PDA

View Full Version : Green power FAD!!!!

Dug
28-09-2004, 04:55 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/09/26/1096137100758.html

A self-taught inventor has signed a contract with Country Energy, one of the country's biggest power grids, to test a new source of clean and renewable electricity that will harness ocean currents and has the potential to drastically reduce electricity costs on islands.

Mick Perry, 42, a former auto-electrician and tuna fisherman, is the driving force behind the $3 million underwater generator, the Aquanator, which will be moored in the mouth of the Clarence River at Maclean in northern NSW.

Currents of about 2.5 knots will rotate aquafoils on the generator, which is 57 metres across and nine metres high, producing one megawatt of electricity - enough to power 660 households daily.

A two-year contract begins next year, but the production company, Atlantis Energy, is already in exploratory talks with island communities, including Lord Howe, which depend on diesel-powered or wind generators.

Electricity from ocean current generators costs more than power from coal-fired grids and about the same as wind-powered energy. However, the cost is about one-sixth that of diesel-powered systems.

Ocean and river currents are more dependable than the wind or solar power and can guarantee supply. Moored underwater, the Aquanator is out of sight and silent.

Looks good to me I guess we would no be able to fish near it though, Imagine a power blackout and losing your lure at the same time ;D

lordy
28-09-2004, 06:01 AM
what do you do with them during floods?

Chrisso
28-09-2004, 06:28 AM
I recall doing quite a bit of research a finding similar sources of renewable energy. I think it was the Phillipines or somewhere in the islands of asia that a 'Tidal Wall' was planned to be constructed, with slow, underwater prop/fan things to be turned by the very strong tidal flow in the areas. :)

Not a bad Idea - better than hydrogen fuel cells that are a waste of time unless you can pull hydrogen gas out of thin air. :o

Dug
28-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Maybe if we all got together we could form a combined methane and hot air generator? ;D ;D

lordy
28-09-2004, 04:13 PM
I recall doing quite a bit of research a finding similar sources of renewable energy. I think it was the Phillipines or somewhere in the islands of asia that a 'Tidal Wall' was planned to be constructed, with slow, underwater prop/fan things to be turned by the very strong tidal flow in the areas. :)

Not a bad Idea - better than hydrogen fuel cells that are a waste of time unless you can pull hydrogen gas out of thin air. :o

We will still need the hydrogren fuel cells. Hydrogen isn't the problem, they'll get it from water. Hydrogren fuel cells will be powering the cars and boats and acting as batteries/fuel. Without them people are getting around with 250KM long power cords. They'll be fuel of tomorrow, we just need a cheap and green way of powering them up. For that we need new interesting sources of green power.

lordy
28-09-2004, 04:28 PM
http://hotrock.anu.edu.au/

Here is my fav technology. Looks like a winner.

Dug
28-09-2004, 05:54 PM
I love hot rock technology! I would love to know why we don't have generators?? it is simple efficient and clean and we have so many locations where it would be possible. It will never work unless there is huge profits for some private corporations.

Gorilla_in_Manila
29-09-2004, 07:18 AM
Interesting to note that the mouth of the Clarence has moved 10km inland. Somebody better tell the residents of Yamba and Iluka. :-/

Maybe this is the thing that they are suggesting for between inskip point and fraser.
See previous post.http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/board/YaBB.cgi?board=General;action=display;num=10940295 05

Cheers
Jeff