PDA

View Full Version : Fitzy cleans up at Awonga barra comp

Nugget
11-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Details are sketchy but have had some SMS messages that suggests the Garry Fitzgerald, David Hodge, Rod Harrison and Jack Erskine fishing as the Penn Pro Fishing Team at the inaugural barra comp at Awonga Dam cleaned up - word is Hodgie & Fitzy both caught metre plus barra to take to top spot.

Congarats to both of them - you'll go a long way to find better anglers.
Garry is tied up with the Kirkleagh Klassic next weekend but hopefully we'll be able to get him into the studio on 4BC's Talking Fishing the following week for a run down - top lure, best time and tactics - should be interesting.

Dave ><>

Brett_Finger
12-10-2004, 02:21 AM
Yep,
it's comfirmed,the boys took out the Comp.
top marks!
Hookin,Brett ;D

agnes_jack
12-10-2004, 04:22 AM
Well done fella's Top effort!

Regards, Tony

Needmorerum
12-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Sh!t, I live here and still can't catch a Barra out of that dam.

JD, looks like we gotta give that a go.

Congrats guys, anyone know what the turn out was like, I didn't even know it was on until a week before.

Corry

Fitzy
12-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Was a good event. Bloody lovely people there, everyone was so helpful to us all, many thanks to Merv, Gary, Linton & the crew.
An ok turnout for the weekend, not bad for a first time effort. Was kind of a pro/am event. A few names invited to fish against some of the gun locals in 7 teams (4/team), we just got lucky I guess.
Conditions weren't the best but everyone got through it ok except my tinny got a 5 inch crack in it from pounding into the waves. Had to bail out early on the Saturday to try to bog it up with silastic/sicaflex.

Had a fun weekend, will be back next year.

Corry, you really should get out there & give Awoonga a go. Some big fish in there & its great fun trying to extract them big girls from the sticks. ;D

Fitzy..

Mad_Barry
13-10-2004, 05:28 AM
Good work Fitzy & boys,

you headin up to Faust Comp ?

mini696
13-10-2004, 09:02 AM
Congratulations. I've fished Awonga a couple of times with no luck yet... That was before the wall was raised and we had that 400mm in 3 days to fill the dam too.

I know that someone from Gladstone hired a plane before the dam filled up (when it was only at 15% capacity) and took photos of Awonga for identifying structure after it had filled. Does anyone have copies of these photos?? I may be able to get some from my own sources... I'll keep you posted if I find any useful ones.

Fitzy
13-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Good work Fitzy & boys,

you headin up to Faust Comp ?
Dicko,
Didnt get an invite this year, limited numbers & I hadnt shown up when invited a couple of times earlier. I just showed up last year to meet up with a few of the boys. Got that 107 that was good fun on the bass gear.
Its a good turnout up there, a credit to the crew who run it.

Fitzy..

Fitzy
13-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Congratulations. #I've fished Awonga a couple of times with no luck yet... That was before the wall was raised and we had that 400mm in 3 days to fill the dam too.

I know that someone from Gladstone hired a plane before the dam filled up (when it was only at 15% capacity) and took photos of Awonga for identifying structure after it had filled. #Does anyone have copies of these photos?? I may be able to get some from my own sources... I'll keep you posted if I find any useful ones.
I hadnt heard about the airial pics. IMHO they wont be life&death important. Most of the barra are in the shallows these days. A stark contrast to pre dam raising when it was trolling the weeds out in the middle, its 50 foot deep there now.
A better tool is the sounder with side-view. Can use it to see the edge structure & fishing hiding in it without running the boat close to the fish. I used my Matrix 97 with it on the weekend, maybe that is what made all the difference.
Would still be interesting to see the pics & overlay my GPS marks on it for comparison.

Here's a pic of the biggest fish for the comp. Hodgies 1 meter, 15.4kg pick eye perch.
http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/gallery/images/117.jpg

Cheers,

fitzy..