PDA

View Full Version : rules @ regulations

bigbrian47
25-09-2004, 03:35 PM
any truth in this info from a chandlery assistant today
1. any out of date flares are illegal on board ( even if you have indate ones)
2. if people with same surname @ address are crabbing then four pots only allowed
between them
we are talking queensland here i am sceptical, is he right
cheers brian :-/ :-/

Heath
25-09-2004, 03:38 PM
The first one could be a possiblility, but the second scenario is crap, they are allowed their own number of pots.

webby
25-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Mate at present you, your missus and your kids over 15 can all have the required number of pots with names attached.
But there are changes on the way, and until the RIS comes out and approvals are given. Stick to what youve been doing.
regards

bigbrian47
25-09-2004, 04:20 PM
;D ;D grandkid's now webby for the last 30 years i've been
working on the 4 pot rule over 15 @ if more than 2 in the
boat still only ran 8 pots
i was checked by water police a few months ago (first time ever) @ showed them both current @ out of date flares @
nothing said by them
this bloke was adamant today though so thought i'd check
thanks for your replies
cheers brian

cuda
25-09-2004, 04:26 PM
when i did my boat licencing course through archies he said it was a good idea to keep the old ones onboard ( flares that is ) as he had someone in his class that once needed to use flares and the strikers on the new ones didn't work so he had to use the strikers off the old ones that worked fine, so his advice was to keep them just incase such a situation arose again
i did my boat licence course about 2 1/2 years ago and not sure if the regulations have since changed
Gary

bungie
25-09-2004, 04:32 PM
what changes webby ??

Glug
25-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Flares; I think only South Australia states that it is illegal to carry out of date flares but other states give Australian standards specs that should be complied with and under general safety regulation out of date flares could be illegal. Queensland; new regulations state flares come under equipment that must be serviced by the expirery date.
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/MSQ.nsf/ReferenceLookup/fact_sheet_recreational.pdf/$file/fact_sheet_recreational.pdf

Kerry
26-09-2004, 04:21 AM
The thing with out of date flares is that in an emergency the first flare grabbed could be an oldie, so could the second etc as one really isn't going to take the time to check the dates, especially in the dark.

Obviously there is a lot of beef built into the expiry date and oldie's should still fire but then there's Murphy's law.

No doubt many keep old flares (just in case) but keep them separate from the legal ones, out of sight and say nothing.

A similar thing exists with spare tyres, one can have a good spare and also a "second" spare, which could be illegal (as such) and even though the other spare is good the vehicle would get a defect notice for having a bad spare tyre, have no spare tyres at all and there's no problem.

Cheers, Kerry.