
Little by little #
Area by Area

The Dark (Green) forces are dismantling fishing as we know it.

It seems only a few realise the state of the very experienced and organized Green agenda out there. # And unless a much greater number of us do something #we will die off #- just as has happened in shooting. #Have no doubt #- we are the next #and last target.

If you put a frog into hot water it will leap out and live.

If you put a Frog into cold water, and slowly turn up the heat it sits still until it is boiled to death.*

Please realise that we are in hot water now!

Gary

*Please don't try this at home #- its just an analogy , and I have no idea if it is true.

kc
10-08-2004, 11:18 AM
I'm glad you added the disclaimer Gary.....the RSPCA would be knocking on your door otherwise.....unless of course you are French and actually enjoy eating the bloody things!!

You are however dead right about a longer term agenda to lock recreational fishers out of the fishery....bit by bit, area by area. This whole thing is and never was just about the Great Barrier Reef.
Moreton Bay & Frazer Island will also be on the hit list.

One chance to do something about it & it is right now. Join The Fishing Party (Qld), help us help you. If we fail to make a significant dent in the status quo come election time in about 10 weeks then in 3 more years recreational fishing as we know it will be in seriuos decline. It is already taking effect in NQ and it will happen everywhere.

Make i Fish & I Vote....finally actually mean something.

Here is a bit of "Did you know". Back when the GST was being flagged the GBRMPA was physically incapable of coming up with the RAP closures plan. The democrats had a policy called the "Oceans Policy", which line by line is almost a copy of the current government policy on marine park closures and protected areas.

When little Johnny was negotiating with Meg Lees, the then Democrats party leader, for support in the senate for the GST, it appears he may have "done a deal". "Like we will adopt your "Oceans Policy" if you pass the GST". Hmmmm!!

Does this means all these closures are really about politics and bugger all to do with the science of closures and Green Zones?? Ever since then the Government has been throwing money at the marine research community to come up with excuses to justify the closures....almost the cart leading the horse. No doubt about it. Recreational fishers are getting done over by the politicians and we either do something about it or take up golf.

Regards

KC

kc
10-08-2004, 11:20 AM
I'm glad you added the disclaimer Gary.....the RSPCA would be knocking on your door otherwise.....unless of course you are French and actually enjoy eating the bloody things!!

You are however dead right about a longer term agenda to lock recreational fishers out of the fishery....bit by bit, area by area. This whole thing is and never was just about the Great Barrier Reef.
Moreton Bay & Frazer Island will also be on the hit list.

One chance to do something about it & it is right now. Join The Fishing Party (Qld), help us help you. If we fail to make a significant dent in the status quo come election time in about 10 weeks then in 3 more years recreational fishing as we know it will be in seriuos decline. It is already taking effect in NQ and it will happen everywhere.

Make i Fish & I Vote....finally actually mean something.

Here is a bit of "Did you know". Back when the GST was being flagged the GBRMPA was physically incapable of coming up with the RAP closures plan. The democrats had a policy called the "Oceans Policy", which line by line is almost a copy of the current government policy on marine park closures and protected areas.

When little Johnny was negotiating with Meg Lees, the then Democrats party leader, for support in the senate for the GST, it appears he may have "done a deal". "Like we will adopt your "Oceans Policy" if you pass the GST". Hmmmm!!

Does this means all these closures are really about politics and bugger all to do with the science of closures and Green Zones?? Ever since then the Government has been throwing money at the marine research community to come up with excuses to justify the closures....almost the cart leading the horse. No doubt about it. Recreational fishers are getting done over by the politicians and we either do something about it or take up golf.

Regards

KC

gif
10-08-2004, 11:28 AM
What gets me is they are not even embarrsed about the deals.

It's almost like Corrupt Customs officers in certain countries just shrugging their shoudlders and smiling.

As the man said "It was all about paying back the Greens for their support at the last election."

Gary

baldyhead
10-08-2004, 02:22 PM
A small piece of lead behind the ear of these ars**oles (pollies and Green Ars*d Ba***rds [GABs]) is in reality the only notice that they will take.
ANYTHING LESS & they will only laugh at us all the way to their banks.
.......Of course I'm only joking u know lol

cheers Baldy.

Dug
10-08-2004, 04:34 PM
A friend sent this to me today regarding a different subject ( the indefinite internment of stateless people by the Immigration department) #but it would also seem appropriate here.

"In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."

~ Martin NiemoellerGerman Lutheran Pastor

I have no problem with closing areas totally to all fishing but in such high profile areas this smacks of politics rather than good science. If you are going to close an area make it an isolated eco system not a major tourist area.

[smiley=wut.gif]

PS I quite like frogs legs but they are better fried with some spice rather than slow boiled. MMMMMMMM frogs legs
PPS I'm too green to eat them now [smiley=angel.gif]

nonibbles
10-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Wow I'm excited! This country will eventually only be buying food and other products from overseas, we are the lucky country and we are giving it all away. All of it bit by bit. And our own people seem so happy to do it. And we are so happy to destroy the pleasure of our own people for a bit of PR and votes. Eventually we will have to pay for everything through our noses because it will all come from overseas, we will not be allowed to produce anything in this country for ourselves because it will ALL be tied up by some law or rediculous export policy. We will not have the freedom to go fishing anywhere. Byron Bay is the first and this may be ok for Byron Bay, my fear is that this, as is the Barrier Reef zoning policies, just to create a precedent that will be used in future to close everything.
Take your kids fishing now people so they can tell their grandkids what they're missing out on.
I am a health care professional and PR means something a little bit more apt than Public Relations, it means - bend over and take it up the... you know what I mean [smiley=angryfire.gif]
THIS IS A GOVERNMENT PR EXERCISE BY THE MEDICAL DEFINITION AND I AM TIRED OF BEING SHAFTED WITHOUT A FIGHT - BRING ON THE ELECTION!

old_mate_china
10-08-2004, 05:44 PM
I have spoken before about the almighty con our tourism industry is pulling over our politicians eyes. It is the reef operators, tour guiders and accomodation houses that have the power over the politicians minds. They are smart about too, tis not just their interests but our future's. University courses in Marine biology - I mean shit our kids cant even get a place anymore in one of these courses - but hey no-one actually tells them there is a bout 3 jobs a year in this (real) business and they must actually be tour guides to Japanese and Korean visitors for the rest of their lives (or until they get sick of it at 35 and realise they need a real job to support their wives and families). It is a sad economy propped up by the here and now and whilst I dont doubt that these businesses play a role in our futuire economy we should also look past before looking forward. Byron was a fishing village before it became trendy, so was Fraser and Moreton. Dont get me wrong, I love a good closure based upon sound , rationale and scientific logic, but this stinks of backroom bull dust relevant to no more than staying in power.

KC my friend -you need to learn a lot about the back door if you are going to help our cause down in the colder climate.... Good luck mate - it takes someone special to keep the vision ahead of the game.

Mortalkombat
11-08-2004, 10:11 AM
ok we need to get the fishing party a seat to help stop the rot
will they be on the senate ticket if they are they will get my vote 8)

RASA
11-08-2004, 02:29 PM
Hi Black n Blue

Yes, TFP will have 2 Senate Candidates in the coming federal election for NSW and with a bit of luck a candidate for the seat of Richmond as well as Paterson, Wentworth and Greenway.

Even though this coming election is a federal one most voters do not differentiate between Fed or State issues affecting everyday Australians. If we can show that we can muster support at the level of government that dishes out the funding to the states then I would think that support will be carried down to the next NSW state election.

This Bryon Bay fiasco is only the start of the anti-fishing, anti-everything rot that is setting in in NSW. Many top fishing/safe family spots down the coast are earmarked for closure and with the NPAssociation campaigning to ban 4WD's from every beach between the Vic border and Qld it won't be long before they succeed if let be.
Port Stephens will suffer immensely in the next MP declaration with spots like Seal Rocks and Fingal Island, Broughton Island and local beaches,headlands and even the Estuary to be hit. The TFP is prepared to have a go to protect access and the freedom to fish and the only way that can be done is by way of voter threat to sitting members.

Years of lobbying and so-called consultation is fruitless as can be witnessed now even after anglers were hoodwinked into supporting the RFL. What say do you have really when the government of the day just does what its pre-planned agenda and pandering to the radicals overrides anything you say. Why isn't this anti-fishing lobby looking at the real reasons of resource decline. A look at any waterway down to the Vic border will see the real problems that need prioritising. The development lobby, innefficient effluent programs and poor intertidal flows are my top reasons for a resource downturn.
It is not much use saving the Koalas and trees and then watch it all burn

I will be a Senate candidate in NSW and the following statements are my committments that I stand by and have pushed the party to reflect in its fishing policies.

· The overriding factor will be to have sustainable fishing (recreational, commercial, indigenous).
· The recreational fishing sector and recreational ‘other activities’ remain the number one preferential campaign topic of Freedom To Fish.
· Commercial fishing will be supported in a sustainable management regime where local seafood will be harvested for local consumption rather than export and import.
· I will recognise all stakeholders as part of this sustainable renewable resource on a pro rata contributions basis. i.e. if you benefit from the resource then you will contribute financially to its management.
· Aquaculture fisheries will only be supported if proven to be environmental and specie friendly.
· I will campaign against extra taxes and fees including abolishing the RFL on the basis that I will secure alternate proper funding for departments to do their job that we have elected their governors to do.
· I will campaign to have recreational representatives elected democratically to oversee recreational resource management and research.
· I will campaign on research and development to improve our marine resource and environment.
· I will be supporting small business wherever it may be and seek compensation for those businesses that are compromised by legislation.
· I will seek community input on other everyday Australian concerns regarding the environment, water quality and quantity and public facilities along with their proper funding. Healthy waterways and river systems relate to a healthy economy.
· I will be seeking community input to have improved public facilities for the recreational fisher and boater.
· I will campaign on the continued education for sustainable fishing, not emotional propaganda.
· I will seek a Government program to further reduce the commercial fishing operations Australia wide by securing buybacks from Government Funding.
· I will be seeking TAC’s on the remaining fishing structures.
· I will ensure that sensible legislation and policy is put forward to balance the anti-fishing lobby that will leave recreational fishing to continue rather than be outlawed.
· I will be targeting legislation rather than individuals.

Conditional surrender always leads to further loss of amenity

Bob Smith
Federal Party Chairman and Candidate
TFP

MY-TopEnder
11-08-2004, 02:39 PM
I know where i won't be going at christmas now... unfortunately.