PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a charter in Cairns/Daintree

Hookem_Herby
07-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Hi Guys,

Well, I'm off next Saturday on a 2 week holiday up to tropical north Qld.
I'll be sailing the Whitsundays on a charter yacht for the first week then heading up to Cairns, Port Douglas and the Daintree for the second half of the trip. #
Was hoping to get a bit of fishing in whilst up there so if anyone can make any useful suggestions regarding tackle, hot spots, good charter operators or guides then that would be very helpful and much appreciated. #I've never been up there before but was hoping to tussle with a Barramundi or two and maybe even engage in some some reef or bluewater fishing whilst up there. #

So c'mon all you Cairns/NQ locals, please give me some info and goss' and help me have a memorable trip.

Cheers, #

Herby

cHiCo
07-08-2004, 12:25 PM
Gday herbie,
check out www.fishingcairns.com , there is a heap of charters on that page. One that seems to bring up the goods day in and day out is AquaCat. They are a reef charter. The water may be a little cold up here for barra and other estuary species at the moment but the mackeral and pelagics are coming on. Have a look around that site and see what you can find. AquaCat is the way to go for the reef from what ive heard but you will have to get in early.

Cheers

NQCairns
07-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Just today I booked a charter for Sunday, one of my frozen southern mates is coming up for a few days to thaw out. The charter is on the MV Norsman 50fter out of Pt Douglas. Yell out if you want to know what the experience was like.nq

Ps all the cairns charters were booked out till and past tuesday when I rang this morning so book ahead no matter which you choose.

i

Hookem_Herby
08-08-2004, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.
I've checked out the fishingcairns website and emailed Les. He's been very helpful but just thought it may pay to hear what the local lads think of some of the charter operators. :P :-/ ::)
I appreciate the feedback CHiCo - will check Aquacat out and see if I can get on. Do they depart out of Cairns or Port Douglas? ???
Thanks nqcairns - I'll send you a pm to see how you boys went. I've read something somewhere else about the MV Norsman .... meant to be a nice big boat and good charter. Am keen to see the results from your day out. #::) ;)

Cheers,
Herby

Dr_Dan
08-08-2004, 05:07 AM
Herby

Aquacat heads out from Cairns. Only ever heard good reports from people that have been out with them. I've been out a couple of times, and always had a good day out. They know where to find the fish, and they are a good bunch of guys as well, always a ball.

Hope the trip is good for you!

Dan

adrian
09-08-2004, 05:17 AM
hi
fishing the tropics looked after us when we went north . with free pick up in cairns they bent over backwards to look after us

anzac

Mundi
09-08-2004, 10:01 AM
Herby,
Aquacat are certainly worthwhile if your chasing a bit of bottom bashing. If you're chasing anything a bit more serious then you can't go past Kim Andersen (www.kimandersensportfishing.com) IMHO.

Cya,
Mundi

Hookem_Herby
13-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies boys. I'm off this coming Saturday! ::) :o
I have booked a trip aboard Aquacat out of Cairns, another on the Norseman departing from Port Douglas and a half day private charter with Tim Wegner from Ecofishing Tours ex Yorkey's. :)
Hopefully between them they'll manage to put me onto a fish or 3 but I guess only time will tell. Anyhow, thanks to all you guys for the input and info. Greatly appreciated. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] ;)

Cheers,
Herby

cHiCo
13-08-2004, 02:32 PM
No worries mate, hope ya get onto a few, there have been good reports of mackeral offshore and the reefies are still producing the goods. get into em

Dr_Dan
13-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Let us know how you go!

Dan

Hookem_Herby
13-08-2004, 04:54 PM
Will do lads! ;)

Herby

p.s. Hoping to hear back from nqcairns re: his offshore charter trip last w.e ... no news yet from the big fella! :(

NQCairns
14-08-2004, 01:55 AM
Hi Herb,(Just replyed to your PM with abit more info). it was a nice enjoyable easygoing day out on the GBR with those that wanted taking home a feed or two, two big trout were the best catches. Only my second ever charter and first in FNQ, I would go again, very decent boat for bottom bashing, helpfull crew and a skipper who tries.
nq