PDA

View Full Version : hi all just would like to

Mogwai
18-09-2004, 05:39 AM
know where is the protction zones are around Peel Island (is there a map on the net i can look at )

Thanks
Jon (Mogwai)

P.s is it far from main land as i have a 12 foot tinny would this be safe out there ?????

SeaHunt
18-09-2004, 06:17 AM
The protected Zones are on the NorthWest corner, there is a sign there, it is also shown in the Beacon to Beacon.
I have seen plenty of other 12 foot tinnies out there. Make sure you have appropriate safety gear and tell someone where you are going and when you will be back.
Just watch the weather forecast, you dont want to be coming back from there if the wind gets up too much, say 15 + knots.

Mogwai
18-09-2004, 02:37 PM
Thanks SeaHunt
think i will go out and get a Beacon to Beacon i have all the safety gear only think i dont have is a EPIRB but i dont think i need that out there

Thanks again SeaHunt

joeT
18-09-2004, 03:30 PM
You won't need an EPIRB but need to make sure the weather is really calm. Perhaps try going early in the morning and coming back early (before 9-10am) a few times to get an idea of distance.

I used to go out to Peel in a 12 footer with a 15hp, it was ok but could get a bit scary if the winds pick up.

webby
18-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Mate the zones is a imaginery dotted line, to fish the area, you must stay outside the 2m low water mark that surrounds the zone.
This even mean the sunken reef, just stay out of the 2m area. so vertiually from the spit beacon to hanlons to the red on the eastern side of lazaret gutter, you have to stay outside that 2m zone to fish legally.
the same applies to the turtle/dugong zones, you can stay on the plane out side that 2m zone.
Regards to epirbs if you draw a strait line from cleveland pt to amity, south of the line your safe, north of that line you are in partially smooth waters and required all safety equip.
regards

Big_Kev
18-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Those 12ft tinny"s sure are small when a 16ft tiger swims past.

MY-TopEnder
18-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Webby, is an Epirb considered part of partially smooth water though? i thought it was only for Open waters.

GiddyUp
18-09-2004, 04:44 PM
try here for safety equipment requirments
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/safety_equipment_rec

Mogwai
18-09-2004, 04:57 PM
ok will do think i will try it out tomorrow morning (saterday)
was going to head of from mainly but i think i will try vicky point or somewhere around there

thanks for all your help guy #;)

MY-TopEnder
18-09-2004, 05:14 PM
You should be fine around Vicky Pt leaving but just be careful on a dead low tide, theres bugger all water there on a dead low. At least coming from Vicky Pt you have a straight run but Cleveland is closer but you will venture into Partially Smooth water.

Fishinmishin
18-09-2004, 09:08 PM
The best book for beginning boaties is 'guide to recreational boating and fishing in queensland' and best of all it's free at most qld transports. Webbys right about the zones but not the epirb. See ya out there.

Fishinmishin
18-09-2004, 09:12 PM
light blue=smooth
blue=partially smooth
dark blue=open
red line=epirb limit

Fishinmishin
18-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Saftey gear
recommended to carry-navagation, bailing, anchoring, oars, drinking water