PDA

View Full Version : IT ASSISTANCE

SNELLY
05-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Got back from 2 weeks away and knew that my Emails would be full .

Was advised by wife computer had problems ( I just knew that this was going to happen ) -Anyway it appears that the kids didn't do anything wrong and that it just happened.

So when I fire the computer up it comes up with a warning " this program preformed an illegal operation - up the top of the box it has the windows symbol and Mprexe. In the details box its got a lot of numbers but also "stack dump".

Also I can't get the computer to dail up and it does not recognise any drives - Ie you go to RUN and click browse and there is nothing there plus the computer will not shut down and when the screen saver cuts in you can not get back to the normal screen.

Anyone got any pointers ?

Pretty frustrating when you can't get caught up after being away.

Thanks Snelly

SCOTTYGC
05-10-2004, 09:53 AM
sounds like the virus i had a while back

SNELLY
05-10-2004, 10:09 AM
Scotty,

Thought as much but I don't understand how it would have activated when the computer was OK before i left it and nothing was done with any emails ( ie received or opened ) while I was away.

Anyway what did you do to fix it ?

Snelly

Tezza985
05-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Snelly,

If your still able to access the net, do a virus test with an updated virus detector to find out which virus you have, or if you don't have internet access, go back into system restore, and restore your computer to an earlier date, like a week or so before you went away. It may fix the problem!

Most up to date Virus detectors will pick up a virus in the system and let you know which one it is and how to deal with it, and there are free ones to download off the internet.

Some virus's can even download into your computer without opening an attachment, so it pays to keep your Virus detector up to date.

Symantec have a site with all the named virus's out there, and also patches to clean them up.

Hope you get it fixed. Tezza.

SNELLY
05-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Tezza,

Thanks for that - I can't get the computer to dail up at all

I was able to run spybot but it come up with nothing

Snelly

Heath
05-10-2004, 12:23 PM
If using XP, do a system restore to a date just before you went away ;)

Found some info on mprexe

SYMPTOMS
When you log on to Windows, or after you install Windows, you may receive the following error message, and your computer may stop responding (hang):

MPREXE not responding
CAUSE
This behavior can occur for any of the following reasons:
Your password list (.pwl) file is damaged.
A service or program that loads during the startup process conflicts with another service or program.
You are using user profiles.
There is a hardware conflict on your computer.
A hardware driver on your computer is missing or damaged.
If profiles are enabled, Windows may not be able to contact the primary domain controller's Netlogon share when looking for a Config.pol file. (Windows checks for a Config.pol file even if policies are not used.)
Your primary domain controller (PDC) is not local to your Windows 95 or Windows 98 clients.
A single user profile is corrupted.
Your network adapter is not correctly seated.
You are using a reserved word for your user name.

or

Mprexe.exe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mprexe.exe category: system files

Process: Windows Routing Process (more info about Windows Routing Process)

mprexe.exe size: information not available

mprexe.exe calls: information not available

mprexe.exe compiler: information not available

mprexe.exe packer: information not available

DLLs referenced to mprexe.exe: information not available

Extension: *.exe

mprexe.exe structure: information not available

mprexe.exe internal info: information not available

Text in mprexe.exe: information not available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mprexe.exe explanation:
This file is related to one of the crucial processes, if your computer is connected to Internet. Without it, connection may not be established. This process is used to route network requests to their destination places and look for the whole routing process.

Special info about mprexe.exe:
By our records File mprexe.exe is not harmful to the computer system. But this filename can be used by dangerous spyware and adware programs to mislead the user.
Dedicated 2-files portal advices to scan your computer and terminate all the files and processes that are related to spyware.
download scanner

bungie
05-10-2004, 03:43 PM
you on a different machine now ?

Burley_Boy
05-10-2004, 04:40 PM
Bit low on info regarding operating systems here but depending on if you can boot correctly or not I'd start by booting with your windows (assuming you're in Bill Gates land) computer with the installation disk in the drive. I'm not convinced its a virus but its hard to assess from here. You may just have damaged system files that may get restored if you boot off the CD depending on your system setup.
System restore is cool if you can do it on your system.
Good luck.

I'd also disable the screen saver and consider video card and drivers, a lot of things can have a flow on effect with each other but once again a bit scarce on details so definitely start by restoring the system files either by a system restore or a repair off the install disk.

SCOTTYGC
06-10-2004, 02:44 AM
when mine was playing up i think it was the blaster worm virus
went to the symatic site downloaded the patch and it worked fine

isnt it always the same after your kids use the computer "we didnt do anything it just happend"
scotty

SNELLY
06-10-2004, 05:01 AM
Heath, Scotty, Tezza Burley Boy,

Thanks for your pointers

Using work computer ATM home PC uses win 98 so I'm unable to do the restore

Cheers Snelly

Glug
06-10-2004, 08:32 AM
98 disk should repair damaged system files if I remember right. Just stick disc in go install, pick repair systems and windows does the rest. If it does not pick the disk up you may have to enter BIOS and move CD drive to "first place to look". Hope it works.

Enter BIOS should be shown on start up. "Press Del" or some other key. Try disc first BIOS if it does not work.

old_mate_china
06-10-2004, 09:06 AM
Snelly

You will have to change your login to "Bugman" :-X :-X, oops thats already taken..

Well - That'll teach you to leave the missus and kids at home whilst you fly and troll your way around the NT. ........Its not an accident mate its a F***'in "conspiracy" ;D ;D

When you solve the problem I hope that you post a few pickies of the ones that didnt get away.

Not a helpful response but you wouldnt expect that from everyone anyway .....Would you ??? ::) ::) ::)

SNELLY
06-10-2004, 10:00 AM
Glug, Will I lose anything if I put the windows 98 disk in and do repair files ?

China,

Thanks for the support - I just knew I was going to up against something like this plus the TV had been changed - supposedly by the kids not knowing they were siting on the remote so that was another job for me and I'm not that technical but I cant stand things not as they should be. The Pc situation is a bit beyond me but I'm getting plenty of help from everyone here plus a couple of other mates so I hope I can get this back on the straight and narrow.

Highlight of the trip was sight fishing Threadies on the flats

Cheers SNELLY

Glug
06-10-2004, 07:05 PM
Sorry it is that long since I did it last I am not sure but If I remember right it only repairs damaged files and you don't lose any thing if it works ok. However with Windows 98 any thing can happen especaily if it was upgraded from 95.

I don't have a system here with 98 on or I would try it for you.

subzero
09-10-2004, 04:59 PM
How did you get on with this?

If you had no joy, try this chatroom.
Started up today, and the company that is hosting the site is very good to deal with. Their are some very computer literate people in here only to happy to help out if you still have a problem.
Cheers Lloyd
http://www.buyequip.net/forums/index.php

SNELLY
12-10-2004, 08:12 AM
Just to let you all know I had a friend who knows more about computers than me and she ran Norton Antivirius via DOS and my computer has the Trojan virus

Thanks everyone for all your assistance

Cheers Snelly