PDA

View Full Version : sea sickness

greg30
27-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Does anyone know something good for sea sickness thanks guys greg30

searaider
27-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Greg30,
Some times I get seasick , If it looks like its going to be a rough trip I take 2 Kwell tablets before I go . Usually once your sick its too late to take them .
You can get them at the chemists .
Try and drink plenty of water , its normal for them to make you real dry in the mouth .
I usually take some dry crackers to chew on as well .

Regards
Peter
Searaider 2

seafox
27-08-2004, 04:52 PM
I believe this question was posted a few weeks ago with some good sound advice I suggest you check out the post from then [smiley=book2.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Cheers

cuda
27-08-2004, 04:52 PM
the seasick tablets i use are kwells
they need to be taken 30 minutes before travel

philip_thomson
27-08-2004, 05:51 PM
i have a ritual i follow when going offshroe so far it hasn't failed me much.

i eat no fruit for the day before generally lots of bread and pasta. Then i have an early night with no alchohol. Wake up a few hrs before leaving and get used to the standing up poistion. I find if i go from bed to standing on the boat it will make me sick. I take 1 kwell the night before and then 2 the next morning 30minutes before i leave. I take about 3litres of drinking water with me and drink that. I find if you watch were you are going in the boat it is better or atleast not watching the waves as you go over them.

i used to get sea sick in less than half a metre seas. (i think it may have been excitment) Since i started to do this my limit has increased alot.

hope you can fight through the sea sickness
good luck
phil

Burley_Boy
27-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Don't drink coffee or tea with milk before going out, go light on the breckie. Kwells which contain hyoscine hydrobromide are effective at drying out your mucus and saliva production thus is quite effective as an anti nausea agent but the side effect is a very dry mouth. Bring along an apple or two and it really helps against the side effect but cut back the dose if you can.

The more you go out the better you'll get. ;D

dazza
28-08-2004, 03:14 AM
a big feed of sardines on toast for breakfast, followed by a couple of shots of tuna oil before departure. once that has been jiggled aroung in you guts for an hour or so, it makes the best burley.
i am a great believer in making the the best out of a bad situation- nothing better to have a mobile burley machine on board ;D ;D ;D
fortunatley have never had the experience of being sea sick YET, i hope i never do
good luck with your cure
cheers
dazza

Fisheasy
28-08-2004, 05:47 AM
Seasickness tablets from Pahilia Pharmacy in N.Z. I'll try to post details when I get home.

Hutcho
28-08-2004, 06:11 AM
There's only one word KWELLS. Whoever invented them has saved many an angler from a dodgy day on the water. Whoever said "just stare at the horizon" was kidding themselves!

megan
28-08-2004, 06:13 AM
Yep Kwells are the way to go - I get sea sick in flat water! I just take a kwell 20mins before I hit the water and I'm right for the day. The Kwells cost about $8 for a pack of 10.

Leo_N.
28-08-2004, 07:42 AM
Ginger (glace) is also good for all forms of motion sickness. If you look at the ingredients on motion sickness packets they often contain ginger.

gunna
28-08-2004, 08:13 AM
I was one of the world's worst when it came to spewing. I get outside with a lot more confidence these days. Recipe -

1 pill at bedtime - either Kwell or Dramamine
1 pill when I wake then one every 3 hours whether I feel crook or not
2 ginger tablets with each pill - except for the night one
Stay hydrated & well fed
Avoid doing anything on board that makes you look down into the boat.
No booze

kevy
28-08-2004, 09:55 AM
seasickness iv,e seen some good ones, fortunately i don,t suffer. i have a mate that fishes with me, & his remedy is to quaff a couple of golds, works for him & i have a couple to keep him company. good luck, kevy. ;) ;)

Morlers
28-08-2004, 01:34 PM
I always make sure I eat crystalised ginger when I'm on the water. I love ginger anyway but it really calms the gut. Coupled with kwells as mentioned above, lots of water and you'll be right.

:) :)

Morlers

Dug
28-08-2004, 06:18 PM
See you doctor and explain the situation Kwells and ginger are both good but there are some prescription drugs out there that are great too.

MMMM drugs [smiley=laola.gif]

Be careful some of them can have unpleasant side effects [smiley=sick2.gif] so talk to your doctor first.

PG
29-08-2004, 07:15 AM
if you have time, experiment with the kwells before you go out. I take 1/2 tablet the night before I go out and 1/2 tablet that mornming about 30 mins before we set out. I once tried two tablets cos I definitely didn't wanna get sick, I ended up getting put off on an island trying to stop going loopy while I lay on the rocks holding the ground wishing it would stop spinning. Scary stuff I can tell ya !
Avoid alcohol the night before. In the morning don't drink coffee and tea, drink water and take dry biscuits, water etc with you. Something to chew is good too like lollies or chewing gum. Don't look down too much and catch lots of fish because that helps keep your mind off it. :)

baldyhead
29-08-2004, 08:14 AM
Greg30 If you are like me and get seasick standing on a timber jetty, well you need a miracle. I have been taking Avil Antihistimine Hay Fever tabs since the early 70's when, on an open day visit to an American Warship I met the captn of the ship and asked what did the crew take for sea sickness. He gave me a packet of pills which I took to my chemist mate who said that the active ingredient could be found in Avil. I had found the miracle as I could even sit on the floor of the boat rigging gar after taking one pill and NEVER even feel crook.
A word of caution tho, the use by date is critical, small shelf life and when it's up u will get crook, trust me!
I take the 45.3mg pills. One day I bought a bottle of em and took 1 as usual then went fishin on reef and was I crook!! Turned out that I had bought a bottle of Avilettes @ 10mg what a ########...I didnt read the label lol...took em @ 5 @ a time till finished.
I find that 1 about an hour before going out is good and only sometimes have I taken a 2nd one about 1pm. If you use these you will need to take some PK's to counter act the dry mouth. I have also drunk copious amounts of rum after taking them (on shore after the trip) without any problems. They also make you drowsy but I dont have that problem(usually i am the skipper).
My new bottle of 50 is labeled as Avil Travel Tab 45.3mg $12.30
cheers baldy

ba229
29-08-2004, 08:51 AM
Stop drugging yourself guys.

The answer is band aids across the nipples. Don't ask why but it works. if you do feel a little off get your mate to give them a good flick (through the band aid) and all will be well.

When you realise you are going to be fine get into the grog and enjoy yourself.

jeffo
29-08-2004, 09:08 AM
go to the bakery and buy 4 cheese and bacon rolls, a 600ml coke and a big ice break ;D thats my prevention method ::) ;D

but then again ive only been crook twice, once after a dodgey feed of hungry jacks and the other was due to sunstroke (dead flat day in the middle of summer with no hat [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=stupid.gif])

krazyfisher
29-08-2004, 12:19 PM
kwells just dont work for me but I use avomine never been sick using it

Maria
29-08-2004, 01:58 PM
Alex...you stay away. Stay far, far away from me you suspect. ;D

Ben