PDA

View Full Version : Tailor still runnin

mudguard
22-09-2004, 02:38 PM
I was wondering if the tailor are still chopping this time of the year. Never really chased them before but am keen on heading down byron bay next week and giving it a go. Any help would be appreciated.

mono
22-09-2004, 04:30 PM
G'day Mudguard, yes there are still some great tailor getting around the beaches at the moment. Seven Mile beach, Tallow beach at Byron and Seagull rocks at Brunswick are producing some great fish to 4 kilo. Little hint- we are getting them on garfish only and only just on dark and into the evening. There is also a few jewfish smashing the unweighted gar as well! Good luck.

adamleah
22-09-2004, 05:43 PM
Hey there Mono.....

I thought the new green zones included beach fishing at the spots you named above? Is this true?

Watched your show on ET,,,, was very good congrats once again....But when are the next installments being aired?

mudguard
22-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Thanks mate i will definitely take your advice onboard. Hopefully it will be a good week for fishing, im also going out for a day charter with wahoo on sunday. Hopefully its not to close to the full moon. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

mudguard
22-09-2004, 05:48 PM
Good point about the green zone mate, i will have to check that out. Last time i was down byron, there was a protest convoy of at least 100 boats through byron. Complaining about the new green zone. I have also lost some of my top ship wreck locations in cairns to the green zones.

Dug
22-09-2004, 06:52 PM
has anyone been getting any on the Sunny coast lately? Tailor that is.

Hookem_Herby
22-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Dug,
I picked up a couple on floated pillies last Sat night on the first of the run out tide near the mouth of the Maroochy River (North Shore). Neither of the fish were huge, both 40cm but perfect size for the smoker! ;)

Mudjimba beach has been producing some and so have the beaches to the north from what I've read/heard.
Good luck mate,

Herby

GES
22-09-2004, 09:52 PM
I have been holidaying in that area of northern NSW for years and going tailor fishing off the beaches Mono mentioned.
I hadn't heard about any green zones there. Just as well I read this forum!! #Can anyone tell me what the go is ? Are these areas closed or not ?
If they are, that's the end of my holidays in that area after all these years. What a shame !!

GES

Gorilla_in_Manila
23-09-2004, 04:26 AM
Mudguard / GES,

Here is a link to draft maps of the proposed greens zones for Byron.
Submission date for comment is 29 Nov 2004, so obviously they aren't in force yet.
http://www.mpa.nsw.gov.au/cbmp/cbmp-zoning-plan.htm

You will still be able to fish Tallows at Cosy Corner around to flat rock and Grouper rock, and Tallows from Suffolk Park around to Broken Head.
Flat Rock at Broken Head ok around to Kings beach, but not out at Cocked Hat Rocks. Brays Hole, The Pandanas and Snapper rocks will be closed, but I think you can still do Jew Point and 7mile beach up to Lennox Surf Club.
Anyway, check the Maps for the little yellow strips around these areas where you can line fish land based.

Cheers
Jeff

Dug
23-09-2004, 03:56 PM
thanks Herby all I have to do now is find some time:-)