PDA

View Full Version : fish aggregating devices

caloundra
17-09-2004, 04:15 PM
sorry another silly question
noticed in this month's bush'n beach mag they put a FAD(fish aggregation device) off the sunshine coast.
what is that ???

Daniel

Girella
17-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Another interpretation is Fish Attracting Device I believe.

I think it is simply an anchored buoy.

Some species of fish, most particularly Dolphin Fish are attracted to these man-made devices and they therefore provide
good fishing sites.

Cheech
17-09-2004, 05:16 PM
That's it.

I checked out the location and it is a bit south and 3/4 of the way to the Bowan Banks. Would probably be a great spot to stop off on the way out or back to the banks.

agnes_jack
18-09-2004, 10:10 AM
Awsome things!
They should have them scattered allover the place!
Hold heaps of pelagic species, cobes, macks etc etc.
Would love to see a line of em about 1km off the shore, scattered a few hundred metres apart off 1770!

Just dreamin! no hope in the marine park!
Bugga, Tony

Regards, Tony

Hookem_Herby
18-09-2004, 12:01 PM
Daniel,
Just try not to hit it on the way out on a sneaky trip to the banks. :o :P Should be great once it's established and holding some fish. Can't wait!!! ;D

Herby

p.s. Cheech did you say you had a gps mark for it? ::) ;)

caloundra
18-09-2004, 03:32 PM
the mark is in this month's bush'n beach mag
it is 23 38 830
153 28 930

Daniel

Cheech
24-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Correction, it is 26 38 830 153 28 930
not 23 38 830 153 28 930

Cheech
24-09-2004, 05:20 PM
see the yellow bit that is just a bit south southwest of the banks.

SeaSaw
24-09-2004, 06:40 PM
That looks like it will be worth a try ;)

It took me a while to work out that map Cheech, as the depths didn't look right. Then I realised it must be in fathoms. ::)

Mark

dfox
24-09-2004, 07:07 PM
have to put that one on the plotter deffently dont want to hit that in the dark. youd think that cheech could have included his favourite fishing marks as well on that map ;D
...foxy

wessel
26-09-2004, 09:19 PM
FAD's are great.

Working for a marine construction company - we always have to create our own anchor points for our barges and other "stuff" we have on the water when we are busy with a project.

When fishing on my off days we always head out for these anchor points and catch something for the pot. You are virtually guarenteed of landing a spanish mac near our ones that is less than a kilometer offshore. Good place to stock up on some baitfish too before heading out to look for the big ones that frequent our waters on the other side of the pond.
They are a problem in the dark though if not lit up or marked on your GPS.

These FAD's can get pretty crowded at times though - especially during the school holiday seasons. Ever seen twenty boats trying to anchor off one of these all at the same time?? Can get pretty hairy when some idiot tanked to the gills with beer come in there with his multimillion dollar boat and tries to pull rank. Not a pretty site.

As Tony said - wish they will put more of these in accessible places.

Regards

Wessel