PDA

View Full Version : BAIT

SCOTTYGC
11-08-2004, 12:23 PM
I asked one of my seafood suppliers about some mullet fillets
and he has sent me a 5kg box for $12.50

it came in frozen but he told me it was as good as fresh
i will be defrosting and slicing them up into bait size peices then use the cryovac machine at work to put it into small lots

should it be ok to use as fresh bait?

I know this guy sell fresh fish at the markets in brisse on the weekend
if anybody wants any i could drop you his number

scotty

Billo
11-08-2004, 02:36 PM
its hard to say any frozen bait if fresh , as lets face it...it's frozen !
depending on how old , how it was frozen etc etc it could still compare ....but when you can get FRESH fillets at $4-$5 a kilo.....is it really worth going to that effort ?

I buy it most times before heading out..that morning or the night before if i am out ultra early ( if i am using bait ) and it is still greasy as it was filleted the day before ..

up to you ...some days a day in the freezer is all that stands between the bait that takes the fish and the one that doesn't ...then again , sometimes it makes no difference at all.

up to the individual ...but i only use frozen baits for bream / tailor and sharks and general scavenger fish , the rest of the time it is fresh or LIVE !

Brett_Hoskin
11-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Not for me mate.

My wife is away for a few weeks and I thought I would take some meat out of the freezer , put it in a bowl and left it in the fridge for whan I came home from work. I just went to the fridge , opened the bag and guess what. I had left a large squid head, 6 or so pillies and 6 5 inch mullet out for friggin dinner!!!!

Off now to get a pizza.

seafox
11-08-2004, 03:52 PM
The price seems right even if it is not fresh it will make good burley I have always kept old mullet bait for burley it is good in deep water heavy and sinks fairly quick

moondancer
11-08-2004, 04:06 PM
I'll be around Harry's tommorrow morning using a combo of fresh and fresh frozen mullet (as well as some s/p's) hoping for a snapper.

Will let you know if any luck, and what bait had what results.

My guess is I'll do better on fresh, followed by (hopefully) the s/p's (still waiting for a decent hit on them!!) and the frozen will make good burley!

propdinger
11-08-2004, 04:07 PM
lmao brett
get pizza and sit at a canel and fish while you have your pizza you alread ygot the bait ready....lol ::) ::) :P ;D ;D ;D ;D

jeff

Lucky_Phill
11-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Well Scott, that is a good price at this time of year.

If you add a little Rock Salt to the Mullet before Cryovac, it'll stay firm. Good idea, as you will always have some on hand. Of course, if you head offshore, always add Livies to your bait list.

Probably no need to cut them into bait sizes, unless you ALWAYS fish with the same rig. Sometimes I fish 2 gang 5/0's or 6/0's, sometimes, single hooks on Paternoster rigs, so the size and shape of bait is different.

Having said that, if you cut the bait into a size that will fit the 2 or 3 gang rig, then it won't take much to trim it to a size for single hook rigs.

The Cryovac system is almost perfect for freezing the fillets. This'll just about stop any freezer burn and smell.

I say, get as much as you can at that price, I know at the right times of the year, I can buy Mullet for $1 /kg ( fillets ), but that only is in season, and sometimes I miss that and end up paying 4-5 $ /kg. Bugga !

The Mullet season is yearly, so I usually get about 50kgs. If you have the space, or your mate gets the Fillet to you at that price year round, get lots.

Cheers Phill