PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like a good idea to you?

Gorilla_in_Manila
02-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Talk of a tidal power generation plant between Inskip point and Fraser Island. :-/
Sound like a good idea to anyone? ???
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200409/s1189777.htm
Cheers
Jeff

==================

Last Update: Wednesday, September 1, 2004. 1:24pm (AEST)
Support for tidal energy plan
Australia's sustainable energy industry says a proposal for a tidal energy project off the south-east Queensland coast has good potential.

Cooloola Shire Council will ask the State Government to look into the possibility of generating electricity from the tidal flow between Fraser Island and Inskip Point.

Jenniy Gregory from the Australian Business Council for Sustainable Energy says projects overseas have proven the technology works.

She says it is a good location because it is close to where there is demand for electricity and the strait is not too deep.

"Once you get off the continental shelf wall and you get into deeper water, the costs associated with putting in the footings and the pylons to hold the structure become very expensive," she said.

"Demonstrations around the world such as in the US and in Europe have proved that the technology does work, but if the infrastructure costs are too high it makes the project itself prohibitive."

Ms Gregory says the viability of the multi-million dollar project would depend on the price the electricity could command.

"The economics of this project will be affected by the price of electricity that is paid to the project," she said.

"Given that Queensland is in need of more energy being generated, as we've seen from the announcements from Premier Beattie over the past couple of weeks, this project would certainly be a serious one to look at."

CHRIS_aka_GWH
02-09-2004, 02:16 PM
and if it doesn't work out I'm thinkin'

A-R-T-I-F-I-C-I-A-L R-E-E-F !!!

Dug
02-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Sounds great to me I have seen the wind generators in Ravenshoe Qld and Gippsland Vic 1 they are good for the environment 2 they look great unlike coal fired power bad for the environment and look UGLY.

The_Walrus
02-09-2004, 09:01 PM
It depends on what structures need to be built.

Some I've seen would effectively require the daming of the passage to install turbines.

Now that would be someting to see, daming the tidal flow between Fraser Island and Inskip Point with a structure that could withstand the wave action and still allow passage for boats.

Luc

NQCairns
03-09-2004, 04:11 AM
Quote: #"Once you get off the continental shelf wall and you get into deeper water, the costs associated with putting in the footings and the pylons to hold the structure become very expensive," she said.

What a stupid thing to say, wonder how many working TIDAL generation plants there are world wide off their respective continental shelfs. Just the collector would need to be huge.

Sounds like a fight will be on against the concrete monstrosity anywhere there is enough volume for depth tidal tidal flow in Australia (read shallow water).

Why not wave generators? they work well O/S, vic, tas, SA would probably work.

Australia's sustainable energy industry - Gotta watch all these not for PROFIT - PROFIT organisations.

ANYFISH
05-09-2004, 05:24 PM
so long as when the tide goes out it doesn't make all our motours run backwards [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif]
or even worse turn our toast back into bread ;D ;D ;D

bloddy hell what a sick sense of humor that i have got