PDA

View Full Version : BBQ'd slimies?

Tony_N
31-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Saw a cooking program over the week-end (Ainslie someoneorother) and i swear he was cooking slimy mackerel on his barbie. Anyone ever cooked up any slimies?

Tony

megan
31-08-2004, 10:39 AM
Ah yes. Have to admit I tried some at a fishing weigh in once and was not bad. Have also smoked some bonito in my fish smoker and that was good as well - just couldn't get over the fact I was eating bait.

TOLGA
31-08-2004, 11:58 AM
Tony seen the same program yes they were slimmie's, I haven't tried them but I have tried yakka's I am not much of a fish eater but they didn't taste too bad. Alot of people in Sydney and so forth buy yakka's and slimmie's at the fish markets per kilo. I can't get over the fact that we use them for bait I think I will stick to fillet o fish meal from macca's.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
31-08-2004, 01:59 PM
THAT'S DISGUSTING

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

this is queensland - home of the summer whiting, the coral trout, snapper, red emperor .....

jaybee
31-08-2004, 02:58 PM
Yep smoked slimies and yakkas aren't too bad, they even come up well breaded and deep fried.
cheers
joe.

Dr_Dan
31-08-2004, 04:15 PM
With my mum being Italian, I'm used to being asked, "why use it for bait, just eat the bloody thing!". SOme of the relies in Vic even eat CARP!!!!!! :o :P

Up here (NQ), whiting and garfish are only ever used as bait. #Never really hear of people eating them!

Had a mate once who's mum swore by eating sardines (the ones i'm sure we all target for bait). #When we were about 14, headed out fishing to Fitzroy island, and came up with the brilliant (well we thought it was at the time!) idea to catch as many sardines as we could, and sell them to tackle shops. #Came home with about 15kg sardines. #She told us to squeeze the stomach contents out, then de scale them by running your hands against the scales, dust in flour and deep fry. #Eat them as chips!!!!!! #Dunno, never tried it. #Probably would be ok tho! #Have to give it a shot one day

Dan

raefpud
31-08-2004, 05:52 PM
I think Ainsley and his cooking show are english arent they?? Small mackeral are the norm up there in the northern hemisphere, not sure if they are the same species of fish but I know for sure that small oily fish like these are very common and popular as food fish and generally considered a delicacy there. Cant say i've had them BBQed but they taste great raw with a bit of soy sauce and wasabi :o

baldyhead
31-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Dan your story reminds me of the time i was told to do that with river sardines, well got a net full and washed,descaled,deheaded and coated in seasoned flour, then cooked in vhot oil...crisp and tasted pretty good. went down even better with a mug of rum.
cheers baldy

Leo_N.
01-09-2004, 04:31 AM
What you are talking about is the Atlantic Mackerel, Scomber scombrus: http://www.fishbase.com/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?genusname=Scomber&speciesname=scombrus

The Pacific grows a bit bigger, but they seem to be very similar in terms of life-history and ecological niche - probably very closely related but separated into Pacific and Atlantic oceans.
The slimy mackerel is Scomber australasicus:
http://www.fishbase.com/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?genusname=Scomber&speciesname=australasicus

snappa
01-09-2004, 06:01 AM
i agree with chris.........never hear of cooking bait in my family. >:(
"why" ???

Gorilla_in_Manila
01-09-2004, 07:13 AM
Finished work one saturday afternoon a few years back, came back to the contruction camp to find our Italain cook all excited about some fish he had bought down at the Coffs Co op.
BBQ'd WA pilchards for dinner that night (fresh caught).
"But that's bait," says I.
"No No, Dats Beaudifuuul!" says he.
Scaled and thrown straight on the plate.
Gut shrinks up into the head.
Hold head and tail and just suck the fillet of the side, flip over and do the same for the other, toss the frame and into another one.
Pretty nice actually.
Live and learn! :D
Cheers
Jeff

basserman
01-09-2004, 10:21 AM
i agree with chris.........never hear of cooking bait in my family. >:(
# # # # # # # "why" ???

so how do you eat your prawns if you don't cook them :P

every fish is potentail bait! ;D

C@RLO5
01-09-2004, 10:51 AM
exactly right basserman, u use prawns for bait dont ya?, most things from the ocean r good to eat, where we come from there is a way of preparing nearly everything that comes out of the ocean, im not one of these pricks that takes anything they catch, this is Australia, not a third world country, no one should be starving here, so there is no need to keep any undersize fish, but i love seafood, so anything legal i catch i eat it! if u catch squid try using some of the ink mixed with rice in a frypan, just a little though, its very strong, but i tastes lovely, its a traditional dish in Spain(im not from Spain, we're from South America) its called Arroz Negro or "Black Rice" the sicilians use it too, very nice ;D

CHRIS_aka_GWH
01-09-2004, 11:27 AM
i like bundy black -its a traditional dish from bundaberg - a town near the sea.

what does squid ink taste like? is it slimy?

chris

basserman
01-09-2004, 11:46 AM
i'c seen this squid ink pasta in a very $$$$ sydney spanish restrunt and holy @#%# was that pricy! ;D
i'm like you but carlo i will give anything at least one go ;D

moondancer
01-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Carlos, you got my mouth watering mate! I'll eat just about anything from the sea, and usually find a lot of the 'bait' style things taste the best. Squid, occies, pillies, gar, etc.!! Hell, I even saw the local fish shop selling yakkas and pike for $4 a kilo - they're not too bad either.

Whole stuffed squid - with the tentacles and ink in the mix - yummo!!

Lawry

snappa
01-09-2004, 02:11 PM
;D ;D ;D
your got to be kidding ,.. squid ink :P :-X

basserman
01-09-2004, 02:19 PM
just think snappa insted of useing all those little things as bait you should be selling them to the restrunts for the $$$$S ;)

Gorilla_in_Manila
01-09-2004, 10:10 PM
what does squid ink taste like?
chris

Tastes like ink (without the chemical thinners); same texture.
Wouldn't write home about it.
Sit around the table after with everyone looking like Dabros the King Darlec.
Might have to wander over the supermarket here in Manila and show you a few samples of whats on the shelves. :o
Cheers
Jeff
Cheers
Jeff

TOLGA
02-09-2004, 03:05 PM
Went squid fishin last night and we ended up with three large squid, the last one my mate caught squirted straight into his face when i walked over to him his face was completly black it was in his hair,eyes up his nose in his mouth as soon as i seen him i started to piss myself laughing rolling on the ground anyway he said it taisted like chalky S..t.

basserman
02-09-2004, 04:25 PM
he said it taisted like chalky S..t.

i find it a bit disturbing that he knows how that tastes :P