PDA

View Full Version : Hey there

Ben_Gray
12-08-2004, 10:11 AM
Gday Aushfishos,

Have been reading these chat forums for a couple of months now, and although i have fished since i was about 5, since reading these chat boards my enthusiasm has increased infinately, and there hasnt been a week i havent been fishing since i started reading this site. I can also say that my fishing knowledge has increased dramatically just from reading what you guys have to say.

Have been a bait fisherman all my life, mailny fishing estruary and river systems around the Gold Coast, and occassionaly venture out to palm beach reef with me mates chasing mackeral and taylor a couple of times a year. Still chasing the elusive jew, and angry mangrove jack, have caught a small jack but am waiting for a bigger one. My profile photo is a nice trevalli i caught at the end of last year on a live mullet in some aweful weather, it went 55cm and had my pen powerstick earning its money. It would have to be the best fish ive caught inside. Recently been fishing the beaches around palmy with some good results, been fishing light cause there havent been many tailor about, and have produced some great bream and whiting, and my biggest ever flathead, went just over 3kg. Also like to head to the pin a couple of times a year when the mates get the boat out, usually spend a couple of days at a time there camping.

Soft plastics dont know whether to love em or hate em ???, ive gotten really excited about them from what i have read and seen, spent about $50 on the things and about 6hrs fishing last weekend, a few hits no hookups, but im going to continue trying, they look good in the water and im sure i just lack a bit of technique at the moment :P, im a total newbie to it have only ever fished bait. Im about to head out know and throw some under the highway bridge in the pine river for a couple of hours before picking up the missus from work, im enjoying a Brisbane public holiday today, sorry to those that arent.

Yeah anyways dont think all my posts will be a short story like this one, but im glad that i have finally registered on this terrific web site. Look forward to sending many, and hopefully being able to provide some advice at some stage like the ever valuable tips ive read on this site.

Cheers
Ben

PS. Hope yous have a great time at the M&G this weekend i would have loved have dropped in and met some of the guys, but have other plans unfortunately >:(, always next time ;D

bugman
12-08-2004, 10:37 AM
Welcome aboard Grayman.

Good to see people benefitting from the site.

Bugman

jeffo
12-08-2004, 12:29 PM
a quality first post ben welcome to the site.
hrmm soft plastics or bait... id stick with the bait ;D ;)

bidkev
12-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Welcome to this great site Ben. I've always been a bait fisherman but a bit of my time lately is spent chucking plastics. Had a few Lizards on 'em at the Pin, but nothing great, as of yet. Fishing the bridge at the Pine River? That's pretty close to me and I fish there frequently when I can't get in the Bay......are you local?

cheers

kev

Ben_Gray
12-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Hey thanks for the replies guys, well just had another session with the SPs, after 2.5hrs only got hits from what i reackon were toads they were chasing them right up to the bank, had 3 tails bitten off the things so those ones are no good now.

Yep Kev im local, well fairly close, live in Chermside right near the shopping centre. I know there are flathead around that spot ive seen someone with one everytime ive been there being a total of three times now.

bidkev
12-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Hey thanks for the replies guys, well just had another session with the SPs, after 2.5hrs only got hits from what i reackon were toads they were chasing them right up to the bank, had 3 tails bitten off the things so those ones are no good now.

Yep Kev im local, well fairly close, live in Chermside right near the shopping centre. #I know there are flathead around that spot ive seen someone with one everytime ive been there being a total of three times now.

Yes Ben, I've seen some good lizards there myself. The boat traffic is the main problem though. Take a look at your UBD Page 99 F17 Canterbury Park South Pine River.....it's quieter there and you've got a good stretch to walk along and flick your plastics. I've had some good bream and lizards from there on bait, not to mention catfish, shovellies and stingies.........even caught a trevally once.

cheers

kev

aquarius
12-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Welcome to the ausfish site Grayman.
Try dipping those SP's in some fish attractant......something like aniseed or one of the garlic scents available from all good tackle stores.
Also braided line with nylon trace gives better feel and hookup rates when using the soft plastics.
6lb fireline with a 12 lb trace of Vanish works ok for me.
Cheers #Brent ;)

The_Walrus
12-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Welcome Grayman,

I fish the pine regularly and my most consistent flathead lure are the small and medium Rio's prawns.

I modified them by removing the doubles/trebles and using a single 1/0 tarpon hook. On the smaller rios I just use a single tail hook.

This has made it much easier to release the flatheads as they often have it well down.

You should try further upstream as far as the road bridge to Petrie. Look for shallow areas on the inside of the bends. I prefer the outgoing tide and often cast the lure on the bank and drag it back into the water. Some strikes are in amazingly shallow water.

Luc

Ben_Gray
13-08-2004, 01:54 AM
Wow cheers lads thanks for your advice, would probably have taken me years to work that out other wise. Ill be sure to check out those spots and try those techiniques.

Luc are you talking about casting from the shore onto an exposed bank or are you casting from a boat to the shallow shoreline. I havent mentioned it yet but im landbased, when fishing around the Brisbane area, actually most of the time when i fish.

Ben

The_Walrus
17-08-2004, 03:39 PM
Hi Ben,

I'm casting from my boat towards shallow water.

Unfortunately, a lot of spots can't be accessed from the shore as you would need to get access to private property either the papermill or the quarry.

Luc

Ben_Gray
17-08-2004, 04:19 PM
I thought that would have been the case. Thanks for the advice however, am going to put a day aside soon to go and scope out some sights, i intend to get my shoes dirty getting to them as well so hopefully i can come through with something good. Ive always caught my best fish when ive put in alot of effort to get to them.

Cheers mate
Ben