PDA

View Full Version : How to make your own Tuna Tubes???

Grozzo
19-08-2004, 09:38 AM
G'day all,

In preparation for the new season which is still just too far away, I am looking at making some tuna tubes for my boat...

They have to be removable, and preferable cheep... I was talking to my local tackle shop guy and he said just make out of conjute (spelling??) with funnel type things to poke the heads of slimies, tuna whatever into... with just plastic hose going into each of the bottom of each tube from the bilge and some sort of over flow feature on the top...

I was wondering if any one has done this before and could give me some do's and dont's types and pics would be great...

Reason I have went for tuna tubes is that i dont have alot of room in my boat and i dont want even less of it (by the way it is a 5m Freedom Sport)

I wsa thinking that they could sit on the back platform or something like that and they HAVE to be removable....

thanks in advance for your help [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

cheers,

Wayne

whiteman
19-08-2004, 10:24 AM
I have a 5.3m half-cabin Quinnie and I use a 56l plastic garbage bin for landing and bleeding tuna, etc. So handy for rubbish as well! Doesn't take of much floor space. Also use it to measure fish as I have a 1m stainless rule and I hold on to the fish tail and hang them next to the rule inside the bin - no chance of them slipping off the gunnel (yes, has happened twice now so more of that lark). Also good for scaling fish on board as it controls the mess.

Grozzo
19-08-2004, 10:52 AM
ummmm what you have said here is not what i was talking about...

Tuna tubes keep fish alive ::) ::) ::)

Thanks for your help anyways... :)

cheers,

Wayne

ken4159
19-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Wayne try this site, might give you some ideas.
Ken
http://www.kodiakmarine.com/tuna_tubes.htm

lordy
19-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Now that I know what they do. Seem kinds of cruel to keep fish in one for a period of time. What do people use them for (apart from the obvious)? Keep fish for a few minutes, hours????? ???

Grozzo
19-08-2004, 12:04 PM
Catch bait put them in and use them for live baits out wide :):):)

I thnk that this is the general drift of it someone please correct me if i am wrong...

cheers,

Wayne

CHRIS_aka_GWH
19-08-2004, 12:08 PM
wayne you are on the money,

a friend of mine at the dunwich research station was talking about them - don't think you need to get too advanced - its all about water flow thru the tube keeping them alive - i'd have it mounted external of course. Big pvc tube closed off at one end - funnel & pick up fed - they pass a bit of water to give the tuna the impression they are swimming & they require big water flow cause their muscles use oxygen big time.

Who would wanna be a tuna ?

Lordy the research station does it to keep them as fresh as possible before they meet their appointment with a scientist #:o

I'm currently cutting 100 pieces of 13mm electrical conduit to be attached around the transom - my "hardihead tubes". #;) ;D gotta get back to it...

chris

Grozzo
19-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Thats what i thought... how hard could it be ;) ;) ;) you dont need to get too complicated, just make it so they cant get out, drown and that they stay alive... i mean how hard could it be lol

Will hopefully be able to pack 4-5 slimies in each tube and i would be laughing i think.... well i think anyways... ;)

cheers and thanks for your help...

Wayne

lordy
19-08-2004, 12:39 PM
I'm currently cutting 100 pieces of 13mm electrical conduit to be attached around the transom - my "hardihead tudes". #;) ;D gotta get back to it...

chris

LOL. Wear them around your waist and you could look like Rambo or some mexican bandit. :o I can just see it now, sneaking up on some poor VC and bringing him down with a live hardihead through the chest. ;D

Heath
19-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Grozzo,

I reckon tuna tubes will do you no favours in keeping slimys alive.

If they are your main bait that are wanting to keep alive, I would go for a tank setup, even if it is outside of the boat.

If on the otherhand it is infact tuna & bonnies that you are wanted to keep alive, tuna tubes are the way to go.

Cloud_9
19-08-2004, 12:44 PM
i have 4.8 m center console and i have live well .takes very little room.
i think the tube idea is not going the be too succesfull for muli fish cenario.
IE : i fish dies through stess its going to block water or push the other fish out of the tube with the water flow.
too much thinking being done when a bait tank can be any bin/bucket or esky, with airator/ bait pump [smiley=lost.gif] [smiley=lost.gif]
less effort for same result.
the KISS principle is usually the best way.

Cheers Cloud 9

Grozzo
19-08-2004, 12:52 PM
Yeah was thinking about all these things.... havent made any deffinate dessisions yet though.... thats why i asked :)

How would you guys who think it is not a good idea, think to have the set up i would prefer it on the outside of the boat at the back ie. on the platform at the very back...

thanks for your ideas and pics would be great in explaining too :)

cheers,

Wayne

Cloud_9
19-08-2004, 01:15 PM
how bout a 20 liter brum (white plastic 1) they usually have treaded hole in bottom for drain just get drill make holes in side at highest water level desirered, cut door flap with hack saw or grinder. fit water scoop or bait pump , make as permenent as you like.
your still going to keep the same number of slimies alive with out all the tubes and crap strapped to the back of your boat.

Cheers Cloud 9

basserman
19-08-2004, 01:25 PM
need to agree with mr cloud
but without knowing your boat set up it is a bit hard like
do you already have deck wash
is your deck a free draining
what room have you got on the back

but with proable more ways to make a live bait tank than types of boats it will be more of how you want ti to look afterwards once you decide that then you just need to read up and ask away untill you find a setup you like ;D

jeffo
19-08-2004, 01:27 PM
wayne- send smithy a PM.. he should be able to put you on the money. tubes for slimies is a waste of time IMO. better off with a live bait tank.
do you want to keep tuna alive for mackeral baits or for billfish?

Grozzo
19-08-2004, 01:36 PM
Nah i just wont them for Bigger dollies and billfish...

I am down in NSW, not that many mac's down here i am in Wollongong... even further away :o :o :o

I think i will just have a tank on the back with an overflow which will be the easiest way i think...

I have a 5m Freedom Sport there is about a 1m platform between the water/motor and the back of the boat (transom??)

Hope this helps... but by the sounds of things i think i will go for a tank just because that is what i will be using them for mainly...

If you have any other ideas for me please let me know cause i am very open to suggestions from your own creations ;D ;D ;D

cheers,

Wayne

jeffo
19-08-2004, 01:40 PM
yep if its just for slimies go a live bait tank.. can be as complaex or as simle as you like. i have kept slimies alive for hours in an esky.. just changing the water every so often with a little bucket.
unless you really want to keep tuna alive a live bait tank should be plenty :)

Grozzo
19-08-2004, 01:42 PM
thanks mate, [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I appreciate the help...

Wayne

Smithy
19-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Try this post.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=Tackle;action=display;num=108573728 4;start=9#9

This was my first version. Ultimately two are better but it did the job. I had these next ones made up and cost about $170. The Rule bilge pumps are about $70 each so you are up for a couple of hundred bucks if you go the full hog. Don't be fooled into thinking you need big bilge pumps for this. I have got away with using 500 GPH pumps but bigger would be better for sure.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=Classified;action=display;num=10788 95131

I have seen Slimey tubes made up in Damon Olsen's charter boat Nomad but they aren't really worth it. The best Tuna Tubes I have seen are in some of the Rivs and a set John Longworth has set up in his 5.2 Kevla Cat "Free Spirit". They are tubes mounted in their live bait tanks so they use the same plumbing and pumps. John's is a custom thing in fibreglass so you will be up for a bit of mula to go that way. Never really seen anything in PVC that would work even though it would be the ultimate if you could get something up and running.

Main thing you have to get used to is the amount of water the Tuna throw out when the splash around. Have seen some good footage from onboard "Reel Chase", one of the top Cairns Marlin Boats where some of the Tuna they use are over 10kg and they absolutely saturate the deckies as they get them in the tubes and settled down.

Heath
20-08-2004, 07:25 AM
This is a setup on a mates boat.

Has the same pod as yours.

Check his website out HERE (http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/powelly), he catches some awsome fish.

Grozzo
20-08-2004, 07:44 AM
G'day Heath,

Thats exactly what i am looking for actually, looks really good.... thanks for the help...

Do you have any more specs on it that you can share??? Hints tips maybe???

Thanks mate,

Wayne

Heath
20-08-2004, 11:14 AM
Here is the link where you can buy them from.
LINK (http://www.bmackay.com.au/dp/lbt480samp.htm)

It has all the specs on the webpage. Might be a bit expensive, you may be able to knock something up yourself.