PDA

View Full Version : Tackle Addicts

webby
13-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Hi The problem with new gear is that there is an overwhelming philosophy perpetrated through the fishing media that you need all the latest tackle.
If you went and looked at most superkeen fishos' gear, there's a good chance you'll find a lot of gear less than one to two years old.
A lot of this new gear is superb, but when it comes down to the basics, and you have to ask yourself the question whether this new gear catches you more fish or lands them better, the question gets harder to answer,
The increase in performance is probably only a couple of percent at best and generally you wont see too many more fish on the hook.
The big question is do you need it, well, that's probably relative. And although your better half may well fail to understand the difference between a penn senator and a penn internatonal, her pleas to buy a new fridge, furniture, clothes etc, are very valid points that you only seem to appreciate when you put your fishing into perspective (if any true fisho ever really does that).
So your going to say, whats all this about, well have been asked to put this question forward.

"If you had to state the five most significant advances in tackle that have improved your fishing in the last ten years, besides reels what would those five be"
regards

Reefmaster
13-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Went to using smaller hooks

Dont think by using heavier leaders that it will be stronger( Heavier it is the harder to tie knots with and has poor knot strength)

stopped using braid ;D :P (im sure that will upset a few but i have my reasons)

Rods that have abit of give in them not like the old broom sticks once used.

NeilD
13-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Affordable GPS systems, chemically sharpened hooks and GSP lines

Neil

jeffo
13-09-2004, 02:42 PM
in the past 2 weeks.... eagle claw circle hooks.. they are working great.. and fish being released in much better condition due to hook position.

Lucky_Phill
13-09-2004, 03:25 PM
5, Brian, 5 'significant' changes.mmmmm Good Question, but can anyone come up with 5. I mean, obviously, if you are just starting out in the fishing game, sure, but, asking it to folk who have been "Plundering the Piscatorial Predators" for 30 plus years is hard. You'd think by now, they'd have it sorted. ::)

1. Braid

2. Lever Drag ( that isn't a reel is it ??? ::) )

3. VMC hooks ( although, have been usig them for more than 10 )

4. Downrigger

5. dunno, except to say, colour sounder and GPS

Is that 5. ?

Probably, for me, technic has changed in the last ten years more-so than, tackle.

How about the price of tackle, WoW, hasn't that sky rocketed, in comparison with CPI and inflation.

Cheers Phill

Cheech
13-09-2004, 05:04 PM
GPS. Only had one for a couple of months, but has made such a difference that I don't know how I did without one.

Tackle (defined as an item that contributes to or is used to assist in catching fish), then item 2 is the internet. Amasing how much I have learnt that has contributed to the end result.

Touchy - R.I.P.
14-09-2004, 03:30 AM
Plundering the Piscatorial Predators! ! ::) ::) :o.OH GAWD Phil where the hell did you get That one from ??? ???,Whatever was in your glass I'll have a couple please :P, 5 advances in tackle eh! webby,Gotta say grahite rods, frangers & Phils, Magnificent Marvellous Magical Machined Manufactored Marine Mackeral Marketable Masterpieces(or better know as Phils Slugs :P) Sorry webby after that one I cant think of any more.Cheers Touchy.><> ><> ><>.

bugman
14-09-2004, 06:46 AM
Brian,

I think baitrunners have made a reel impact - where could fisherman could play a bite say with an alvey or free spool - these things have made that initial touch available to all.

Braid - for sure

Circle hooks

Proably knowledge on how to make rigs more than anything

Bigger boat ;D ;D ;D

If you look at my fishing gear I use rods/reals/tackle in ways that they were designed for (I don't have the money) but I still find the ood fish. Case in point was yesterday's tuna. Wrong reel and wrong rod but still had great fun and landed the fish.

Bugman

agnes_jack
14-09-2004, 08:02 AM
The range now available in soft plastics
Live fibre rods
flurocarbon leaders
graphite rods--for softies
braid lines
Quality baitcaster reels

# # # # # # # # Regards Tony

PS some of these happened longer than 10 years ago, but have all helped my fishing!!

basserman
14-09-2004, 11:10 AM
ELETRIC motor! that has defintly improved the way alot fish and the catch rate
also gps
better lure desinges
better technology for the sounders
4 stroke engines not only for their quiteness but flue efficncy
they are my top five!

JB
14-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Reefmaster: have you ever tried to use softplastics with mono line? I wouldnt even bother its that usless. Braid by a huge margin would have to be number 1.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
14-09-2004, 12:20 PM
sorry brian just can't think of any besides chemically sharpened hooks
I'm not a big fan of braid & the whole soft plastic thing whilst fun ....
the rest is techniques & the greater empahasis on live bait ...
& GPS, that allows me rapid accurate night travel

I do intend to try downrigging though

some of the best fishos i know (the guys that catch big fish often - when they say they will) use the simplest & oldest gear - but stress the importance of bait & its presentation - read the article about "Snowy Batchelor" in this months BnB for an example.

kevy
14-09-2004, 02:36 PM
hi all. plastics were out years ago, all the go. jigging was introduced by the yanks years ago, & it worked well, ( back in the eighties &, i was part of it) some stange fish attacked the plastics. advise/// don,t loose the plot, if you want to try new methods by all means do. just don,t forget the basics & your just singing singing ragtime. all the best, kevy.

Reefmaster
14-09-2004, 02:39 PM
JB
I rarely use plastics mate and when i do i havent found that much trouble in using mono but would totally agree that braid is alot better for throwing lures and plastics around.

Cheers Greg

kevy
14-09-2004, 02:43 PM
by the way, forgot to mention downriggers, it is the way to go for top results. watch you sounder for depth. all the best, kevy.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
14-09-2004, 02:51 PM
"... the five most significant advances in tackle that have improved your fishing ... "
regards

mmmm no mention at all of tying feathers & fluff around a hook :-X ;D

pockets
14-09-2004, 05:51 PM
light gear (graphite rod)
plastics (huge range)
braid (for SP & Lure)
four stroke Mercury

oh, I wanna go out again ;D

Bubba_WA
15-09-2004, 07:52 AM
I would have to say that Boat builders actually listening to Anglers is one of the major advancements in the fishing industry over the last few years.
Berkley Gulps, while very new interms of entry to the country, will revolutionise the SP industry I feel. Not because of the shape or action but because they are Bio-degradable. Its very important that we wise up and start looking and even more enviromentally friendly stuff (Im not a greeny btw)
The embrace of Australian Rod Builders. Anything that generates jobs locally can only be good.

lordy
15-09-2004, 08:21 AM
Boating-----------------------

Affordable GPS
Affordable High quality screens on sounders
Affordable Epirbs
Embrassing electric motors

*4 strokes have been around for quite some time. Etecs maybe with time get a nod.

Tackle ---------------------

Better braids
Snapbacks (floating plastics that are 10x tougher)
new tuna flies.

Rods - not much has changed.
Reels - slightly better but not a great improvement

BigE
15-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Hi Brian my 2 cents worth
#1 BRAID...........
#2 Affordable GPS & sounders
#3 No deposit loans for boats (i wouldn't own one other wise)
#4 Bundy GOLD mid strength
#5 and the best by a country mile THE AUSFISH WEBSITE!!!!
the amount i've enjoyed and learned on here is priceless

tight lines

aussiebasser
15-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Braided or Fused line
Better resolution Depth Sounders
Quintrex Hornets
Merc 4 Strokes
and a Company Car!!!!!!

The only tackle that's gettin' less use, is me wedding tackle!!!

Chris.Y
15-09-2004, 05:18 PM
The only tackle that's gettin' less use, is me wedding tackle!!![/quote]
Would that be cause you can't see it anymore ???
My top 5 would be-
Braided line
Sharper hooks straight out of the pack
New leader techniques (knotted dogs)
Good sounders
Availlability of good tackle & information (except from Dale :-*) sorry maaaate ;D ;D
Cheers Chris

webby
17-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Thanks to those who replies, for interest
Rod designs 5
Hook designs 6
GPS 7
Sounders 7
Braid 9
D.r. 3
Plastics 5
Rigs/Leaders 3
Boats 2
Motor out/elect' 5
jigging 1
Once again thanks for your trubs.
regards

Zeeke
17-09-2004, 04:51 PM
I might pipe up, despite being slack about it

1. High Modulus Graphite Rods
2. Alconite Guides
3. Terminator Snapbacks (Yeah Baby, Gimme more Cobia Action!)
4. Chemically Sharped Hooks
5. Slicker flylines for easier longer casting

Tim

Girella
18-09-2004, 12:55 AM
Tim

Is this your 1000th ? If so congrats.
Nice top 5 also. Keep the education coming. Always interesting.

PK

Tony_N
18-09-2004, 01:42 AM
The only tackle that's gettin' less use, is me wedding tackle!!!Would that be cause you can't see it anymore ???

Mate of mine had this problem of no longer being able to see the tackle. Doc suggested diet

Mate wanted to know what colour?

Touchy - R.I.P.
18-09-2004, 02:14 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

raefpud
18-09-2004, 02:10 PM
umm, i really like the jeans young girls are wearing these days damn................ wrong forum ::)

no actually i think that worthy of mention are:
braid and gelspun
graphite rods
japanese tackle
soft plastics
quality jigheads
micro crankbaits

cheno
19-09-2004, 01:46 PM
1. Soft plastics
2. Soft plastics
3. Soft Plastics
4. Fireline
5. GPS

kevy
19-09-2004, 02:12 PM
good points, mine are as follows, 1 gps 2 colour sounder ( had both for many years) sift through the bullshit & follow the basics, & know your area. all the best, 8) kevy. 8)