PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane River (Port of Brisbane)

MY-TopEnder
22-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Hey Guys,

Thought i should bring this to your attention, and possibly someone else can shed some more light on this, BUT after reading on another site, it would appear that because of international regulations... any port/dock/jetty/wharf used by international craft is out of bounds as of July 1.

This basically shuts down anywhere from Hamilton right up to the entrance to the river. According to the map i have seen, it shuts down any fishing in that area oposite the colmslie boat ramp, the wharf up from colmslie ramp just before the gateway but past Raptis seafoods there, and probably the little jetty at VISY recycling there to.

I'm checking out the POB website as we speak but still as yet can't find any more details.

Does anyone know any more about this?

raefpud
22-08-2004, 06:32 PM
Dont know if this can help you or not, but I believe that the only reason that someone can prohibit you from being in the water in a certain area is if the have what is called a "Sea Bed Lease". I believe that there are very few of these leases in Australia, and they generally refer to aquaculture facilities such as oyster racks etc - What you are talking about maybe one of these crazy anti-terrorist ideas that government keeps coming up with. I would suggest you look up that abbreviated term above and see what you come up with - I also suggest you look up what "international legislation" this falls under, as well as the term "out of bounds" - Anything bound by the law is confusing information to identify and locate, especially any international legislation. My experience is that international legislation has no jurisdiction on inland/internal water ways. I'm pretty sure that state and commonwealth govt. in Aust. have sovereignty or jurisdiction of everything within 3nm of the coastline, then again i aint no lawyer and have a hell of a time understanding the subject. its an interesting question that I will throw at my Law lecturer next week, will let u know what i come up with.

Fitzy
22-08-2004, 06:36 PM
I'm told the POB are patrolling the area & are keeping everyone 40 meters away from all structure, including the pipeline on the northside.
Pretty piss poor IMHO.

They've basically blocked most of the better fishing spots around the mouth. Think you're ok from the sunken wall up.

Was thinking of testing them out by throwing the pick in their "no go" area & when they try to move me on, hold my ground & tell them to go get a real cop & see what happens.

Cheers,

fitzy..

MY-TopEnder
22-08-2004, 07:01 PM
You're right Fitzy, its absolute crap, and its all because the federal government have to close this country up tighter than a nun's c**t because of bloody terrorist fears, its a joke.

F**k em i say... i'll be out there tomorrow throwing plastics around under that dock near the gateway there and i tell ya what if they ask me to move on, i won't be going easily. Having said that though... i don't want a $3750 fine turning up in the mail for being in a restricted area.

Capt_FishMan
22-08-2004, 09:09 PM
As of 1 July 2004 the "Maritime Transport Security Act 2003" came in to force.

More rules and regs, including for the Port of Bris.

webby
23-08-2004, 03:53 AM
The new security act came into force on the 1jul04.
There will be signs erected around the entire area, see picture of signs below.
These signs indicate that a waterside restricted zone is in place and access by person or watercraft is restricted to 30m from the vessel at berth. Fines of $3750. aare in forces..
I cannot find anywhere in the act that says you cannot fish near a structure unless, 1 there is a ship at berth 2. one of the below signs are in place.
regards

clutter
23-08-2004, 04:50 AM
By the time you can get close enough to read these signs you are within the restricted area in question. I went and saw the blokes onboard the port security boat last time I was out and they gave me the pamphlets on the subject (they were very helpful and really good to deal with), I believe if you ring the POB they can sent them out to you. Personally I believe a map of the whole river system with all wharves marked and colour coded would have been alot easier to use rather than a whole heap of signs that look very similar from a distance. I also think that for such an important thing to be put in place the communication of it all has been shithouse at the very best. I'll be steering clear to avoid getting a fine, pitty though, there were some fantastic fishing spots around that are now unable to be accessed. Bugger.

Cheers, Clutter

Sandbar
23-08-2004, 05:09 AM
Check out fishingmonthly.com.au bullitan board general fishing discussion for 27july. there is a map of the affected arrears. Basically its anyware where international shipping goes.DB

webby
23-08-2004, 07:34 AM
Heres a map of the effected areas

Fitzy
23-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Well there you go, another chunk of water taken away from anglers!
Bloody shame it came to this. Terrorists have alot to answer for. >:(

fitzy..

jaybee
23-08-2004, 01:42 PM
there goes my brissie river squire spot
:'(

webby
23-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Yes the tug terminals are now a no go zone, plus every other wharf where international ship tie up. Even the main channel is a no go zone, well at least the catties, eels and whalers will now get a respite ;D
Even the new rock wall that stretches halfway to mud, will be a no go zone.
luggage point is still free to fish, and you dont even have to burley ;D
the rockwall and bogey creek are still fishable.
This will also have a big effect on the Bream Tournaments.
This will also put a kitwash on the attack of the raincoat brigade, so beware they'll be looking elsewhere.
regards

MY-TopEnder
23-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Yep... we got chased away twice today. First one was that grain terminal looking thing near Raptis which had the signs up, then they chased us down the river a little (slow bloddy boat stood no chance of keeping up) then we went to get pics of the Brisbane while its still here and they chased us away again Sirens on this time so i shut it down and explained it.

NOT HAPPY JAN!!!!

jaybee
24-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Brian i don't fish the areas u mentioned and a 2nd look at the map today shows i just may be able to squeeze in, geez louise, talk about eskimos fishing in the one hole.
cheers
Joe

Fisheasy
25-08-2004, 06:09 AM
Police were chasing anglers away from Wharfs as early as October last year. #No surprises really.

beefaman
25-08-2004, 08:30 AM
It will be interesting to see what the Bream Tournaments are going to do ???

MY-TopEnder
25-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Well thats just it, they won't be able to run them... good luck to a bunch of fisho's trying to get a federal rule waived for a few days.

deb
25-08-2004, 02:37 PM
Just as well there is a newish ramp near the bne tip to access the bay from with a pontoon, complete waste of fuel putting in at Colmslie and stopping on the way out or in for a few livies or bit of bash while the river mouth is a washing machine.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
25-08-2004, 02:59 PM
i'm sure if we ask nicely they'll extend the red zone around Mud
no-one fishes that structure anyway ;D

webby
25-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Chris I heard on the grapevine that the (Humane Council of Aust & the Beach Errosion Council & EPA) want to close the beaches on Sth Straddie for a few reasons.
1. Too many marine species swimming around with gang hooks in there mouth. ;D
2. Beach errosion due to surf fisherman kicking the shit out of the beach when they miss a hookup. ;D
3. The Aids Council of aust is also worried about the amount of discarded hooks, that could cause injuries to unsuspecting beach walkers and surfers. ;D
4. The EPA are also worried about discarded line, causing some poor sole to get entangled and trip over, thus sueing the G.C.C.C. ;D
Talk about Red Zones ;D
regards

subzero
25-08-2004, 06:20 PM
I'll be buggered!!!
You would have thought they would have put out a warning in Notice's To Mariners. (If they have, I cant find it). First I have heard of these changes is in here.
The number of topic's and the quality of the information supplied by members of this site is extremely valuable to all boaters and non fisherman such as myself.
Never ceased to be amazed by the knowledge base in Ausfish
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Cheers Lloyd

xxxxhornet
26-08-2004, 09:12 AM
As much as it sucks, its going to get more anal, everywhere as the risk of terrorism increases. It might seem like a long time ago that the WTC was hit but you've only got to read the papers to see that they are still out there......

There are at LEAST 6 ships per day coming in to Brissy and it would put a lot of people out of work if it was shut down from a terrorist act because its a 'soft target'.