PDA

View Full Version : help please, fisheries policy

imnotoriginal
29-09-2004, 06:02 AM
Hey guys,
I have an environmental politics class at uni at the moment (full of the barefoot brigade) and I'm looking at covering the Queensland fisheries policy. Was hoping for some opinions about the legislation, what's good, what's bad, what's ugly and what else can be done. If anyone has any official stuff they'd be able to send me as well that would be really appreciated. Also, if there is any other particular policies you think deserve mention (like the wonderful fisheries policies of outer patagonia etc...) please let me know. Thanks heaps
Joel

imnotoriginal
29-09-2004, 06:12 AM
Sorry, I should be more specific, Queensland recreational fishing restrictions.
Joel

Gorilla_in_Manila
29-09-2004, 06:59 AM
Joel,
Here's a question you may like to research.
QLD fisheries says sand whiting are mature at 21cm, hence the size limit of 23cm.
NSW fisheries says they are mature at 26cm, hence their 27cm size limit.
So who's telling the porky? ???
Cheers
Jeff

imnotoriginal
29-09-2004, 07:08 AM
Excellent question, thanks for that, it will make interesting reading.
Joel

sharkbait
29-09-2004, 08:22 AM
QLD size limit 23 Jeff, excellent question nonetheless.

Kris.

Gorilla_in_Manila
29-09-2004, 08:51 AM
Thanks Kris,
I've just leaped in and used the modify button to fix it.
Went looking on the QLD DPI website, and couldn't find the size limits easily, so had a punt thinking it was 22. Wrong again. :-X

Another issue that springs to mind regarding this:

For QLD and NSW to come up with 2 completely different figures, they must have done independant studies to arrive at the different conclusions. A prime example of tax dollars wasted.

Not only is it a waste of money duplicating the studies, one of the studies must be wrong. The only exception I could think of is that they mature faster in warmer water for some reason. Makes no sense when comparing fish from Tweed V's Coolangatta though.

If they have duplicated the studies for sand whiting, I guess it is fair to assume that they have done so for just about all other species common to both states.
Enormous waste of money, methinks.

What about the other states? Might have a bit of a look at the WA site and see if they come up with something different.

Be interesting to find out if they plan to pool their info now that both fisheries are under DPI. Incompetent and wasteful if they don't.

Might be a point for KC to raise in his maiden speech in the senate. Federal funds being divied up between the states only to be used to repeat each others work. ;)

Cheers
Jeff

imnotoriginal
29-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Yeah, there's differing opinions in a couple of sites....if only the whiting could tell us themselves. :P
Joel

kc
29-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Hi Joel,

Nice to have your interest. Mate, at present, things are a bit overwhelming but PM me after the election and I will give you everything we have about fisheries policy (& it's plenty)

Regards

KC
The Fishing Party (Qld)