PDA

View Full Version : Transport Operations (Marine) Regulation 2004

Kerry
28-08-2004, 03:56 PM
So who has looked into this lot #??? Appears like a different outlook towards Epirb servicing, Fire extinguisher servicing, diving flags, water skiing, driver licencing etc etc Came into affect August 16.

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/SLS/2004/04SL159.pdf

Cheers, Kerry.

Capt_FishMan
28-08-2004, 04:26 PM
Here's a link to an easy to read, fact sheet about it...

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/MSQ.nsf/ReferenceLookup/fact_sheet_recreational.pdf/$file/fact_sheet_recreational.pdf

oscar
28-08-2004, 05:32 PM
From August 16th 2004.
Section 29 (3) (c):
"A ship must display a flashing white all-round light if the ship is operating in the Brisbane River."

money, money, money.

Mad_Barry
28-08-2004, 05:56 PM
The hire boat fleet operators won't like this one,

Now: Regardless of the type of hull or the ship’s top speed, after 1 September 2005 all recreational ships with an engine power greater than 4.5 kW or six (6) hp (around 100-150cc) now require a Recreational Marine Driver Licence to operate. (84(2)(f), 232)

basserman
28-08-2004, 05:56 PM
thats no good the blinking light will only work half the time :-X ;D

Sportfish_5
28-08-2004, 07:44 PM
What about this no operating a vessel within 30m of a freakin diver. What happens now when the pricks pull up when youre already fishing and hoist their flag ?

Capt_FishMan
29-08-2004, 12:52 AM
From August 16th 2004.
Section 29 (3) (c):
"A ship must display a flashing white all-round light if the ship is operating in the Brisbane River."

money, money, money.

I hope when they say "operating", they mean underway, otherwise it would be annoying to have a
light constantly flashing, while your anchored up and fishing.

I guess a simple white strobe light will do the trick.

It should be interesting to see how many boats on Saturday night have a flashing light for sky fire.

Hopefully the water police will be a little lenient and just hand out warnings, since the law has only
just came in and I doubt many boaties will know about this.

25_ponies
29-08-2004, 03:12 AM

money, money, money.

Guys, check the Act s29(3) again -

"Also, the ship must display a flashing white all-round light if
the ship—
(a) is used for training or competition; and
(b) is not powered but is propelled by using oars or paddles;
and
(c) is operated on the Brisbane River."

the "and" means that all 3 have to be true, so it mostly only applies to those school rowing boats, not us fishos. This is also stated on the fact sheet that Capt_Fishman gave the link to.

Kerry
29-08-2004, 04:23 AM
What about this no operating a vessel within 30m of a freakin diver. What happens now when the pricks pull up when youre already fishing and hoist their flag ?

That's what is called arrogrant pricks [smiley=veryangry.gif] and some would deliberately do that just because they think they can. Obviously there needs some clarification of this one.

Cheers, Kerry.

Kerry
29-08-2004, 04:32 AM
The Epirb servicing is interesting as some manufacturers made models that could be serviced with batteries 9specifically outlined in the manual) from the super market shelf.

Fire extinguishers. That will apply to everybody required to carry such and now must also be serviced and tagged by an official service centre.

Water skiing. One is now "water skiing" when towing the kids on a tube, license and observer required as per the real thing.

And if one looses a vehicle license (drink driving) then the same disqualification can apply to ones boat license automatically.

Lots of other interesting things in all of that with respect positive flotation requirements and some of the commercial and fishing changes.

Cheers, Kerry.

MulletMan
29-08-2004, 05:53 AM
Yeh, well done Kerry!
We found the link to the summary of the new procedures to be pretty well spot on.
We have photocopied a few hundred and hand 'em out to the boaties on a weekend.
Another point to remember with the standard powder fire extinguishers is that they should be given a good shake each time you take the boat out. The contents pack down over a period of time and on a vessel with a diesel the effect is more pronounced due the constant "throbbing" that packs the powder down even faster and harder. If you don't do this easy maintenance all that will come out is the pressurized stuff and no chemical powder!! Also the word such as 5BE means that the extinguisher is only good for a five (5) knot wind. 30 BE = 30 knots etc. We carry 40 BE in all our boats. The loss in such a wind is guesstimated at about 25% so more is better!
If you have an inflatable jacket, the best place for service is RFD Australia at Springwood or Marine Safe in same area. Costs about $50.00 per jacket per annum. Also on regular occasions you should MANUALLY inflate the jacket as the inside of the buoyancy cells can become kind of "glued together" if subjected to constant compression under a seat or something and in hot conditions. A "maintenance kit" can also be purchased to give you a spare CO2 bottle and a few other bits and pieces.

Willo
29-08-2004, 02:09 PM
That's what is called arrogrant pricks #[smiley=veryangry.gif] and some would deliberately do that just because they think they can. Obviously there needs some clarification of this one.

Cheers, Kerry.

Sure does >:(
During mackeral season on the close at Tweed Heads The divers can be a real hassel.
The main dive boat drops the divers up current from were your anchored and they drift down alongside the your boat and past the area were your livies are,then they are picked up to repeat the process again and again >:(
Good way to stuff up a good bite [smiley=furious2.gif]and no amount of yellin or curseing seems to bother em. Which reminds me of an incident a couple of years ago were the Police were caalled out to sea to try and track down a diver who surfaced near a fishing boat and pointed and threathend a fishermen with a spear gun :o

klyons
29-08-2004, 03:42 PM
One thing about this that concerns me is that if I didn't visit this site I would probably still be ignorant of the changes.
The law states that ignorance of the law is not an excuse but surely there must be some onus on the govt to ensure at least all existing registered boaties are kept informed.Not really fair to release a press release that the press ignore, post the changes on the net and start fining people.

Kev

Kerry
29-08-2004, 05:07 PM
Kev, One would have to agree that this has been a (real) quite one for some strange reason ???

Cheers, Kerry.

gif
30-08-2004, 04:50 AM
I agree with Kev and am concerned with how poorly this has been communicated to the public.

Or maybe just a few of us missed it?

Has anyone seen it apart from here?

Its not the job of VMR to do a few hunded copies and hand them out to boaties. It is both fantastic and responsibe that they do this - but they should not be using their funds to do Governments job.

Kerry - how did you find it? (well done by the way)

Gary

gif
30-08-2004, 05:52 AM
repeated post in error

moderator please delete

Hagar
30-08-2004, 09:48 AM
To Sportfish , Kerry & Willo

Hey guys - Had a read of the factsheet on the website link and the operative word here is OPERATE a vessel within 30 metres of divers . I am reading this to mean you cannot be under way but if you are there first and not operating seems you cannot be told to pi.. .ff by a dive boat turning up as has been reported by some of our guys . You may not catch any more fish but my hooks are sharp and my sinkers big - whaddya think ?

Chris

Kerry
30-08-2004, 01:56 PM
....Hey guys - Had a read of the factsheet on the website link and the operative word here is OPERATE a vessel within 30 metres of divers . I am reading this to mean you cannot be under way but if you are there first and not operating seems you cannot be told to pi.. .ff by a dive boat turning up as has been reported by some of our guys....

Chris, So if your there first (and not operating persay) a diver can drop a flag right beside you and your snookered as you can't move as you'd then be operating within 30 metres of a flag and as in the past you could at least move slowly near a flag, now it's a total no go zone.

Legally they have NO RIGHTS to tell anybody to pi.. off but obviously some have an air of arogrance about them.

This certainly needs some clarification before some smart ar.. diver tries a stunt like this.

Gary, This has been in the pipeline for some time now as the department has been questioning many people to guage a common direction. Common direction is probably why it has taken as long as it has #:-X. #

Cheers, Kerry.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
01-09-2004, 09:56 AM
offal - lots & lots of offal - bonito frames - tuna oil etc

let natures' "bouncers" remove the arrogant infidel !

chris

ps they can lose their dive masters / instructors rating for putting persons unde their care at risk - i'm yet to hear of that happen - even when full boats are overturned in what were predictably horrendous conditions recently - the self regulated dive industry is becoming a bit of a dollar driven joke

chris

aido
09-12-2004, 04:23 PM
thanks for the heads up kerry,
needs to be read carefully, lol.