PDA

View Full Version : Skinning and Filleting Fish while @ Sea

baldyhead
30-09-2004, 06:56 AM
I need some help with this problem.
In the Smart State smart fishing guide to rules and regulations from DECEMBER 13 2003, it states under Skinning and Filleting fish that.... "Quote...Rec Anglers on a boat must not remove the skin or scales from a fish until it is brought ashore. Once the skin is removed the fish or fillet must not be returned to the boat. Fish must only be divided into portions in a way that allows an inspector to easily count the number of fish in possession... unquote."

So here's my problem...when I go fishing up to 50km offshore I take a fry pan with a coating mix and have a feed of fresh fish aboard my vessel. When I stay out for a few days/nites I only take a loaf of bread and cook myself blo*dy good fish burgers.
Under this ridiculous regulation how do I go now? any ideas fellas/gals?

agnes_jack
30-09-2004, 07:10 AM
Just eat both fillets before returning to shore.
Or chuck em overboard if you see a fisheries boat coming :-/
Another stupid governmental decision. Designed to make criminals out of innocent people. >:(

# # # # #Regards, Tony :-/ :-/ :-/

Volvo
30-09-2004, 07:59 AM
:)Mate i carry the same type of frypan onboard my Boat lol and its reason for bein there is axactly same as yours ..
Some of those reds which are a shitehair from the legit make a nice deep fried Fillet at sea ::)..
Cheers

nulla
30-09-2004, 08:18 AM
Baldy

Tony has the right idea - once its eaten you have them beat. Unless they use stelth technology you are bound to see them coming. I can't see how you will get pinched unless you keep them in the esky when you come home. Just don't forget you have them onboard.

More stupid rules that can't be enforced.

ba229
30-09-2004, 08:50 AM
who's going to be out 50km checking fish?

i reckon you would be safe as long as you don't bring em back in filleted

nictim
30-09-2004, 08:50 AM
It is trying to stop the yellow rain coat brigade from filleting large numbers of under size fish while sitting in the bay all day and night, just check out the sand pumping jetty G.C. I have seen someone with a hand mincer mincing up tailor when I had a shot at him he told me to F-off and he was an Ozzy
No wonder they have gone a little bit overboard

Cheers steve

agnes_jack
30-09-2004, 10:13 AM
Steve
Its good that they make rules to stop that sort of stuff, trouble is they don't have the balls to enforce it on anyone but those who don't deserve it!

Regards, Tony

snappa
30-09-2004, 10:41 AM
under size reds :o cooked at sea #:-X
why didnt i think ??? of that !!!
bugga
i dont go fishing over nite #:-/

ar back to crumbed snappa

nictim
30-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Hi Tony
The Gold Coast is getting more like the Wild West every day lots of rules but no sheriff to enforce them, try to find a police officer when you need one and we would have to have the worst drivers in Australia NO RULES

Kiktz
30-09-2004, 11:33 AM
Hi guys,
This is my first posting, I have been on this site daily since finding it a few months ago I think it is tops.

I couldn't hold from having my two bobs worth on this. I must say having done a great deal of fishing on the Gold Coast and only being able to speak from my encounters. IT really gets under my skin[smiley=angryfire.gif] the amount of people that get away with a variety of things while fishing / Boating.

A couple of weeks ago I was anchored ont of the chanel at the Council Chambers, and another boat came with in two meters of our boat whilst cutting the corner cutting a couple of my lines. I know thats a little off the subject but I have to agree with Nictim and the rest of you guys that there are so many different laws but who in the hell is there to enforce them.

They are willing to slap hefty finds on fisherman if caught with a fish 1cm undersize, but What are they doing about the thousands of under size fish being kept. EG The pumping jetty,

Nictim, Next time chuck his rod in the drink, I feel it is up to us as the greater majority that care about fishing in the next 10years and on to put our foot down and get something going. Sorry for being so long winded but it just came out!!!

Cheers

baldyhead
30-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Hey U better BE CAREFUL Kiktz as U just might follow the rod into the brinny M8.
Also I'm sure that U would be charged with some offence by our Armed Tax Collectors for interfering with a persons goods etc.
As I said U BETTER BE CAREFUL!!!!!
cheers baldy

NeilD
30-09-2004, 02:40 PM
I think there are allowances for fish for immediate consumption. We have a cruising boat and fish caght make up a large part of our diet when we are away. How do the liveaboards get around buying a feed of fish and taking it home (onboard). ???

Neil

NQCairns
30-09-2004, 05:09 PM
I read somewhere and cannot back it up now that cooked fish is food and outside of the regs, that would take care of the offshore consumption problem if it still holds true.
Off to the side some: in theory I guess a person could have bagged out cooked species in freezer and their bag limit of fresh and still be lawfull.

When does the QLD recfishing 4 year UNI course start ::) nq

baldyhead
01-10-2004, 05:27 PM
I KNOW that the QBFP DPI read this site and am DEAFENED by their SILENCE

Kerry
01-10-2004, 05:50 PM
I think there are allowances for fish for immediate consumption....

This is one of those "oversights" and legally there is no "offical" allowances. It's a stuff up by some who have really no idea what is common sense and what is not.

Commercial boats are in the same situation but with some of them (such as prawn trawlers) they are not even allowed to have "fish" on board, full stop be it for any purpose.

Cheers, Kerry.

gif
01-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Yes it is an oversite

I was in a meeting where this was pointed out to the Minister and senior staff - and they took notes, and seemed surprised. ( heavy sigh)

There are sections of the Regulations where there is a loophole "for immediate consumption." from memory crabs or prawns is one example.

So I expect this to be fixed in the next round of Legislations.

And if you go to Court on this one I will run the case for you for free.

At times the drafting of the Regulations is very poor. and obvious problems like this one are missed.

Until then if you want to be 100% legal just eat it offshore and enjoy munching on the skin and scales!