PDA

View Full Version : catching Permit Vid clip

Brett_Hoskin
03-10-2004, 02:13 PM
I was surfing the netand stumbled over a site with a few vid clips. This one shows 2 guys catching Permit on big threadline combos...hear those reels scream.......

http://www.addictivefishing.com/videos/WestCoast_300.asf

Wesley_Pang
04-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Brett,

Thanks for that link.

But as a flyfisherman, there's only one way to catch a permit. It's too easy with a live crab ;D ;D.

One day, I'll nail one. I heard they are going off at Cape York.

Wes

Fitzy
04-10-2004, 04:28 PM
I got a permit, one to fish the lakes in Qld; a stocked impoundment type permit. :P

Scored plenty of snubbies at Mackay when working there some years back. I honestly cant see why folks get overly excited about them. Is it the borrowed name (permit) & stigma borrowed from OS?
Dart are normally a fall back species when the tailor arent running or something to keep the kids amused. Swallowtail or snub nosed, they're still a dart. ;)

Cheers,

fitzy..

Wesley_Pang
04-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Fitzy,

Did you get them on fly?

I guess the permit(aka Snub-nose Dart) have a bit of an reputation for been the most difficult of the inshore Grand Slam(Bonefish, Atlantic Tarpon and Permit caught in 1 day). Only 20 odd fly-caught Grand Slams were record by the IGFA last year.

They are usually very difficult to catch on fly, but dead easy on live crab.

I've caught bonefish, and tarpon on fly in Australian waters, but have yet to get a snubbie.

If only snubbies tailed on the flats of Hervey Bay like the Golden Trevally.

Wes

mackmauler
04-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Wes, I caught my first snubbie off moffat beach as a 9yr old, on a yabbie, still remember that fish ;D bugger the fly mate, get one under your belt ;) if only you could fish the fraser easten beach when they are there in numbers, old jack i stayed with up there yrs ago had 5 in the freezer up to 9kg just for bragging rights, they were caught about this time of yr, perhaps there is a run of them, coincidence ash caught 1 the other day perhaps..your right though, some tailing fish would raise their profile locally.
Rob

Fitzy
04-10-2004, 07:18 PM
Fitzy,

Did you get them on fly?
Wes
Yes, & other gear as well. First one was a fluke as I was taking a group of kids (relos) fishing & got one on a prawn of all things.
Probably got about 20 all up in the same spot before it got boring. :-X

fitz

Wesley_Pang
04-10-2004, 09:47 PM
Fitzy,

That awesome!!

Del Brown landed over 500 Permit on fly. He's the Don Bradman of Permit flyfisherman.

The reports from Cape York of 15 snubbies landed in a day on floating crab flies.

Wes

Fisheasy
05-10-2004, 08:33 AM
Ah Wes, that's supposed to be a secret still until the article comes out - naughty naughty!!! :-X

Wesley_Pang
05-10-2004, 09:10 AM
Fisheasy,

It's not too much of a secret if it's plastered over the net.

http://www.seafaris.com.au/newsletter.asp

Mag's are so 20th Century ;D. It's the information superhighway now. Land the fish, post the streamed video from your laptop on board via sat phone to the whole world wide wait :D. How much is one of those sat camera they used to cover the Gulf War?

When's the next flight to Bamaga?

Wes

P.S. I'll catch up with you up at Hervey Bay ;) ;)