PDA

View Full Version : Reef chief talks up rezoning benefits

jaybee
26-08-2004, 06:55 PM
ABC News
Last Update: Wednesday, August 25, 2004. 1:33 PM (AEST)

The head of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority believes that in time the rezoning of the park will be viewed as a milestone.

Fishing is now banned in one third of the marine park.

The Federal Government has responded to fishing industry opposition by announcing a structural adjustment compensation package, which is expected to soon be revised up.

The authority's Virginia Chadwick has told an oil spill prevention conference in Brisbane the community has high expectations when it comes to protecting the reef.

"I hope that people will look back and say, 'well, thank God they stepped in and protected not only the reef, but the rights of people who use it', because I genuinely believe that some of the work we have done will protect the reef," she said.

jaybee
26-08-2004, 06:56 PM
milestone? wonder what the next milestone? will be?
cheers
Joe

nulla
27-08-2004, 03:34 AM
More of the usual propaganda from GBRMPA - How have rec fishers rights been 'protected' and where is our 'compensation'?

megafish71
27-08-2004, 03:52 AM
Do they mean all the areas that fishing has been banned on to make way for more areas of the reef that can be distroyed like the reef surrounding Green Island. All in the name of tourism. ??? ??? I really like how just after the green zones were past by the government that a planned man made island to be built at Moore Reef also gets approval. Yeh thats the way GBRMPA continue to make your management decisions without any scientific studies or research and soon you will have to ban fishing in more areas as the protected areas will also be stuffed by your mismanagement. I suggest you lot should pull your heads out of the pollies buts and start doing the right think by the reef and stop chasing votes for your polly mates.
Ron