PDA

View Full Version : I know where all the straddie beach fish are

Fishinmishin
14-09-2004, 01:49 PM
They are in this net :o. Can you believe they do this every day some months. :-/ After driving past this, I thought my best chance of a greenback is grabbing one out of the net. :-*

Fishinmishin
14-09-2004, 01:51 PM
That net pic only showed about a fifth of the length of the net. I would love to say I caught this Tailor, but I'd be lying.

Fishinmishin
14-09-2004, 01:53 PM
Tailor pic

skippa
14-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Please don't tell me this was on Flinders beach, going there next week and I would like to think I'd still be able to get a Tailor or two. :-/

Cheers,
Tony 8)

Dug
14-09-2004, 04:26 PM
no problem gettin' tailor you can pick one up for $5 a kilo at the local fish market >:( >:( >:(

its enough to make you sick isn't it :P

Burley_Boy
14-09-2004, 04:36 PM
:'(

Ben_Gray
14-09-2004, 05:20 PM
I know those guys are just making a living, but that doesnt seem right
to me :( ???. Surely fish stocks can only take so much of that before
they are almost wiped out, there must be thousands of fish in that net
if that is only a fifth of what we can see. What chance do us blokes
with a single line out have against that :-/. I dunno too many non fishos
eating fish sad but true!!

clutter
14-09-2004, 05:25 PM
No shortage of dart in the net either by the looks. What happens to them?

clutter

clutter
14-09-2004, 05:25 PM
No shortage of dart in the net either by the looks. What happens to them?

clutter

The_Walrus
14-09-2004, 06:17 PM
I've seen Dart for sale in shop :P not looking particularly appetising.

As far as the tailor, there's only one solution

REC ONLY SPECIES

Luc

Fishinmishin
14-09-2004, 07:36 PM
About 2km south of point lookout on the eastern beach.

Girella
15-09-2004, 03:55 AM
Should'nt those who harvest a living resource that belongs to all of us
be responsible for it's replenishment ?

CHRIS_aka_GWH
15-09-2004, 06:14 AM
Should'nt those who harvest a living resource that belongs to all of us
be responsible for it's replenishment ?

but they do ... i see them releasing lots & lots of little fish into the sea. They must look after those little fish so well, cause they don't want to swim away.

el_carpo
15-09-2004, 06:30 AM
That's an outstanding point you made Girella. If they take, maybe they should have to contribute to a stocking fund (a giant fish hatchery or something). It would be in their own interest to do so as well. If they all pitched in, they could probably raise a load of fry to release back into the ocean. Something should be done. If that is only one fifth of the entire net and catches like that happen all the time, it seems like the outcome is pretty obvious. They are shooting themselves in the foot by over-harvesting like that. I think you are on to something there Girella.

SeaHunt
15-09-2004, 07:54 AM
>:( # This stuff shits me off no end.
$5 a kilo at the shops, #???
So the fisherman is probably getting at most $2 a kilo.
Maybe they can get a ton or two to the shops on a good day. But there are also days when they would get none, and they can really only do it a few months of the year. Then there is usually three or four of them beach netting so the profits have to be shared around. Plus you have to take out he costs of fuel , equipment etc.
So surely it is a part time, low paying job at best.
Does anyone really make a decent living at this or are they just another version of hobby farmers, rootin around cause the like doing it and can't be bothered getting a real job.? #Lets face it if you can't earn a thousand bucks a week, every week you should be looking for another job.
How much suffering is banning all beach netting really going to cause?
I think the outcry would be less than a wimper compared to that caused by the GBRMPA recently. #

nulla
15-09-2004, 08:05 AM
Vote THE FISHING PARTY and see what happens. Who knows - they might just make a difference

Fishinmishin
15-09-2004, 09:28 AM
What we take shouldn't always be revolved around human greed. More sustainable methods could be used and the market and people who choose to eat fish can wear the brunt. Only when the last tree has fallen and the last fish has been caught we will come to realise we can't eat our money. :)

basserman
15-09-2004, 12:33 PM
#Lets face it if you can't earn a thousand bucks a week, every week you should be looking for another job.
#
crist i'm lucky to earn $400 a week and even then i need to take my fule and running cost out of that!
but i would still prefure to be working for myself than working like a slave for someone else
i'v made that money before benn there done that! wasn't worth working the 60+ hours a week and liveing no life!
don't know too many people that even look like earning $1000 per week! :o

Dug
15-09-2004, 06:10 PM
Yes Bassman, but these guys can claim fuel and running costs on tax so they probably run at a loss then claim benefits because they make so little money. but they are not unemployed so they don't show up on the unemployment figures.

Most of these guys are leaches on society I used to love them up in Rockhampton they would net the Fitzroy so no living thing could get up river then harass amateurs for ..... wait for it .... WRECKING THE FISHING STOCKS!!!!

If you wanted an intelligent discussion on sustainability of fishing stocks just go into the Swampies Pub after about 10am. Don't expect to come out standing up or not bleeding.

straddie
16-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Just hit a raw nerve ::) raise shields and arm photon torpedoes. :o

Beach netting is one of the most targeted operations you will see, unlike some of the other commercial fishing activities with heavy bycatch. That school will have been sited and within a few cases they could tell you how much they were about to catch of what species. Don't mix it up with trawling and other semi speculative forms of commercial fishing.

Outside of SIP's I don't know of too many Queensland rec fishermen / harvesters that contribute in any way to restocking, am I missing something?

One thing I notice is that when the commercial fishos leave an area the only thing that remains of them being there is tractor tracks and some scattered weed, the used plastic bait bags, empty cans and stubbies, tangles of lines and used toilet paper are left by...

I wouldn't think all of the lost lead, broken off nylon and GSP line, oil and petrol exhausted from boats into the water, various discarded plastic flotsam and jetsam times 800 000 Queensland rec fishermen would have any impact on our fishery, would it.

When you see the dinner for several thousand people all in one place it is going to look like a lot, same as if you saw your annual catch in the one place then multiplied it by 800 000 rec anglers.

The poor rec that only fishes the bay and outside a couple of times a week and only catches a measly 2 X 5kg snapper per trip only gets about 20kg of fish a week. How can a guy live on only a tonne of fish a year?

5 mates go each week for their anual pilgramage to Fraser and can't even catch their limits, averaging only 10 x 1kg fish a day for the week they are there. 350kg for the week, only 5 guys on the beach at fraser every week = 18 tonnes per year.

Avg 200 people on the pumping jetty every day catch 2kg of fish each 146 tonne per year.

Someone has to fish for the other 2.4 million Queenslanders that don't fish and it takes a lot of fish to feed that many people.

SeaHunt
16-09-2004, 10:10 AM
When you see the dinner for several thousand people all in one place it is going to look like a lot, same as if you saw your annual catch in the one place then multiplied it by 800 000 rec anglers.

Someone has to fish for the other 2.4 million Queenslanders that don't fish and it takes a lot of fish to feed that many people.

Dinner for several thousand cats maybe. ??? ???
I think you are missing the point a bit mate.
Tailor and dart could hardly be considered commercial species (for human consumption anyway). :-X
From what I have seen, they do not immediately bleed them, and there is that many in that net they couldn't bleed em all before they died anyway. Unbled two or three day old tailor
is almost inedible, so it probably ends up catfood or fishmeal.
I see beach netting for tailor (and dart) as a mindless waste of a good recreational resource for very small return. :P

basserman
16-09-2004, 10:13 AM
you can't claime all your runing cost on tax
i know i run a truck for aliving and i only pull a measlie $400 per week
going by what seahunt said i should be looking at other employment!
i think sea hunt would be in for a shoke if he relised how many australian don't even come close to makeing $1000 per week grosse let alone neting that!

i'm in no way a huge fan of comercial fishing but as straddie pointed out it is a very important part of australia
ever wondered what it would be like a crissy time with our the prawns and seafood
or how about going to a restrunt and not able to order any type of seafood!
these are the places that alot of those fish are bound for and not only australia but to the markets oversea where that $5/kilo of tailor would be more like $25/kilo

i agree that we need to moniter the pros but we also need to moniter the recs just as hard
sure alot of the blokes on here do the right thing but their are just as many that don't
i know i'v seen people with more than a bag limit of fish and seen heaps with undersized fish

CHRIS_aka_GWH
16-09-2004, 11:02 AM
"pull 'em aside, they'll be crab bait"
Main Beach Straddie 2kms north of fishermans rd approx 10.30am Sunday Aug 15.

the exact words of the guy driving the trailer describing to his boys what to do with a tonne of 1kg+ tailor they allowed to waste while waiting on a second school.

Thats what shits me Straddie - the disrespect for a quarry I worship. The fact that they know that catch will be useless but still worth a dollar value & they can cover the waste by totalling a second school.

They don't ice their catch, they handle it with plain steel painted shifting shovels that are not cleaned - they are not chasing a human consumption market or seeking to make a niche in it.

Pro fishing has its place - this archaic scenario that is played out every decent weather day ain't it.

chris

SeaHunt
16-09-2004, 11:27 AM
i know i run a truck for aliving and i only pull a measlie $400 per week
going by what seahunt said i should be looking at other employment!
i think sea hunt would be in for a shoke if he relised how many australian don't even come close to making $1000 per week grosse let alone neting that!

Hi Basser,
No offence intended to you or anyone else mate.
I know a lot of people don't earn near $1000 a week , I also think you would get a shock to learn how many earn that and a whole lot more every week. I know a lot who earn 2,3 or even 4 times that a week, some are trademen, some have no qualifications at all and just seem to have fallen into the right business (a friend who is an air conditioning fitter comes to mind, $2000 a week is a bad week for him). I just think that there are better ways to earn an income than beach netting. :P
And yes I think anyone earning only $400 a week should be looking to do better.
Australia is rapidly turning into a country polarised into haves and have nots. Twenty or thirty years ago most people just got by , sure there were a few rich people , but not that many and a few unemployed poor, very few earnt massive salaries.
Nowadays execs can earn 4 or 5 million A YEAR, and people think thats OK. I know a realestate agent who has earned 1.8 million in the last 2 years. A lot of people have a lot of money and also a lot have very little , there are just not many in the middle anymore.

adrian
16-09-2004, 03:41 PM
hi guys
these guys are the biggest mongruls i've meet . ok they have to earn a crust. but if you are fishing and on a school look out as they race to get the boat and nets out around you . then abuse you for fishing there ( this has happened to me on more than once ) if you don't more they get volient . the local police won't touch them they are a law to themselves . they follow no size limits if it is in the net it stays . as most have said the catch is headed for pet food

i've had my two cent
anzac

straddie
16-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Chris I know what your saying and feel the same way with the dart knowing they are headed for cat food, but it's all relative and everything has a different value to different people. I'm guessing there are a lot of people that would be happy to catch and keep the varying annoying bait stealers that outside fishos get disgusted with and use for bait.

The handling has always been an issue, I am guessing there must be little or no change in return for them if they handle the fish well. If there was I would think they would be looking after the catch much better than they do now.

I think if the alternative to pros was the great unwashed hordes (non fishermen) having to catch their own, 4 times the number of recs there are now I personally would prefer to keep the pros.

Anzac, it might pay to read the regs with regard to impeding a commercial fishing operation, and if you see a commercial fisherman or anyone else for that matter keeping undersize fish report them to fisheries.

megafish71
16-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Well guys if you don't like to see whats going on, be sure that you vote for the fishing party in this coming election. You can guarantee that if we don't get a say at a Government level, then the pro and rec fishers will be sharing an ever decreasing body of water to fish from. I suggest that you guys in south Queensland get together and spread the word about the fishing party because believe me, you guys down there will be next to loose some of your fishing grounds.
Ron

Fishinmishin
16-09-2004, 09:02 PM
Look, everyone remember that this whole issue is revolved around human greed and thats the simplest way to put it. The undersized fish WERE eventually released to FLOAT back onto the beach or FLOAT back out into the surf. Please notice on the 1st picture that my mates ankle isn't even under water and that section of the net is at its deepest. Yes they are just trying to make a living but market prices are most heavily influenced by supply vs demand. The market and pros could still be viable with a little more concern for ensuring the sustainability of our methods. The average tailor caught between 30-36cm is one year old at max. Don't you all beleive a closure on targeting tailor during their spawning run for even a month would result in a more viable outcome for recs and pros alike now and especially in the future. Once again- Only when the last fish has been caught will we relise we can't eat our money.