PDA

View Full Version : NEED INFO ON ROCKHAMPTON PLEASE!

cornnutcase
18-09-2004, 10:28 AM
I am a senior in college in the US, and next semester I am going abroad to study in Rockhampton. Is there anyone who can tell me anything about the area or people? Any information would be very very appreciated!!!
:-*

Big_Kev
18-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Rockhampton is a major country approwimately 700km north of the state of Queenslands capital Brisbane.
I lived in Rockhampton for nearly twelve months when I went to college.
Rocky as it is known to the locals is a major country town near the coast but not on it, basing its roots in the cattle industry.
1/2 an hour to Yepoon on the coast.
In the last twenty years the main growth area has been in coal from the highlands to the west of Rocky.It is a major intersection for the highway north south and west. And is a major rail connection to the same, with the coal being transported by rail.
The people are friendly as found in country towns, but can be found a little old set.
The climate is warm to hot and is dry for a greater part of the year. It only gets cold for a few months and will get down to 5 celcius in the morning and warm enough for no jumper in the day during the winter (20).
Summer will get up to 40 and will be dry.
I hope you enjoy your stay.
Feel free to ask questions Cheers Kev.

mackmauler
18-09-2004, 04:14 PM
yep ;D rocky was put on the map by natasha ryan, http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2003/s832133.htm

the area could do with some nice broads 8)

Big_Kev
18-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Any wonder you are single Rob.LOL

PG
18-09-2004, 07:01 PM
Kev, you make it sound like someone could live there!...I should shutup cos I do. I've lived here for about 19 yrs and strangely enough I work at the University with another ausfish member. What are you going to study?

Rocky is usually pretty bloody hot in summer, 42 Celcius is not uncommon and 2 for some of those horrible winter mornings.
There are some pretty good places to visit around here including the Keppel Island group with coral reef and some pretty good fishing...apparently? although I don't have that much luck :( .
People are generally friendly, the city/town is whatever you make it, just depends on what you want I guess? Check out these sites, hope they are of some use.

http://www.rockhampton.qld.gov.au/ ...check out the visitors section
http://www.rockhamptoninfo.com/

Sportfish_5
18-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Ahh I would say there will be no shortage of offers to take you fishing up there ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You'll love all the bull statues throughout the town too, they had to have their umm testicles bolted to the ground to stop people stealing them lol ! :D

Make sure you get up further north while you are here.

Cheers

Greg

Dug
18-09-2004, 09:09 PM
Don't forget to bring your Banjo:-) I lived in rockhampton for 16 long years and loved seeing it......in the rear view mirror as we were leaving. I also worked at the Uni it was at least partially civilized.

Seriously, I'm sure you will have a great time there are a lot of good people there.

Have fun and cheers

doug

Dug
18-09-2004, 09:12 PM
PS any chance of changing and studying at Uni of the Sunshine Coast. Much more civilized and closer to a lot more of us fishy guys! ;D ;D

billfish1
19-09-2004, 07:14 AM
The best thing about Rocky is the road to Yeppoon.

Dug
19-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Best thing about Rocky is ANY road out of it ;D ;D ;D ;D

mackmauler
19-09-2004, 09:35 PM
AHAHHAAHA, Dug, leave ya details you might have to take on a rocky refugee LOL ;D

Big_Kev
20-09-2004, 01:36 AM
So Dug do you still play the BANJO?? LOL.

Maria
20-09-2004, 04:55 AM
Lmao at these replies. ;D

I used to live in Rocky when I was younger and to be quite honest, I love the place. Dunno why...maybe because I spent a majority of my younger years growing up there. Still love going back every year. Anyways, Rockhampton's pretty much the hub of central Queensland that thrives on the cattle industry. It's not big, but it's bigger than most regional centres. It gets bloody hot in summer and not real cool in winter. Don't swim in the river. ;D What are you studying there?

Ben

Big_Kev
20-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Maria are you saying you can play the BANJO as well??

Gorilla_in_Manila
20-09-2004, 01:54 PM
You know what they say about playing the banjo.....

Six fingers are better than five!

;D

Remo
20-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Its the only place that I know were you would find lots of live bulls in a pub!

From what I can remeber of those nights - Great!!!

Its a fun place if you keep an open mind.

Ray

Maria
20-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Guuuuuuhuhhhhh! Yeeeeeeeeah weelllllll....I'll ask me other head heeeeeeeere and see if he's knows how to play thaaaaaaaat dandy instrument, y'ok? Alllllllllllrighty then Kev....ya'll be havin' a moiiiiiiiiighty fine day now. [smiley=dunce.gif]

Ben

Dug
22-09-2004, 06:30 AM
Sorry my home is full of rocky refugees there is a pub in Brivagas that holds a rocky Reffo night occasionally.

No I cannot play the Banjo I used to play on the Linoleum but then we got carpet :P.

Do you know the musical definition of "A perfect pitch"?

"A perfect pitch" is when you throw a Banjo onto a dump and hit a piano accordion.

OH, and a gentleman is one who can play the banjo,

but chooses not to.

;D ;D ;D ;D

If you do have two heads don't forget to visit Mt Morgan, about an hour from Rockhampton you will fit right in.

Really it's not that bad

[smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif]

Graham_N_Roberts
22-09-2004, 07:14 PM
;) Ah Dug, they have two heads cos, they're twice as smart. ::)

Dug
23-09-2004, 04:03 PM
You heard about the married couple from Mt Morgan getting a divorce?

They asked the lawyer if after the divorce they would still be brother and sister?

[smiley=clown.gif]