PDA

View Full Version : New Safety Rules..

Jackko
03-09-2004, 02:09 PM
>:(Had a look at the fire extinguisher in my boat, its about 6 months old has the Aust.standard numbers on it but cant find an expiry date on it. Checked a few others on mates boats- no expiry dates. Wasted $16 looking at boats I cant afford so checked a few of the places selling fire extinguishers.....you guessed it no expiry date on any. Spoke to a few of the sales guys , only one aware of the new rules and he was of the opinion that expiry/service labels are only affixed to commercial type extiguishers that you find in buildings ect. Then off to the guys that know Queensland Maritime Safety Stand, puts the above to the guys there and the response was "Well we are not enforcing it yet" When pressed about no expiry dates on new items could not get a straight answer. Also if any one else goes throw the anchored up an a dive boat approaches and wants you to move. Two different guys asked---two different answers.

How in the hell are we supposed to work it out if the people enforcing dont know... >:(

Kerry
03-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Well I reckon they better have some (bloody good) answers come Saturday (pm) #;D coming all the way and just won't be able to resist asking some simple questions #;)

And as for not enforcing it yet, well why not #:-X it's been offical since August 16 so they better have a better excuse than that. Perhaps ::) somebody in the upper resemblance of authority has just realized they haven't actually gone out and really told the people who really matter :-X

Cheers, Kerry.

MulletMan
03-09-2004, 06:35 PM
VMR Vicky Point bought six 40BE extinguishers (big mothers) from well known Brisbane marine supplier - all with no tags!! We had to pay an extra $5.00 for each tag! Wonder if someone out the back banged 'em with a date stamp?

agnes_jack
04-09-2004, 12:46 PM
In my shop we have a fire extinguisher, the law is that it has to be checked every six months. The tester dude comes around and turns the bottle upside down, gives it a little shake, then he holds it to his ear, sometimes he gets a worried look on his face and then he gets the hammer out of his belt and gives it a little tap with the rubber handle, one more hold up to his ear and then stamps the tag and hands us a bill for $8.80.
I suppose that to get a new one legal that you need to get it tested by one of these guys!

Regards, Tony :-/ :-/ :-/ ;D ;D