PDA

View Full Version : Call for ban of shark nets!

Gorilla_in_Manila
02-10-2004, 10:01 AM
Hmmmm.... I wonder how many GNS were killed by rec fishers at Byron last month?
Oh, let me guess...
BIG FAT DONUT perhaps??
[smiley=wut.gif]

There is that squeaky wheel screaming for more grease again. (and suceeding in gaining media attention) :-/

ABC news article
=================================
http://www.abc.net.au/news/australia/nsw/northcoast/200410/s1210966.htm

Australia : NSW : Lismore
Last Update: Friday, October 1, 2004. 9 AM (AEST)

Shark deaths prompt call for nets rethink

The deaths of two endangered sharks have sparked anger from NSW Green groups, and a call for restrictions on shark nets.

Two grey nurse sharks died last month.

With only limited numbers of the shark left, the deaths have drawn an angry response.

Greens' MLC Ian Cohen says the nets do not protect swimmers.

"I have been calling on the Minister to consider not laying the nets before the end of the whale migration season at a minimum, but because of their lack of coverage on the coast they don't actually prevent the sharks getting in and 40 per cent of the sharks are captured on the way back out," he said.

"So they don't represent an effective protection for swimmers and yet we're seeing our harmless, threatened species like the grey nurse being destroyed."

jeffo
02-10-2004, 12:17 PM
one thing the greenys WONT overcome.. and thats tourism!! would hurt the governments pocket to much in lost tourism if they were to get rid of shark nets (not that they do bugger all any way)

... thats just my opinion

The_Walrus
02-10-2004, 09:20 PM
I'll bet that the shark netting kills more grey nurse than any rec fishos.

But hey, that's ok cause shark netting is for the good of the community.

Luc

ssbayguide
06-10-2004, 02:39 PM
You enter the water, you enter the shark's domain. Simple as that.

SeaHunt
07-10-2004, 07:58 AM
Get rid of the nets , I would rather see 10 people eaten by sharks than one whale drown.. It is not like tourists are an endangered species.
Think about this.
We spend billions trying to cure fatal diseases , helping infertile couples have babies and saving the starving hoards in third world countries when there are already way too many people on the planet. If any other species had reached plague proportions and was harming the environment we would be culling them not trying to save every single one. :P

ssbayguide
07-10-2004, 08:09 AM
I agree with SeaHunt. The effectiveness of shark nets has been questioned for some years and many would conclude that set drum lines are more appropriate.

I have seen (from an elevated position) sharks swimming in amongst swimmers, who were obviously unaware of their presence. Yelling out a warning would have only created a baitball effect.

It's just like people who live on man-made canals and complain about sharks coming in. Better not to have built the canal in the first place.

We are a very selfish species.

Sportfish_5
07-10-2004, 09:07 AM
and give me back Hendersons ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

PinHead
07-10-2004, 03:19 PM
"Get rid of the nets , I would rather see 10 people eaten by sharks than one whale drown.. It is not like tourists are an endangered species."

That is easy to say until it is one of your family that gets taken then I bet it would be a different tune.

mini696
09-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Loose the nets.

When I look at the placement of them I think " How does a shark know to go there"??

mackmauler
09-10-2004, 01:40 PM
It is really about time the nets came out, we have enough rednecks like MR Hislop keeping the beaches safe, the nets are overkill ::) ::) ::) ;D

Perhaps the council can sponsor the ausfish shark hunt :P better keep the tagging section under wraps :-X

save the whales 8)

Sportfish_5
09-10-2004, 05:53 PM
How does shark flesh go as burley :-X :-X :-X

Mugil
10-10-2004, 02:37 AM
The shark nets are just a placebo (IMHO) to make the tourists feel safe.
Interestingly last year they closed some of the Gold Coast beaches because of large packs of sharks in the surf chasing pilchard schools.
The question begging to be asked was…”Why didn’t the nets stop them?”

Whales and GNS aside they also kill a lot of rays, turtles and other harmless species.
The netters claim they release GNS unharmed (yeah right!), and the powers believe them!