PDA

View Full Version : mozzie repellant????

cuzzamundi
28-09-2004, 04:30 PM
g'day all,

just wondering if anyone knows of a good repeelant that wont affect the bait if it's on my fingers. i know some can effect the baits, so i need to know which wont as theyre coming back on the chew! thanks heaps and take care all.

cuzza

budgie
28-09-2004, 04:45 PM
RUM!!!!

Cheech
28-09-2004, 05:06 PM
I think a help is to apply the first coat at home before you go to the ramp, and then you only need to top up after a couple of hours of fishing.

Along the same lines of not touching fuel. I always try to fill up in the way home rather than to the ramp ( use the boat weekly so it does not get stale).

The other thing that some of the guys do is to make their own out of 1/3 baby oil. 1/3 detol, and 1/3 metho. I think the metho is to help dry the rest as it evaporates. The thing with the home brew is that you need a spray bottle to apply it so if you are careful you will not get any on your hands so not put the fish off.

Cheech

Cheech
28-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Actually forgot to mention,, I think that if you substitute the baby oil with 30+ sunscreen, you will end up with a really good sunscreen and mozzie repelent in one. Give it a go and be our guinnea pig. No idea if it will work. Just looking for someone else to test it for me.

SeaSaw
28-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Cheech,
filling up the fuel is the deckies job on the way to the ramp - that way you always outfish them ;D ;D ;D

searaider
28-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Mark,
Top tip ,I'll have to remember that one . [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
We can't let those deckies beat us !

Hope to catch up with you out wide again soon .
Bl##dy Northerlies .

Peter
Searaider 2 #

agnes_jack
29-09-2004, 04:03 AM
I dont think it matters what sort of repelant you use, you just cant get it on your hands! Tried the home brew stuff, tits on a bull!!!!!
The only repelant that lasts the distance with the sandflies up this way is the old bushmans. It melts plastic, removes paint but it does keep those bloody midgies off.
Sometimes at night they are so thick you are breathing the little suckers in,Go the bushmans! ;)

# # # # # # # Regards, Tony
PS- I think budgie's on the right track, drink enough rum and you won't even feel the little mongrels!

Gorilla_in_Manila
29-09-2004, 06:25 AM
Unfortunately, I had the opportunity to test out a tip I got from here regarding sand fly bites whilst up at fraser earlier this year.
Dob of vegemite on the bite [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] Bloody brilliant.
You end up looking like a giraffe or cheetah, but who gives a rat's A when it stops the itching instantly?
Bought a spray bottle and fully intended to mix up a home brew (like cheech suggested) but with diluted vegemite in it as well, but never got to fish a sand fly area again, so didn't try it out. Anyone keen to test it out? ;D

Best thing I found for getting the foreign smells off your fingers
(is not to put your fingers in foreigners to start with ;D ;D ;D)
but seriously, folks; is salt.
Pour about a heaped tablespoon in one hand, add a couple of drops of water to make a paste and use the granules to scrub your fingers hard. An alternative to this is wet sand if you are beach fishing.
Real good idea to do this before attempting to catch beach worms. ;)

There you go ..... Martha Stewart, eat your heart out! :D

Cheers
Jeff

agnes_jack
29-09-2004, 06:31 AM
Jeff
I think that you have just come up with a brilliant way of getting off to an early start in the mornings!
What quicker way to get going in the mornings? brilliant!
Make up a diluted butter and vegimite spray. 2 seconds with the spray bottle and your toast is ready to go! AWESOME!!!!!!

Regards, Tony ;D ;D ;D [smiley=bulb2.gif]

Maria
29-09-2004, 06:35 AM
Have to agree with Tony there, Bushman's is the best stuff I've come across yet for fishing creeks and mangrove areas that are infested with insects.

The scent of any repellent does tend to sour baits and limit bites, so do the obvious thing - use roll on or aerosol. That way, you don't have to rub the stuff in...just use a thin application and allow it to dry. Also, apply it on your clothes if you're wearing good ol' dodgy fishing clothes. I've found in the past that in really heavily infested areas, mosquitoes especially will ignore skin if it has repellent on it, and try to bite through clothes. Sollution to this of course is to apply a bit to your clothes as well. Never have any dramas this way.

Ben

Maria
29-09-2004, 06:36 AM
Lol, I once saw on the net that some Jap mob had invented butter in a glue-stick type thing. Just the same as glue - roll it up, rub it on the toast, roll it back down, replace the cap.

Ben

NQCairns
29-09-2004, 07:21 AM
Friskies dog shampoo with pyrethrum and wash your cloths in it to keep those back bites away.nq

wacco_fozzy
29-09-2004, 08:29 AM
I have enough trouble with keeping the mother-in-laws poodle off my leg now without visiting smelling like another freshly washed pooch

jimbamb
29-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Heard if ya eat Vitamin B tablets for a while (Some Weeks) before ya go near them ,they stay away.Sounds possible as vegemite has lots of vit C in it.
Bushmans is the best product ya can buy .maybee eatin lots of vegemite will help,

Remo
29-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Try 50% baby oil and Detol in a spray bottle

bidkev
30-09-2004, 06:40 AM
The ignorant whingeing pomm asks, "what's Bushmans and where can you get it"? I know what Bushmills is :-)

One time last year, at the pin, the mozzies came in on us and they were bloody *HUGE*. There was 12 of us, all sprayed up and they simply bit clean through our clothes and even straight onto the flesh where we had sprayed. I don't normally spray myself and have never been bitten when I'm sat amongst others who have, but this time!!!

We have a mozzy net all the way round the tarp now.........I swear, they came in on us just as we dished up a crab mornay.....it was windy and by all acounts they shouldn't have been around but they appeared just as we dished up. Conclusion: Don't waste good crab by sticking it in a cheese sauce :-)

cheers

kev

agnes_jack
30-09-2004, 06:54 AM
Kev
Bushmans is heavy duty aussie strength repelant, (not recomended for young kids)
You should be able to get it at most tackle or camping stores.

Regards, Tony ;)

bidkev
30-09-2004, 07:02 AM
Kev
Bushmans is heavy duty aussie strength repelant, (not recomended for young kids)
You should be able to get it at most tackle or camping stores.

# # # # # # # #Regards, Tony ;)

Cheers Tony.

kev

NeilD
30-09-2004, 02:53 PM
Bushmans is high in DEET which is the main active ingredient. It used to be sold straight in a little glass bottle called Kokoda and this stuff would eat right through clothing and lines and even take the paint off lures. Great stuff though. The homemade ones eg dettol, citronella & oil don't compare with the commercial ones available.

Neil

Neil

Black_Rat
30-09-2004, 05:17 PM
RUM!!!!
Could be the answer 8) ??? must try some more #;D ;D

PS: Bushmans is the best I've tried #;)

imported_admin
30-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Best I have found so far is Thursday Plantation Walkabout Insect Repellent
http://216.55.176.232/INETUCRIDGUEST_1096464736_27333_22234/catalogue/n80567/cache/header-13public__0-0.html?cache=no
or
http://www.thursdayplantation.com/

Best thing is it doesn't contain DEET.

If you forget to put any one try this recipe to soothe the bites

10g Aloe Gel or 10g Aloe Cream
3 drops Blue Chamomile 3%
2 drops Lavender

And if you forget to put on the sunscreen try this

10g Aloe Gel or 10g Aloe Cream
3 drops Blue Chamomile 3%
2 drops Lavender
1 drops Spearmint or 1 drops Lime

Lucky_Phill
01-10-2004, 05:09 PM
1/3 Dettol

1/3 Baby oil

1/3 Metho

You WILL be suprized how good this combo works.

Worked a treat at Turkey Beach, and we all know about TURKEY !

Phill