PDA

View Full Version : NO fish farm for moreton bay

propdinger
01-09-2004, 09:29 AM
i have just seen a thing on tv about the poli's saying NO to a fish farm so lets hope it stays that way

im sure someone will have more info on what is going on

Kerry
01-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Election time one is probably going to hear a lot of things, so instead of em just talking lets see em sign on the dotted line BEFORE the election.

Cheers, Kerry.

propdinger
01-09-2004, 11:43 AM
hmmmm true kerry never thought of election promises

Lucky_Phill
01-09-2004, 01:12 PM
If the Sunaqua proposal ever goes ahead, in it's present form in Moreton Bay, I'll walk backwards to Bourke, NAKED.

Am I confident, you bet.

There has been many threads on this issue. Basically, the researchers got paid by Sunaqua, then tried to present themselves as ' independent' in Media releases. :P

Further, all other farms that data was gathered from are in very different situations. Moreton Bay is a Marine Park, for a start. Further, fish farms around the world are situated in ' cooler ' waters than MB. The water temps in the Bay would lead to ' unknown' masses of outbreaks of algae, etc etc.

I think it's time we put this dead issue to bed. ::)

Cheers Phill

PinHead
01-09-2004, 01:45 PM
I am going to lobby extensively against this farm farm in Moreton Bay..I don't care what or how much it takes to stop it happening...cos the last thing I ever want to see is Phill walking anywhere naked...ewwwwwwwwwwwww..that thought is scary.

Big_Kev
01-09-2004, 03:36 PM
If the Sunaqua proposal ever goes ahead, in it's present form in Moreton Bay, #I'll walk backwards to Bourke, NAKED.

Cheers #Phill

Thanks for that Vision Phil.
At least you could wear the lycras.
LOL Kev #:'(

jaybee
01-09-2004, 03:57 PM
yep saw it on the news, guess i eat humble pie phil, u can bake me lemon merangue, what wasnt mentioned though, is now the enviromentalists are lobbying state parliament to rezone the bay to protect the species there. MMMMM will we all end up like eskimos fishing in the one hole, Shades of gbrmpa eh.
cheers
Joe.

MY-TopEnder
01-09-2004, 03:59 PM
I heard that rumour on the Triple M Rumour File this morning... apparently most of the northern bay islands (Mud, Green...) will be green zone.

Leo_N.
02-09-2004, 08:12 AM
Further, all other farms that data was gathered from are in very different situations. #Moreton Bay is a Marine Park, for a start. #Further, fish farms around the world are situated in ' cooler ' waters than MB. # The water temps in the Bay would lead to ' unknown' masses of outbreaks of algae, etc etc.

Sorry to be pedantic, but there is a large cage farm near Bathurst Island, north of Darwin, as well as research farms in Hawaii. We even had a cage farm for barramundi at the mouth of the Ross River in Townsville before cyclonic flooding caused a large boat to take it out.....there's another one near Cardwell, not to mention all of the seacage farming in Indonesia and Hong Kong to name a few tropical countries (and these are huge industries).

I'm not trying to support the farm, just illustrating the need for an informed opinion.

PinHead
02-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Leo..Phill did not say there were not any farms in warm climes..he said the farms that data was gathered from are in very different situations. Key words are "that data was gathered from"

Leo_N.
02-09-2004, 12:57 PM
My comment related more to the second part of the quote, which implies that the influence of cage fish farming in tropical waters is unknown. I haven't yet heard of algae outbreaks in any of the tropical farming areas that I mentioned.

Is there any way for a layperson to obtain the data that Phill mentioned? I'm not trying to be abrasive, just interested in the facts.....if they are available.

Dylan_Rylatt
03-09-2004, 09:39 AM
fuk that mud and green island to be green zones..... will there be anywhere else to fish..???

Dylan

dazza
03-09-2004, 10:01 AM
hi dylan
unfortunatley if we don't get off of our collective arses and do something about it we won't be fishing anywhere.
the govt (gbrmpa) payed the greens when they let the gst through, by closing the barrier reef, what are they willing to pay for the votes to let the sale of telstra go through. i recon fraser and its surrounding waters will be the next target, maybe moreton bay
good to see the fish farm got knocked back.
i'm with you though jaybee, wouldn't trust the pollies ( especially around election time) as far as i could kick em
cheers
dazza

Gorilla_in_Manila
03-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Guys,
Here is an example of a lock out strategy that will be coming to a place near you.
Cape Byron Marine Park
http://www.mpa.nsw.gov.au/cbmp/cbmp-zoning-plan.htm
The first proposal was basically a complete lock out for fishos (entire area sanctuary), and the indiginous groups allowed to fish wherever they wanted.
The current revised proposal is a little better for land based fishos, the little yellow strips around the beaches and headlands should allow some line fishing, but boaties are pretty well shafted.
Note the surface fishing allowed over Wilsons reef in the center, so the long line boats can still come in and rape all the bait from the reefs. >:(
I believe the Bubble blowers sided with the greens coz they were still allowed to go out and continue their businesses, and were quite happy to see fishos get shafted.
The limited gains made back in the current proposal were only achieved by constant lobbying by some dedicated local fishos, both pro and rec.
Keep an eye on your area, coz when it starts, its the thin end of the wedge!
Cheers
Jeff