PDA

View Full Version : Potential Grass Carp (White Amur) World Record

fishinherts
14-09-2004, 01:01 PM
http://www.landbigfish.com/images/articles/ark-782004.jpg
A Farmington angler thought he hooked a big catfish while fishing for bass on Lake Wedington west of Fayetteville, Arkansas.

He got more than he bargained for. What he caught broke a state record and may set a world record.

Nathan Taylor struggled for 45 minutes to land an 80-pound grass carp he snagged while fishing on the west side of the lake with a watermelon Zoom Trick Worm.

"It was a big surprise, the fish fought a lot," he said. "Before my buddy could net it, it would pull back."

Taylor said he was amazed that his catch could be a world record. He was especially thankful for the quality equipment he used to bring in the carp. "On 14-pound line, that's what gets me," he said. "I can't believe I got it in on that. It's unreal."

Ron Moore, Arkansas Game and Fish Commission fisheries biologist, certified the 52-inch carp on June 25. The carp had a 28-inch girth. Clinton Ricker, a seasonal aide with the AGFC, was present when the carp was certified. "It was just huge," he said. "It looked abnormal, it was interesting to see."

The previous state record was a 65-pound, 14-ounce grass carp caught by Gary Todd at Horseshoe Lake in 1995.

The world record is a 78-pound, 12-ounce carp caught in the Flint River in Georgia according to the International Game and Fish Association. Taylor will now have to apply for the world record, but Doug Blodgett, IGFA world record administrator, said as long as the carp was snagged unintentionally it should qualify for both the line-class record and the all-tackle record.

The grass carp is a member of the minnow family and native to Asia. It was introduced to the U.S. in 1963 when 70 carp were brought to the Fish Farming Experiment Station in Stuttgart by the U.S. Bureau of Sport Fisheries. The species is commonly stocked in the state.

Taylor wants to have the carp mounted. "It's not the prettiest fish," he said. "But if it is a record, it would be neat to have it mounted."

el_carpo
14-09-2004, 09:56 PM
That's a neat picture to see fishinherts. Thanks for posting it.

A giant grass carp is the main character in one of my more "less than proud" fishing moments.

There we were, fishing a nice, quiet pond one day. Minding our own business. Casting small floating bass lures, when all of a sudden, my brother gets snagged in a clump of mucky seaweed about thirty feet off shore. "Aw heck!," he says and starts to pull and try to get it free. No such luck. The lure seemed to be stuck good.

"I don't think it's coming free. Should I just break it off?" he says.

"No. No, don't break it off! It's only thirty feet away. You can get it. I don't think it's that deep."

"I'm wearing long pants and you're in shorts. Can you get it for me Tom (Tom is my non El-Carpo name)?"

"Aw, for crying out loud! Fine make me suffer!," and off I go.

I get off the socks and shoes and slowly start the fateful journey out towards my mucky destiny. The bottom is muddy and my feet started to sink in about six inches or so making it tough to move fast (very bad thing as you will soon see).

I get close to the muck. My body is submerged up past my belly-button, an innie by the way (like most fat guys), and my feet were about eight inches stuck in the sucking mud of the pond bottom. I figure this is far enough. I'll just grab the muck pile and drag it to me. I reach out and grab a hold of the edge and begin to pull. Just as it begins to move, it happens. A huge "Ka-boooooooooooom, splash, gurgle, thrash", watery explosion of epic proportions takes place right smack dab in front of me and I naturally figure that this is the end. I didn't know what the heck was happening. Do great white sharks live in small inland ponds? Did someone release a fully grown alligator with a hankering for fat guys? Is the "Creature From the Black Lagoon" alive and well? All these thoughts raced through my frenzied head as I let out a girlish, "EEEEEEEEEEEEEP! HOOOOOH! HAAAAAH! HAAAAAALP MEEEE! WAWAWAWA! SOMETHING'S GOT ME! OH ALAS!" My feet were churning as fast as my fat little legs would allow in the mud. I figure this is too slow, I'll swim. Nothing doing. All that did was dreanch me. My feet were still stuck. As I lay in the water face down. I hear a strange noise. It sounds almost like....like laughter! Uncontrollable laughter! The laughter of angels perhaps? Did I die? What is happening? I slowly realize I'm still alive and wreaking of pond scum. I manage to get to my feet about ten feet off shore and what do my eyes behold? My brother rolling on the ground laughing his you-know-what-off! Yes, the same brother I went in to save a lure for--LAUGHING!

"WELL?! You saw the whole thing! What the heck happened?!" I say.

Between gasps and fits of laughter, he gets out, "You were attacked by a giant grass carp! I saw the tail."

"A grass carp? Are you sure? It wasn't the "Mud Man"?"

"No. Just a grass carp."

"Mike (that's his name). I'd start running if I were you. Because if I catch you in the next five minutes.....you're going to be going for a rather unpleasant swim."

He took my advice and got away. Final score grass carp 1--El Carpo negative 12! Homer Simpson has nothing on me.

This stuff only happens to fishermen. Ah, but it's worth it.

E.C.

Dr_Dan
15-09-2004, 06:34 AM
Great read el carpo. Always good for a laugh!
;D ;D ;D

AussieMozzie
15-09-2004, 07:53 AM
ROFLMAO el carpo thats classic. ;D

lordy
15-09-2004, 08:12 AM
;D ;D have grass carp nightmares? ;D ;D

el_carpo
15-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Glad you enjoyed it! How dare you laugh at my pain?! >:(..... ;)..... ;D ;D ;D

Awwwww shucks, I'm just kidding folks ;D. I'm not mad (not at you guys, Mike on the other hand..... ;D ;D ;D). Yes, that was definately not one of my finer moments in life. ;D

I never really had nightmares lordy, but there were instances of flashbacks. Every time I'd try to eat a doughnut or bagel or onion ring, I'd see....I'd see.....HIM! and the huge, toothless, gaping sucker mouth coming right for my throat! Of course, without any teeth, he really couldn't do much damage (maybe give me a huge hickie or something) but it was still scarey. Yes, there I'd be sitting down in a "Dunkin' Doughnuts" shop. I'd tell myself, "It's alright. It's just a doughnut. The carp is gone. You're safe Tom." My hands would tremble as they moved to open the paper box doughnut container. Tears welling in my eyes, changed to terror as I caught a glimpse of the giant carp mouth looking doughnut. "It's him!!!! The carp!!! Get away!!! Get away!!!" I'd scream as I flailed my arms and legs wildly at the imagined, finned beheamoth. No one seemed to notice as this sort of thing happens on a daily basis in doughnut shops across America. Eventually, I came back to reality and found myself being rudely ushered to the door and shoved out. "And take your invisible fish with ya!" the pimply faced doughnut vending teen would say. Then I'd usually just go for some pizza or something and call it a day. In time, I got over my fear of grass carp, and no longer have the crippling flashbacks. I even feed them on occasion in hopes that one day, they will agree to serve as my evil minions. Doing my bidding and bringing the "El-Carpoian" empire to it's full glory! Well, that may be going too far there. Maybe I can train them to con other fish into biting my hooks though. I don't know, we'll see.

Anyway, I'm glad I was able to give you guys a laugh or two. I'll leave you with this thought... remember, as the old saying goes, "If you can't laugh at yourself....just keep watching El-Carpo, eventually he'll do something goofy." :o..... ;D