PDA

View Full Version : Reef fish spawning closures to protect fish stocks

jaybee
08-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Qld Govt Media Release

6 September, 2004
The annual spawning season closures for coral reef fin fish start in October this year helping to protect fish stocks during these vulnerable periods.

Three, nine-day spawning season closures are in place each year in October, November and December, timed to coincide with the new moon.

For 2004, the closures are from 8 October to 16 October, 6 November to 14 November and 6 December to 14 December. Coral reef fin fish species cannot be taken during these periods.

The closures apply to all waters on Queensland’s east coast north of a line of Latitude 24 degrees 50 minutes South (near the mouth of the Burnett River and near Waddy Point on Fraser Island).

Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries (DPI&F) reef line manager Mark Elmer said the closures had been implemented as part of the Fisheries (Coral Reef Fin Fish) Management Plan 2003.

Mr Elmer said coral trout and many other reef fish species aggregated while spawning making them particularly susceptible to fishing.

“During these periods numbers of mature fish aggregate in certain locations on the reefs to spawn, generally corresponding with the new moon phase,” he said.

“This makes them more vulnerable to fishing pressures and the closed seasons are needed to protect stocks during these periods.”

Mr Elmer said the one-year delay in introducing these closures had been to limit their impact on the charter boat industry and recreational fishers who had bookings or arrangements in place to fish during the closure periods in 2003.

“Permitted charter boat operations on long-term trips can also hold coral reef fin fish taken before the start of a closure period on board, enabling the trip to be completed without having to return to port to offload the fish,” he said.

bugman
09-09-2004, 04:14 AM
You know I never considered this when I booked my holidays this year. I was heading to Fraser for the first two weeks of December obviously taking the boat.

I'm guessing I'll still be allowed to fish south of Waddy but can I take the catch back to Waddy point. hhhmmm

I think I'll need to make some phonecalls.

Brett

jaybee
09-09-2004, 04:49 AM
I think when it was first discussed, it was north of fraser, then i heard it was going to be eventually, extended down to mooloolaba, let me know how you get on.
cheers
Joe