PDA

View Full Version : Please DON'T fish for Eastern Cod in winter/spring

Maccullochella
16-09-2004, 09:43 AM
I am distressed to hear of people fishing for wild Eastern Cod over the last couple of months.

Can I say, please DON'T fish for Eastern Cod in winter or early spring.

(If you do, please take note and pass this onto any others who do.

And yes, I know technically it's illegal to fish for Eastern Cod at all, but we all know people do, and frankly, in the appropriate season of summer and autumn, with barbless hooks, stout tackle and careful, swift C&R, it's not much of an issue....)

There is no doubt that, just like with Murray Cod, Eastern Cod resorb their roe and don't spawn if caught anytime in winter (when they develop their roe) or early spring before spawning.

(For the armchair experts who like to dispute this fact, this was PROVEN at the Grafton Eastern Freshwater Fish Research Station when they studied/bred Eastern Cod).

While I think this is bad enough with wild river Murray Cod, this incredibly serious with the endangered Eastern Cod. Any Eastern Cod caught and released in the last 3 months will NOT be spawning right now as is should be.

Please don't do it.

Regards

Simon

PS A lot of people aren't aware of the biology issues with Eastern Cod and Murray Cod.

The closed season for Murray Cod (and followed by many targetting Eastern Cod) is NOT sufficient.

Cod start developing their roe in winter, long before the closed season kicks in, and capture will sabotage this process.

As NSW Fisheries is not taking a lead with this issue, it is up to fishermen.

We must not fish for Eastern Cod in winter or early spring!