PDA

View Full Version : valuable info

jeffo
16-08-2004, 03:41 PM
ok, we have had threads about how great a site ausfish is.. so time to lay the cards on the table. if you had to place a price on snippets of information you have gathered on these forums what would be the most valuable piece be?
mine would have to come from scotty,george and webby about the importance of downriggers (not only trolling eh webby :)).

Maria
16-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Weather predictions and the effects of certain weather patterns on fishing.

Ben

cHiCo
16-08-2004, 05:21 PM
probably equipment maintainance and lure selection

nofrills
16-08-2004, 05:34 PM
thanks jeffo

Ive learned all about buying gear on the net.which i never would have done without help from some people on here.and also that i dont have a disorder and other people are as obsessed with fishing as me.
cheers scott

blaze
16-08-2004, 06:00 PM
the real in action sounder pics are a winner and also enjoy the projects in what ever section, bugger me i just read them all
cheers
blaze

nonibbles
16-08-2004, 06:15 PM
The mad buggers who refit old beat up boats and that photo essay about the stinger 580 rampage. Right now all the dirty politics have me intrigued.

Heath
16-08-2004, 07:03 PM
More so the different opinions and view people have. Eg Which Livefibre spin stick.

NQCairns
17-08-2004, 02:12 AM
Love nosing in on all that people are up to with their boating and fishing pastimes [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] also the great tips and hints I get for my addiction, creates a heap more 'in the backyard work' though.nq

bidkev
17-08-2004, 04:30 AM
Practically everything on this site is priceless to me. I'm a stickler for routine and don't take to change very easily. Most of the time, when something has proved fruitful, I tend to stick with that tried and tested method without questioning as to why it isn't working on a particular occasion. This site has taught me to "think outside the square" and that others' opinions/methods may be just as valid as my own, indeed, more valid/useful.

The mindset that fish are likely to be more interested in a "natural" bait is one example. Where I fished in the UK, the water was always so coloured that lures were rarely an option (except for the rattler types) so I have always dismissed them as inferior. This site taught me that lures and SP's play a vital role in the fisho's armoury and can even out fish natural bait on occasions. Boat handling is another example of change that I have had to adapt to and I have learnt more here than in all the books that I've read. To sum it all up, I would say that fishing books are ok but this site beats 'em hands down as this is a "hands on" site where we can share our experiences with others and "brain pick" without feeling inferior and without ridicule. Thanks for all you've taught me.

cheers

kev

Dr_Dan
17-08-2004, 07:03 AM
Too much help to list! ;D

gunna
17-08-2004, 07:18 AM
I've learned that if I sit at my desk in Sydney continually reading about great fishing in Qld then I go bonkers :P :P

agnes_jack
17-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Hey Jeffo!
I personaly couldn't quantify the amount of value I have gotten from this site.
There is an incredible pool of knowledge available here, from a heap of different types of fisher-people. More than a few very experienced fellas in there chosen styles of fishing, who are more than willing to pass on years and years of expertise. If one only uses the info to confirm ones own ideas, it is still priceless. I would say that nearly everytime I log on to this site I learn something, from a new technique or even just keeping up with the latest news on rules etc.

Long live Ausfish! :D :D :D [smiley=laola.gif]

caloundra
17-08-2004, 01:10 PM
don't go fishing with snappa LOL
he must have killed a china man in a past life or something.
things can only get better for you mate just don't give up.

Daniel

moondancer
17-08-2004, 02:50 PM
My key value is on a lot of areas!

The thread on sounder readings has been fantastic! Reading about people's successes & failures with locations and techniques has broadened my horizons on where I fish and how (hasn't improved the catch yet though!!!) And overall, I think just connecting with like minded people who are prepared to share a little, and have a few friendly jibes with each other is fantastic!

Cheech
17-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Can I add one for each topic??

Probably the most valuable info (or multiple info) has been from Banshee. I have had a lot of good advice about chasing the ellusive snapper, and although I am still to get one, he helped make sense of floating baits. Feed line at intervals if no action, using mono for floaters for the float characteristics and stretch and to help stay off the bottom, what angle to set my rod holders ( no more than 30 degrees when using baitrunners), which way and why to rig pillies. (Special mention to Straddie for starting a debate on squire and snapper in feeding characteristics. This made sense of why some say rig up and some say rig down. All about Squire taking gut strikes and snapper taking head strikes), how to fish a bommie compared to a ledge.

A lot of things from Webby I can't include because that was when out with him rather than on the site (but if you take very close attention to his posts, they are often short, but a little here and a little there, and eventually you start getting the full story).

Have to have another in this category. Lucky_Phil and his 4 N's. No lead, no ripples, no noise and no light for chasing shallow water bream. Add to that the secret bait, chook gut (sorry Phil, but you have said it enough times that it is not a secret any longer), and have never failed chasing bream over the last few months.

I suppose in the tackle category, I can include you Jeffo because you helped convince me to buy a Shimano 4500 bautrunner. Best purchase I ever made.

Can I add some more later? There has been so many great things that I am sure I have left some of the top tips out.

Captian_Zero
17-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Jeffo

The most valuable thing I have learned is about landbased spots close to home. Thanks, among others, to Dylan and Maria (Ben) for their posts on the Manly/Bayside area, Beggsy for his tips about fishing Cleveland Point (although I am yet to land a tailor there but a few reasonable bream!!!), Jewies for his posts about his trips to Nudgee (another few nice breambos!!) and Reefmaster for his post on Mullet Mayhem which gave me the confidence to catch a 32cm fish 2 minutes from home.

Also, Chrisso for his posts on Brad Smith's guiding service on the Gold Coast!!! I had a great day and learnt heaps.

And everyone else (too many to name) that have been extremely helpful.

Regards

Chris

DaneCross
18-08-2004, 10:36 AM
I honestly don't know where to start, fishing techniques, locations, what's biting and where, sounder techniques, boat/gear care, developments in fishing regulations/politics/industry. If its been posted, I've read it ;D
Live chat is invaluable. The amount of free info that gets put up there and the direct, specific nature of the answers to your questions is fantastic.
Have to say my most detailed help I have recieved has been from Hagar (Chris) regarding the specifics of fishing for mackerel on Palm Beach reef - and it paid off too! Cheers Chris ;D
Might have to come back and add a few specifics to this post as I think of them :-/
Dane

Robbo_Townsville
18-08-2004, 02:46 PM
For mine you cant go past the Sounder Readings

Cloud_9
19-08-2004, 01:32 PM
i think everything on this site is in the valuable catagory.
if you've ever found some other sites on fishing and not just here in OZ but over the sea's. there site's are pretty slack / in the formate and the info being passed arround.
were lucky to have such a great site to chat on and swap tips and techniques.

Cheers Cloud 9

PinHead
19-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Jeffo..the different species people target and the methods they use is interesting. BUT............

The best thing I have gotten from this site is the people themselves..been to 2 M&G now and a greater bunch of pissheads and great people you will never meet.

Big_Kev
19-08-2004, 02:25 PM
The best thing about this site is the people that I have met.
Some I have fished with, some I have just met face to face and others I just enjoy conversing with via the keyboard.
I love the site, Cheers Kev. :)