PDA

View Full Version : Swains boat - 'New Horizon' ?????

blue_rogue
17-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Just wanting to know if anyone has been out on 'New Horizon'. Boat departs from Yeppoon and heads to Swains for a week. Couple of things somebody might know:

What is the boat like?
What is the Skipper like?
Food?
Fishing time?
Does he move day to day, or stay in the one spot?

Just to get a feel of the setup. Have heard of many happy anglers come from swains, but have also met many that has a sh*t of a time.

Any input would be most appreciated

bugman
17-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Sorry Roguey,

Haven't been on that one but if you like fishing or snorkeling or diving or spear fishing or just plain drinking then the Swains is right up your alley.

Like I've said before - get in a dory on a rising tide on top of the coral islands (2-6 foot) and anchor in the sand sections. cast unweighted baits back towards the coral edges. Bloody unreal fun - but use heavey leader. 6kg sweeties in 2 foot go pretty hard.

Bugman

RobK
17-08-2004, 11:37 AM
Blue Rouge

I was on New Horizon around 12 years ago. The skipper was a bloke named John Hallet who was a very decent bloke who new how to find fish. He moved around reguarly as the fishing and weather deamnded. He is very meticulous about the way he keeps his boat and I am sure it would be in good nick. At the time all you had to do was eat and sleep. During meals the decky would clean the boat, fillet and bag fish, prepare baits and rigs. The boat itself was large and comfortablr. I am 6'8 and had no worries getting around. The food was plentiful and of a good variety. He does a terrific beer battered fish!

Hope this helps

Rob

blue_rogue
18-08-2004, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the insight boys.

Kerry
18-08-2004, 05:46 AM
The boat is probably one of the best presented boats on the coast. Hallet was not only the skipper but also the owner and th boat was spotless, don't quote me but I have an idea he has sold it ???

Cheers, Kerry.

blue_rogue
18-08-2004, 06:03 AM
No he still owns the rig

cheno
18-08-2004, 09:36 AM
Kerry is spot on. If John Hallet still owns it and runs it then you will not go wrong! Its a beautifully maintained Norman Wright with stabilisers - much more comfortable whilst steaming, and a/c in the cabins.

Although I haven't done a trip with him myself, lots of mates from CQ use him all the time for their extended trips and swear by him.

blue_rogue
18-08-2004, 09:40 AM
Thanks Cheno,

I am that much more confident of a good trip....

Thanks for the input

bazzaman
02-09-2004, 11:51 AM
My Grandfather used to work on one of his boats years ago!!! He tells me that hes a great skipper and knows how to find fish!!......I came back myself from the swains couple a months ago and was worth the money thats for sure.....I went on a boat called the booby bird but id stick with new horizon! Let me know how it goes!!!

Cheers Shane

trout3030
02-09-2004, 09:34 PM
Is there a website for the new horizon or a contact number?