PDA

View Full Version : Researching boats

Mel
13-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Hi,
I am a teacher currently planning my next unit which is all about boats! Even though my ex was a fishing fanatic and bought several boats. I am none the wiser. The kids need to investigate various boat designs and then build a boat that carries cargo approx (300g-400g in weight) across a water trough without sinking. I was wondering any of you know some websites that would be suitable or know of any boating companies I could contact to get brochures, so the kids could get some ideas on different designs.

Thanks

mackmauler
13-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Mel, you could probably go to one company that makes several different designs such as Quintrex, fast and easy :D try googling them.

Zeeke
13-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Easiest boat to build.. Ice Cream Buckett with some wax cardboard stuck to each end to make it look like a boat

MY-TopEnder
13-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Well the Polycraft is affectionately known as the tuperware tiny or the wheelie-bin boat... they're a little different to your average boats.

www.polycraft.com.au

Then you get into twin hull or single hull so someone like noosa cats or kevlacats. Not sure of an address for this.

Then there is Stabicraft which uses the sealed chambers and is all plate alloy... www.stabicraft.com

Dug
13-09-2004, 07:13 PM
How old are the kids?

Why not just give the kids a pile of stuff from a recycle shop and let them go for it. They have a great imagination give them an object to be carried like a fishing sinker and a distance for it to be carried.

The engineering school at the uni I worked at used to set competitions like this & every year every year the same lab assistants won the prize over the students and lecturers he had a remarkable practical problem solving streak.

They finally convinced him to study engineering formally rather than just helping others to get their degrees.

Mel
14-09-2004, 05:55 PM
The kids are 6 and 7 years old, and yes they do have very wild and creative imaginations (show and tell is always a laugh), but we have outcomes that need to be met in order to assess their work. The kids need to research information on boat designs, investigate and test various materials, draw a model of the boat then create it using the best possible materials. It sounds a lot but they created lunch boxes at the beginning of the year and made animal traps this term and they have a great time doing it. These kids are country kids too (100km from coast) and don't often go out in boats so I need to give them a start. Thought some boat sites would be easy for them to look at and I don't know many boat brands!!

The_Walrus
14-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Hi Mel,

This site may be of help as far as different styles of boats.

http://www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/index.php

A search on the net should give you plenty of usefull sites

Luc

Maxg
14-09-2004, 11:43 PM
Have a look at boating mags in the news agent. Sometimes they have boat construction mags, with all sorts of odd shapes. Try building it is balse, light easy to work, and glue, aquadere works and it doesn't sink. Max

Heath
15-09-2004, 04:01 AM
Give Cruise Craft a call. You'll find their number on their website.

www.cruisecraft.com.au, I'm sure they would be only too glad to help with something like this. They are a family bussiness & create their own designs.

Gorilla_in_Manila
15-09-2004, 07:03 AM
Mel,
This might help.
http://www.boatplans.dk/boatplans/index.asp
Cheers
Jeff

Mel
15-09-2004, 05:57 PM
Thanks guys,

I have checked out all the websites you have suggested and they are great. Lots of pictures which will help them out a lot especially the years ones. Heath, I have contacted Cruise Craft via email hopefully they will get back to me. Talked to the kids about it today and now they want to make motors - this may turn into a big project. Jeff, we looked at the boat plans website and the kids were really excited, they are already jotting down ideas. Hopefully the enthusiasm will continue after the holidays when it really counts.
Mel