PDA

View Full Version : RIVERFIRE

POWDER
17-08-2004, 01:34 PM
TODAY WAS THE DAY TO REGISTER YOUR BOAT FOR ACCESS TO THE RIVER FOR THE FIREWORKS.
REGISTRATION WAS 9AM TILL 12. I GOT THERE AT ABOUT 8 AND WAS 155TH IN LINE.
BY 9 ID SAY THERE WAS AT LEAST 300 PEOPLE THERE WITH ONLY 355 SPOTS AVAILABLE. ANYBODY WHO CAME LATER ID SAY WOULD HAVE MISSED OUT.
ON THE BRIGHT SIDE,REGISTRATION WAS SUPPOSED TO BE $25. FOR SOME REASON IT ENDED UP FREE ;D .
I HAVNT TAKEN THE BOAT BEFORE SO IF ANYBODY KNOWS THE BEST VANTAGE POINT LET US KNOW.
IM SURE THE KIDS WILL LIKE IT.IM ALSO SURE THEY WILL PROBABLY DRIVE ME NUTS.
LET ME KNOW IF ANYBODY ELSE IS GOING AND ILL KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR YA
CHEERS

bungie
17-08-2004, 01:38 PM
how did you find out today was the registration day ?

POWDER
17-08-2004, 01:53 PM
IT WAS PURE ARSE.I RANG BISBANE CITY COUNCIL ON FRIDAY AND THEY FILLED ME IN. I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE REST OF THE PEOPLE THERE BUT THERE WAS A HEAP OF THEM.MUST HAVE BEEN ADVERTISED SOMEWHERE

MY-TopEnder
17-08-2004, 02:34 PM
FARK!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to take the friggen boat down there this year. GRRR that shits me off. ###### bloody council mob could have publicised it better.

skelz
17-08-2004, 02:47 PM
dont wanna rub it ib but i to registered today or wifie did ( number 146). was given all sorts of stuff water bottle display flag. I have been told that near the story bridge is the best

MY-TopEnder
17-08-2004, 02:49 PM
I'll give ya a bottle of rum for ya space....

Richo1
17-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Please do us a favour, when travelling upstream stick to the right hand(starboard) side of the river and likewise when travelling down river. You will need to get a spot early, as the best spots are taken by about 1300, even earlier if you have a big boat. Make sure all your nav lights are working as there will be more water police and boating and fisheries than you can poke a stick at! Mind you, they turn up just before the fireworks start and leave as soon as they finish.
Cheers Richo
P.S I'll be driving one of the city cats! Don't hold that against me !!!! :)

Cheech
17-08-2004, 03:15 PM
So does that mean that every time I get on a city cat, if I ask the guy docking if richo is driving today, if I get a yes, introduce myself, then I will get to give a cat a run. That would be a hoot.

Richo1
17-08-2004, 03:25 PM
Yeah give us a yell, and I'll certainly say G'day. Don't know if I'll let you drive it though, the company has a problem with people smashing boats into pontoons! ;D
Richo(scott)

Jeremy
18-08-2004, 09:10 AM
I'll be there with bells on. This will be my 4th time for riverfire. 3 other people from my work going too, so we'll probably raft up.

Jeremy

adriancorrea
18-08-2004, 11:40 AM
Hi all
what date is it on???

Tight Lines
Adrian

MY-TopEnder
18-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Saturday 28th of August

aquarius
18-08-2004, 06:37 PM
The wife and i will be there again this year.......registered number 220 in the line on Monday at South bank parklands.
Awsome experience last year and can't wait for this years display.
I will be staying overnight under the storey bridge as i did last year........A mad rush to get back to a boat ramp after the show something i can do without!!!!!!!!
I heard Suncorp put the $25 fee on the brochure just to try and keep the numbers down.
Cheers Brent

MY-TopEnder
18-08-2004, 06:43 PM
What i want to know is what if joe blow wants to legitimately sit in the river fishing don near say Newfarm Park? are the water police gonna come shuffle you along?

Richo1
18-08-2004, 07:49 PM
No you'll be fine there. As far as I'm aware, downstream of the storey bridge is open to all craft.Only between the Storey bridge and the Victoria Bridge requires a flag. will let you know more when they decide to tell the ferries what's going on!

MY-TopEnder
19-08-2004, 05:18 AM
Cheers Richo...

If i can't get a flag, i'd still like to be as close as i can.

oscar
19-08-2004, 07:06 AM
re: River Closure, from Mowbray Park, to just past West End at Orleigh Park.
you can get a map from the internet, www.riverfestival.com.au , go to river fire then, river fire closure map, it's in PDF.

PS: Next year, we should get some prior notification posted on this site, and with a bit of organisation, we could have all the 300+ sites full of AusFish members, and turn it into a giant M & G afterwards.
oscar

POWDER
19-08-2004, 01:18 PM
That sounds like a great idea mate.

Richo1
19-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Thanks Oscar. :)

michael_Brewer
20-08-2004, 06:52 AM
Skelz, I think I was 142 or 144, I was the young fella with the dark jumper on right in front of ya #;D!

If anyone's got any advice it would be very helpful! I haven't been up the river before and not sure if my boat is suitable! I have a 3.7 edgetracker with a 9.9 hp! I'm takin the mrs with me so I don't want her gettin bashed around to much. any ideas on a good place to park with a good view? the other thing is ill be gettin MUMMY :-* to pick us up at about midnight. Is there anywhere that is accessible to us which shouldn't be still to packed out by midnight? Just really unsure as to where to put in... or does anyone know of somebody with a private ramp that I could slip a few bucks to use for the night?
cheers big mick!!!

p.s if ya see us out there give us a yell.

adriancorrea
20-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Cool
Im on day shift this year, looks like Ill be at kangaroo point.
Where and when did they advertise for the flags, so as I can look out for them next year.

Tight Lines
Adrian

michael_Brewer
20-08-2004, 09:39 AM
they didn't, ya just gotta keep a lookout on the site when river fire starts to get advertised.
mick

skelz
20-08-2004, 04:35 PM
mick
The wife lined up lucky.. I would be interested in some tips. I am taking a mate and his wife and we are trying to work up how she going relieve herself if we have to be there early to secure a spot....have a half cabin

aquarius
20-08-2004, 05:07 PM
Channel 9 will cover the action with a special live broadcast on Suncorp Riverfire simulcast with Triple M from 7pm ;)

michael_Brewer
20-08-2004, 07:53 PM
you goin aquarius?

MY-TopEnder
21-08-2004, 03:39 PM
We'll be down at Mowbray pack as we can't get in any further... at least we'll sort of be in the spirit of things. 8am we're hitting the water and fishing all day then moving down later for the fireworks. Hopefully we'll see the stuff from the story bridge barge and we can see the dump and burn.

oscar
21-08-2004, 05:14 PM
The non existent River Fire facilities on the Brisbane River are a disgrace to any river city, and you can only wonder what is being done with the millions of dollars collected from boat registrations. The festival has highlighted this inadequate situation.

Some of my observations:

There are 180000 registered rec. boats in Qld.
Over 100000 are in SE Qld. with access to the Bris. River.
Over 50% are less than 5 meters.

The government considers that the Brisbane River can only handle 335 boats safely. The other 90000+ boat owners miss out.

These 335 boats that are divided into three areas, have not been provided with any shore facilities, as a number of members have found out. An early arrival is essental for a good vantage point; woman and children have not been catered for.

With such a large and beautiful river, it's time for action from the government. They are great on "the user pays", but after he has paid when do the returns come!
It's no wonder boaties are not happy with the present situation.

oscar

MY-TopEnder
21-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Thats a very good point actuall Oscar... might be worth calling Extra about that one and see if we can stir the pot a little about this. I know i'd love my oportunity to vent my opinions on the hush hush way the flags became available.

aquarius
21-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Yes Mick i'm leaving from White Island boat ramp around lunch time........The Storey Bridge area is my destination.
Going to stay overnight the same as i did last year........Heard the next day some people waited 1 hour to get there boat back onto the trailer.
Take care going up river as the bigger boats put out some BIG WASH!!!!!!!see ya there mate, come and say gidday if you can fight your way through the crowds.
Cheers Brent

Richo1
23-08-2004, 06:31 PM
To all you guys without flags... Correct me if I'm wrong, the river closure only means that you cannot move, you must be anchored by the specifed times. Downstream of the Storey bridge, away from the prohibited zone, what is to stop you anchoring, as long as your on the Kangaroo Pt. side of the port buoys? Likewise in the Milton reach? eg. if your not blocking the main channel and flow of traffic, there seems to be lots of space that is not designated as spectator craft areas(flags required) or prohibited area. Worth looking into if your keen to be part of the fun!! There will be fireworks in the milton reach also...The river closure and other announcements are usually made on VHF CH13, all comercial vessels monitor CH13 when upstream of the Gateway Bridge. The water police are contacted on either CH 13 or Ch63. .
Cheers Richo ;)

michael_Brewer
24-08-2004, 02:26 PM
sorry but just refreshing my earlier post! Me and the sheila will be headin out probably about 2ish and back around midnight! Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to put in, it's only a small boat and I don't want a long trip there havin her getting bashed around all the way up the river (that's for me to do ;)). Where's the main boat ramp?

has anyone ever put in at bulimba?... is it very far up the river for a tinny?

can anyone recommend a good spot to anchor to watch the fireworks (keeping in mind, the tinny's only small ;D)?

cheers mick!

MY-TopEnder
24-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Mick... Colmslie is probably the closest ramp, a few parks there, and its a good ramp with the floating pontoon. It also has a bit of beach there to now.

If you've got a flag, the Kangaroo Point spot would be best, you're right in the middle of it there.

bungie
24-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Beaumont St breakfast creek. and the top end of riverside drive near the william jolly bridge, but both will be packed tighter than a nuns .......... and every crook from here to timbuktoo will be in the carparks looting :(

Richo1
24-08-2004, 03:47 PM
You could try the West End boat ramp which is just upstream of the William Jolly Bridge. Its a good ramp but you would need to be early to get a park I reckon. Watch the wash(from other boats) when your launching gets a bit nasty.

oscar
24-08-2004, 04:42 PM
With near 700 views of this subject, next year will be different, you'll have to be there early to beat me. ;)

bungie
27-08-2004, 12:39 PM
To all you guys without flags... Correct me if I'm wrong, the river closure only means that you cannot move, you must be anchored by the specifed times. Cheers Richo ;)

nope, from http://www.riverfestival.com.au/2004/content/standard.asp?name=04_RiverFireRiverEntryPermit

"With in the restricted area of the Brisbane River between Mowbray Park East Brisbane and Orleigh Park West End, the Regional Harbour Master has allowed limited vessel access and these limited permits will be available."
Without a flag you cannot go within the the restricted area :(

MY-TopEnder
27-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Yeah but my my reckoning that just means that the prime viewing spots allocated on the maps.

If you look at the maps you'll see the prohibited areas (funnily enough, around the barges) then the designated spectator areas. As far as i understand, the closures are just to stop any traffic between 6pm and 8:45pm. This would obviously be when the roulettes are doing their thing, and when they're setting dets up for the barges.

If you ring the riverfire hotline, they still have no idea. I suggest if you're going anyway, like i will be... just check with the authorities on the day and ask them where you're allowed to be.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
27-08-2004, 02:32 PM
Full moon 30th !!!!

i'll #watch from a jew hole at the pin - try to keep the noise down guys ok ;) !!

I was there last year courtesy of Sensis on a BIG luxury sailing cat, free food & grog - the show is somethin' else & an excellent sense of community about the whole thing - thousands of strangers just stopping & enjoying something together.

Mick Brewer be careful - there is wash going in every direction - your best bet going home would be to put on a lifejacket & follow in the wash of something big & slow.

the heat from the afterburners at riverlevel is stunning

chris

michael_Brewer
27-08-2004, 05:59 PM
thanks all, I headed down to the colmslie ramp last night! The ramp looks good. it's only two lanes and it is a very long ramp (shit for tossas that can't back a trailer!) good facilities, pontoon, sand bank! should be good, hope it's not to packed! thanks chris will do!
cyas there!

bugman
28-08-2004, 10:24 AM
WOOO HOOOO

I got as flag ... you just wouldn't believe what can fall into your lap if you speak to the right person.

We'll be launching from the private ramp at Yeronga and be travelling down stream to the area around southbank.

I can't be bothered going that early and was thinking about 4-5ish. Do you think I'll still get a parking spot. Given the reduction of flags I thought it should be ok.

Should we have a special call-in of ausfishers at around 6ish on a VHF channel. The repeater is 21 so we could use that and maybe swtich to another if we get in contact so as not to bother everyone else!

Look for the Bogey with the big pimple on top.

Whoo Hooo

Bugman

bungie
28-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Sorry fellers, but the Brisbane city council ph 3403 8888 say that there is NO anchorage between Mowbray Park East Brisbane and Orleigh Park West End with out a flag :'( :'( [smiley=bigcry.gif]

boatboy50
28-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Hi Guys,
I have been lucky enough to get aboard a friends 38 footer for the riverfire show.
Never been there before, but heading up from the Gold Coast very early.
We have a flag, and expect to get into that area by about midday.
Where do you guys think would be the best vantage points?
Ive never even seen the show on tele so dont know what to expect.
Should i be trying to get somewhere near southbank itself, or closer to the Story Bridge as has been mentioned. I see on the map even the west end area has been closed, should we try to get up there? Is the area near the Kangaroo point cliffs going to be any good?
What about the river cats? Should we be as close to the side of the river as practicle? I imagine its gunna be a s??tfight, so i dont want to annoy anyone else.
Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Darren

michael_Brewer
28-08-2004, 03:34 PM
here's a little map i made, best I can do for yas! I should have picked a better colour to point out the anchorages.... Most anglers seem to shit emselves when they see green areas on a chart! ;) still not sure the best place to go, i might just have to see what its like on the day!
cant wait! I'll probably be at the anchorage on the left! hope to see some of yas out there!
cheers mick ;D

aquarius
30-08-2004, 04:46 AM
Hi Folks......Another great night on the water watching the fireworks displays.
Had 2 close calls when a 12 metre yacht was turning in amoungst the boats and his anchor on the bow was headed for my motor :o, had to push him away.
Then as the tide turned all the boats came close together and my anchor dragged so it was 3 atemps to get the thing to grab.
We ended up just outside the no go zone but could do nothing as the fireworks were about to start.
Here,s a pic taken at 1 pm yesterday......imagine what it was like at 5pm..lol
This will be my last trip to riverfire in the boat.
Have been twice and really enjoyed it but hey you have to watch out for all those boats close by!!!!!
Cheers #Brent

MY-TopEnder
30-08-2004, 03:39 PM
We weren't far from where you were Aquarius... it was rather fun when the tide changed. We came a little close to bumping a few boats but i was onto it and changed position quickly before we hit anything.

The friendly people in the sailing yatch 'Simba' sent a whole heap of leftovers down to us on their dingy which was kind of them.

We got into position at about 1pm and of course we launched in the ultimate of heat and ######## me was thinkin yeah she'll be right mate i don't need a jumper... yeah class decision from a numbnuts like me.

And of course the main things they say not to do in a storm... be near a body of water, and be near metal objects. So of course we're in a slab of aluminium in a bloody river with lighting all around us on the way back to the ramp. And how rough was the bloody river on the way home... it was like being thrown into a washing machine. We crawled it back. Only to find two dopey cops "helping" at the ramp.. these guys had no idea. Then there was old mate with a flashy hainsy on the back of his flashy 100 series landcruiser... normally you drive the boat onto the trailer, but this toolbag backed the trailer under the boat to the point where water was lapping at the back doors.

All in all.... awesome night.