PDA

View Full Version : hat head

bk
02-09-2004, 04:24 PM
g'day i was woundering if any one could give me advice on hat head yes hat head its in nsw im going there for chrismas holidays and was woundering wat to catch and where to catch in down there chheers
bk ??? ??? ??? ??? 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)!

Gorilla_in_Manila
02-09-2004, 05:08 PM
BK,
Was down at Cresent head about a month ago. Drove back north along the beach via Hat Head and South West Rocks.
Not sure of the fishing around Hat Head itself but heard there is some good rock fishing. Miles of beautiful beach north to Smoky Cape and south to Cresent if you have a 4wd. Need a permit for the beach - $25 per financial year - available from the caravan park or info office.
Should be the usual summer beach suspects around plus chopper tailor.
Tonnes of Salmon all along the beach during the day when we drove back that way. Not sure they are still around at Christmas though.
Ramp launch of boat into the creek looks pretty difficult, lot of sand, but this might change between now and christmas. (see attached pic; ramp is just on the right out of shot)
If you can pull beach grubs, there are some great high tide stumpies about halfway along the beach back to Cresent Head.
Don't know too much more about it. Hope it helps.
Cheers
Jeff
PS Don't forget the aerogard - heard there can be sand flies around the river.

Gorilla_in_Manila
02-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Shot back to Cresent Head from about half way to Hat Head.

basserman
02-09-2004, 05:24 PM
well i can tell you now that the boat ramp is next to useless as the bar is sanded over at low tide and only has about 2 foot with high tide!
most fishos beach launch of the beach at the hat or drive the 10mins to south west rocks ;D
the hat is proble most famous for the rock fishing with deep water just at the base of the rocks however it is a steep clime down and up but there is some very nice fish that travle along the rocks
the macleay river ends at south west rocks and their is some good fishing for all estary fish in the river on lures and baits

just really depends on the type of fishing you want to do and do it from ;D
only problem is if you leave QLD to come down to Paridise you may never go home again ;) ;D

if you need more info just email me (port.clan@optusnet.com.au)

bk
03-09-2004, 05:29 PM
get out of here i live in noosa best town in the best state in the best country ha ha ha ha ha :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)