PDA

View Full Version : Weipa

Moffy
08-09-2004, 10:18 AM
anyone fished up Weipa way in the last couple of weeks?

Before i went up last time in July, i heard that the bait schools (and tuna/Macks etc) were down around Red Cliffs - saved heaps of time looking for them - found them first go and had a ball throwing soft plastics into the mix.

Am heading up again next week, but can't find any info on whether the bait schools are still around and if so where. Will save plenty of time and fuel if i can find out where they are at before i go (especially when i've only got 4 days) and will probably only spend one day doing that type of fishing this trip

Anyone have any info?

Big_Kev
08-09-2004, 04:55 PM
I was talking with a guy today from Wiepa and he said that this is the time of year to be there.
His tip was when it starts to get hot after the winter it is on.

Moffy
09-09-2004, 05:09 AM
Thanks for that Reel Hard - I generally try to get up there every year this time of year (or later) - and it is the goods that's for sure - although last year we hit the Nassau river instead. (might do both this year :D)

given it was a 45 min run down the coast to the bait schools in July, am hoping to narrow it down a bit (it's a long run if they're not there)

my brother is up there (free use of truck and boat ;D) and so i'll see if he knows anything - but he generally doesn't target the bait schools and so is not always on the pulse of where they're at - i've asked him to ask around too though.

kc
09-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Just back at 1am this morning & going up again for the week 15th to 22nd. Bit of a bouncy westerly swell made the coast down to pera too uncomfortable. Fished Pine & Nominade for really good jacks, a few barra and plenty of grunter and fingermark. Bridge OK for king salmon with a few barra at night and heaps of queenies, catfish & sharks. 1 jew for the week well up the Nominade. What dates are you going up. New moon tides around the 15th look really good.

Regards

KC

Moffy
10-09-2004, 04:57 AM
Thanks for that KC.

Am flying up on the 15th - 19th - liked the look of those tides on the run down from the new moon too!!

was hoping to get out the front once or twice, but if that westerly swell is still there we will stay in the rivers. Probably go up Mapoon way and see what we can see (Wenlock/Ducie etc). (am yet to fish the Pine, but may give it a look.)

kc
10-09-2004, 10:58 AM
If you spot the houseboat drop in and say hi...might even find you a cold beer. I am likely to be pine/nominade first few days, then back to the bridge and then hopefully down the coast to pera/boyds the last few.

Regards

KC

Moffy
11-09-2004, 09:55 AM
will keep an eye out KC.

How does the Houseboat ride? - when we were there in July it seemed to have a bit of a hobbyhorse/ porpoise going on an almost flat sea.. (can see a trip on it would be awesome though - plenty of fish in the area it is surveyed for.)

did you get any jewies under the bridge last week? - tides look ok (bit early though) for some action at the top of the tide just before dusk.

kc
11-09-2004, 07:02 PM
I can not speak highly enough about both the houseboat and the guy who runs it. It is a mobile 5 star fishing shack, not a converted honeymoon boat. Rod racks and launchers for about 40 outfits, plenty of fringe space, cooking area, good quarters and a full size shower & dunny. The tenders are decent 16ft indestrucatble tinnies with 60hp 4 strokes...all in all 10/10. She is not very pretty to look at but the best of many houseboats I have used. A little rolly but we usually anchor up river most nights unless it is flat arse calm.

We lost a couple of big fish that may have been jew at the bridge & pulled some good Kings and a couple of barra. Best fishing last week was nominade. Hopefully the SE will be nice and steady next week and flatern out the westerly swell. I'm really keen to get down the coast too.

Might see you there

KC

Moffy
13-09-2004, 06:04 AM
Yeah my brother knows Rennie - he used to work with him at Goodline in Weipa. Weipa was definitely crying out for the houseboat type option. We checked it out at CCC when it was being built.

Now that my brother is back up there working again, its an easier option for me to just borrow his nissan and boat etc, otherwise would probably go for a run on the houseboat.

plenty of SEly looking at the longe range forecasts - was hoping it would be calm enough to get out to Kerr Reef or some other marks, but the creeks will have to do.

will have a crack at the Jewies - last time we targetted them we got 2 big ones up from about 30 bust offs and also landed a couple of little ones 5-8 kilos as well. Big ones ended up being too big (oversize) and were released - but good fun extracting them from between the pylons. Will see if they are around again - am taking my Dad up - so hopefully I can put him onto some good fishing.

will keep an eye out for the houseboat.

kc
13-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Hi mate,

My reading of the long range forcast looks shit hot. 15 knot S/e is perfect for down the coast.If you don't get Dave Donalds weekly report drop me a PM with your email adress & I will oping it off to you. Makes a great read and really informative about the bite! I got mine last night & am already drooling at the thought of a good longtail bite on the fly rod!!!If your in Weipa Tuesday night we are holding a Fishing Party meeting at the Golf Club at about 6.30. Drop in for a coldie and say hi!

Moffy
14-09-2004, 09:47 AM
KC,

Don't get there until Wednesday night unfortunately.

Can you sign up for DD's report? - Good source of info i haven't been able to track down lately. Will PM you my email address tonight - just set it up at home and haven't committed it to memory as yet.

Thanks,

Moffy.

Moffy
14-09-2004, 05:24 PM
KC,

Have pm'd my email address to you

Craig