PDA

View Full Version : The Fishing Party (Qld) Press Release

kc
27-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Well, for beter or for worse here we go!!

I guess it is time for us to put up or shut up. Wish us luck, Thanks for all your input to date & if we fail to make at least a significant dent in voting patterns then get ready to lose 30% of the SE corner to green zones!

KC

Press Release

August 26, 2004

The Fishing Party (Qld) Nominates Senate Candidates

The Fishing Party (Qld) confirmed its 2 senate candidates to contest the federal election for Qld Senate seats.
Founding branch chairman Kevin Collins and Townsville chandlery owner Darryl Whitford will fill the number 1 & 2 slots on the party’s senate ticket.
Proserpine tackle shop owner and high profile Proserpine dam Barra Fishing guide Lindsay Dobe has been appointed as new branch chairman.
The Fishing Party (Qld) was formed in March 2004 in response to growing concerns amongst the recreational fishing community that Governments, at all levels, had a clear anti-fishing agenda and refused to consider the input of Queenslands 800,000 recreational fishers in many areas of marine resource management. The biggest issue was the lack of consideration of the 30,000 submissions from recreational fishers into the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park zoning plan. “For many years recreational fishers have participated in the various committees, talk fests and public consultation opportunities provide in regards marine resource management and continually watched on as more and more areas were closed, and more and more ill-conceived and poorly researched restrictions were imposed”.
“The way government and its agencies have dealt with fisheries management is symptomatic of how they deal with so many issues these days, pandering to big business and multinationals at the expense of everyday Australians”. “Finally we have collectively woken up to the fact that the only thing Governments really take any notice of is votes and the power of the old I FISH & I VOTE motto is about to be put to the test”. “There will now be someone recreational fishers can actually vote for”, said party spokesperson and senate candidate Kevin Collins. “Our first priority will be seeking a place on the board of the GBRMPA for both a recreational and commercial fisheries representative and seeking an admission by the Howard Government that recent marine park closures have been driven by political will and the GST deal done with Meg Lees’ Democrats and not science”. “The Fishing Party (Qld) is not and never has been about unrestricted access to the fishery but it wants the truth and real science used to identify areas which require protection and then protection to be by way of total exclusion zones rather than the PR sham which is the green zone debacle”.

ENDS

Media enquiries 0414 785 462

megafish71
27-08-2004, 02:24 PM
Well done Kevin & Darryl. Good to see that you both got your faces on the local news tonite. Hope to see the fishing party get alot more press exposure in the lead up to the election. Its all official now so its up to all of us to spread the word on what the fishing party stands for and be sure that we get you guys seats in the senate. Again well done guys, you've got my support.
Ron

seafox
27-08-2004, 05:14 PM
I agree well done Kevin & Darryl. How can we help?

kc
27-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Thanks Guys and Ron pretty well hit it on the head....spead the word. We don't have all the answers, we don't have the experience and we don't have a magic fix....what we do have is recreational fishers rights at heart and are prepared to have a go. Either rec fishos vote for The Fishing Party (Qld) or demonstrate that they are happy with the way the major parties, democrats and greens are looking after us and vote for them...pretty simple choice really!!

For those really keen to help we will be looking for booth workers all over the state.....& you will even get a free I FISH & I VOTE T-shirt.wow!! Could become a collectors item

Cheers all

KC

agnes_jack
28-08-2004, 03:56 AM
Good on ya guys!!!!
Your doing a great job, keep up the good work. We must have a voice.
Come on everyone, lets get behind these guys. They have all of our interests at heart, they deserve all the support they can get. We need to appreciate all the time and effort they are putting in, for little more than there passion for our sport.

GO THE FISHING PARTY [smiley=laola.gif]

Regards, Tony

SNELLY
28-08-2004, 04:43 AM
Well Said Tony & Ron

Kev & Darryl - good on you guys - You have put in tonnes of time and effort.

LET'S NOT SEE THEIR EFFORTS WASTED - SPREAD THE WORD AND SUPPORT THE FISHING PARTY !!!!!

Snelly

Fisheasy
28-08-2004, 05:45 AM
Don't think that the closures in the s.e. aren't going to happen. Word up in Hervey Bay suggests that quite a number of areas are going to be closed to fishing. If you flyfish Little Woody, that's one of many!
Also talks of a pearl farm up there?? Anyone else heard of that one?

agnes_jack
28-08-2004, 05:53 AM
Rumor also has it that the estuary systems are next to come under scrutiny.
Lets keep it all in balance!

Tony

whiteman
28-08-2004, 06:21 AM
Which shop does Darryl own? I'll support it.

megafish71
28-08-2004, 07:20 AM
Darryl owns The Ships Bell in Townsville. He also has a very informative segment on the 4K1G fishing show on Saturday mornings for all those people living in NQ.
Townsville 107.1FM
Mackay 105.9FM
Cairns 98.7FM
From 7 to 10am Saturdays
Ron

Ebs
28-08-2004, 09:10 AM
Good on ya Gents.
You have my 100% support. Keep us posted of anything else we can do to help out.
Those bloody hipicrits in the main stream parties wouldn't know a guppy from a whale let alone what the needs are for our sport & recreation.
2nd release - Great to hear that someone is listening.
Mick

kevy
28-08-2004, 09:42 AM
well done fishing party, you,ve got me. (demo,s & greens poohey.) ;) ;)

kc
28-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Hey Ebs,....not just listening...actually doing something for a change. The amazing power of a voting block when an election is looming is quiet overwhelming.

I Fish & I Vote is finally actually going to mean something...listen to Nugget on the fishing show in the morning for more info. For those who, quite rightly, doubted our ability to see this though and actually make a difference...guys, if we acheive nothing more than we did today with the adustments to the RAP package and the public recognistion by Government that they got in wrong in not considering rec fishing then it has all been worth the grief, lost fishing time and frustration.

That said we still need members, we still need booth workers and we still need money to give this our best shot...join up join up, its time to get on board

Regards

KC