PDA

View Full Version : Labors Plan: The Fishing Party Response

kc
29-09-2004, 05:33 PM
28th September 04

Labor Recreational Fishing Policy a bit undersized.

Labor Shadow Minister for Fisheries Gavan O’Connor announces Recreational Fishing Policy in Mackay at 12.30 today to lukewarm response from some sectors of the rec fishing community.

The Fishing Party (Qld) Senate Candidate Kevin Collins, while welcoming some overdue political recognition of recreational fishers in Qld remains disappointed that more is not being done by both the major parties.

“To a large degree we have “me too” policies from both parties, funding national recreational fishing lobby group Recfish, to the tune of $100,000 per year, but frankly, for an industry worth $320M a year to Qld alone we would have hoped for a lot more”, said Collins.

“Mr O’Connor seemed to dodge the issue of wether Labors plan to implement the “United Nations Global Program of Action for the Protection of the Marine Environment”, was political double speak for more no fishing zones, and clearly we would like this clarified”, he said.

“At the end of the day, recreational fishers just wanted the ear of Government and due recognition that in the rush to pander to the greens with massive shut-outs and what amounts to greedy land and sea grabs, they have overstepped the mark, and started effecting the lifestyles of 1 in every 5 Australian families who like to go fishing”.

“Walking a beach during the holidays with the kids and a fishing rod is a Queensland icon, like the surfboards on Bondi and this is what is now banned or restricted on 1800 kilometres of the Queensland Coast as a result of Government policy”.

“That both sides of politics have come to Qld and announced, for the first time in history, specific recreational fishing policy is both overdue and no co-incidence.”

“The threat of an organised voting block has hit its mark and recreational fishers now have a political voice, which is being listened to.”

I Fish & I Vote…is now more than just a bumper sticker!

Ends

Media Enquiries; Kevin Collins 0414 785 462 email kc@whitsunday.net.au