PDA

View Full Version : Poll Results. A prediction

kc
10-10-2004, 09:10 AM
Now that voting is underway I though I might share our experiences over the last 2 weeks and tell members and interested onlookers where we are headed.

The Fishing Party, despite the hard work of a few and the membership of many did not get fishos interested enough to man polling booths and this will be our shortcoming.

Very much on the upside however will be the numbers posted from the booths we have been able to man and these will be numbers which will send a very clear message to the Government that they have badly overstepped the mark and they will need to rethink using rec fishers as a convenient scapegoat as they pander to the greens.

Booths which are manned, will, I think, post numbers as high as 10 & 12% in some areas....more than enough to have won a seante seat if we had manned enough booths.

At the end of the day we will consider 30,000 votes a major achievement for a fledgling party only 6 months old...anything over that would be stunning and much less, personally dissapointing, particularly for those who actually put in the hard yards and manned booths on polling day.

I believe, come counting time tonight, The Fishing Party (Qld) will suddenly have the ear of Government and when the facts are presented about the percentage returns from manned booths Recreational Fishers across the state will be able to sleep a bit easier knowing we now have some real clout and that I Fish & I Vote is more than just a bumper sticker.

We have been so busy and running this on a shoestring compared to the vote I think we are going to get. It has been the tackle trade, the boating industry and the supportive fishing press helping drive this as well as supportive chat pages like this one, that has really been our only method of getting the message out and I really need to thank NQ Fish & Boat, QFM and Modern Fishing as well as Nugget and Arthur and his crew on the 4KG1 fishing show for their help.

We have had a big go but been let down a bit by backslappers who would not help and genuine people who could not help, on polling day.....but we had a decent go anyway.

I my guess is wrong and we crash and burn at the ballot box then the clear mesage is that rec fishers are satisfied with the current management regimes and lobby group situation (Sunfish)........and TFPQ should just pull its head in and bugger off..me included (maybe has a silver lining because I can actually find time to go fishing again).

Anyhow guys, a wild ride which is only a few hours away from coming to an end....or maybe just the beginning of a new era in rec fishing recognition.

Cheers all and thats for the ride!!

KC

Gorilla_in_Manila
10-10-2004, 09:29 AM
KC,
Been wondering something thoughout all this, did you secure support from Recfish, Sunfish, ANSA, Sportfish etc etc or do they have their own agenda?
You certainly will be pushing shit up hill with a sharp stick if a large percentage of the established and funded fishing voter base has been intructed to do otherwise than support TFPQ. :-/
Cheers
Jeff

Lucky_Phill
10-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Well Kev, it was a nice day to be out and about with the ' voters'.

Manning the booths was not such a bad experience, and in fact, quite enjoyed the day. Bantered with the other Party hopefuls, Voters and onlookers.

It was something that I never expected, when, handing out the ' how to vote cards', people would lokk at me and say " really, a fishing party". And the grin on their face said it all, but, with a serious look, and a polite comeback, I made a point and confirmed that we are serious and The Fishing Party IS a politicial party.

I did have numerous enquiries as to what we are about, and in fact had several people asking for the cards, so they have heard of us prior to election day. Even had the experience of voters returning from the Booths, and saying that' yes I voted for you ".

AND THAT, was a great feeling, knowing that I may have influenced, or the Card may have influenced a' swinging' voter, to try someone different, or just plain offer support.

Certainly was an eye-opener, to see the budget of the major parties. By me reckoning, the Libs and Labs spent upwards of $500 each at the booths in my area. Also that Family First party had a strong showing , with 4 ( what do you call the folk that hand out the cards ? ) ' touters', and they were working in shifts.

Anyway, the whole experince was good for me, thanks for the opportunity. And thanks to Rob for spending some time with me and then taking over from me in the afternoon.

Cheers Phill

Heath
10-10-2004, 12:19 PM
I think you are going to be surprised at the numbers. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I heard people talking on the way into vote about the fishing party & on the way out passed some more people on their way in, about the fishing party.

People read fishing magazines & with some advertisment in the magazines people take heed.

mackmauler
10-10-2004, 12:39 PM
got my vote and a few others ;D

Maria
10-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Agree. I think you'll be surprised with the numbers. I overheard quite a few people talking about the fishing party at my electorate.

Ben

kc
10-10-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks guys and who knows...Phil, we have not met but ,,thanks mate! I have never handed out HTV cards in my life and I enjoyed the experience too...ask the question of any voter...Are you a fisherman/fishing family and straight away they got interested.

Feedback out of Cairns is mindblowing!!

We are going to surprise a lot of people and it has all been done on a wing and a prayer...no big budgets, just committed fishos.

If the feedback out of Cairns is any indication....we are in for an interesting night.

& Gorilla I have to say I am pretty dissapointed at the Sunfish/Recfish reaction to us. Give me a call some time and I'll tell you all about it. 0414 785 462 I don't really want to use this forum as a soapbox for in house issues (just to kick the government/greens & democrats...oh yeh...left out Labor as well!

Regards

KC

dfox
10-10-2004, 01:04 PM
I think phil nailed it when he said people were surprised to here there "was" a fishing party, id like to have seen more public awareness earlier then what transpired this election, no mater the out come i believe next election may be the real opertunity lets see the pros and rec organizations combine into a force!...foxy

kevy
10-10-2004, 01:08 PM
talked to a guy at the polling booth, never heard of the fishing party, so with a few words of wisdom, swayed him for a vote. funny thing he fishes the the passage regularly. i hope it,s not too late to soon. all the best kevy.

bugman
10-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Kevin hope your about later tonight for a late post it will be good for a chat and your thoughts as the count progress.

I would have thought somewhere around the 1.5% of the primary vote would probably be on the money and possibly the best result that could be attained.

If you get more than that then certainly there will be people taking some notice.

Good Luck 30 mins to counting.

Bugman

MY-TopEnder
10-10-2004, 01:53 PM
First time i've ever handed out HTV cards as well and i must say it was quite fun to get out there and just meet people and introduce them to the fact that YES there is a fishing party and we're not one of these comical parties that have a go for a laugh.

I helped Phil out for a few hours then took the reigns later in the arvo.

I had several people say to me "shit a fishing party.. you'll get my vote". That was a great feeling... and of course there is the other side of the coin where people were happy to laugh and give you a bit of a dig but all you can do is smile and wish them a happy day.

All in all i had a great day and i think you might be suprised by the numbers.

bugman
10-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Tas results show bad signs for Labor in the Lower House. Too early for Senate.

Bugman

bugman
10-10-2004, 03:32 PM
It's all over in the Lower House at about 7:15pm. Howard Govt returned with bigger majority.

Qld senate not looking too good for FiShing Party.

Brett

MY-TopEnder
10-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Have you got inside information Brett?

bugman
10-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Live Queensland Senate results here:

http://www.abc.net.au/elections/federal/2004/results/sqld.htm

bugman
10-10-2004, 04:12 PM
Coastal booths are starting to come through for the Qld Senate. Fishing Party picking up nicely - well over 2% and ahead of Democrats on primaries - if the trend continues they'll have to take notice.

Kevin's still probably gunna need another job however :-/

Bugman

bugman
10-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Metro booths are hurting the Fishing Party - primary is sliding in percentage terms. Overtaken by Dems and probably only likely to trend down from here on.

I think my first prediction of around 1.5% is looking pretty good - the final result may be just short of that.

Not bad given limited funds and a single issue party.

For those interested looks like Libs 2, Labor 2, Nats 1 and probably the Greens on prefs for the last position in the Qld Senate.

Bugman

MY-TopEnder
10-10-2004, 06:04 PM
Well we've cracked the 10k mark at 1.39%....

If nothing else comes of it, it'll get em thinking.

jaybee
10-10-2004, 06:16 PM
Like Phil i had a good day out with the voters as well, thanks Phil and Rob for your help in this area. I found the whole experience totally enjoyable, as i was able to hand out bumper stickers, which, when the major parties saw, come and ask for one. Also the Family Party, on a roster of 4, also offered to hand out our htv cards, in exchange for bumper stickers,thanks guys. Had heaps of enquiries into the party and some postive feed back from voters. thanks for the opportunity, KC, and nice to meet you, hope we can meet up again soon. Just checked the stats at 1.4 pc. you have given the a wake up.
cheers
Joe.

gif
10-10-2004, 06:55 PM
Bugman

yes but where do you get booth data? Like you said above " coastals"

eg Has Cairns and Weipa been counted ?

bugman
10-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Gary,

Not specific mate - only based on time of night and info from scrutinieers. It is possible to get each booth but I only get the trend info.

Small country are always first, followed by small coastal - in QLD case usually further north. Less votes per ballot box means it's counted quicker and the results come in faster.

Metros are always later in the night - hence the late surge of Dems and greens and slight decline of the fishing Party.

If I was a Democrat staffer - I'd be looking at where my next pay cheque is coming from - at just 1.2% nationally it's now up to the indescrestion of the Govt to maintain funding.

Family First nearly got there - how scary would that be - Asembly of God with federal funding.

Kevin - hope to hear from you soon on the experience that is the political ride. Interested to see whether you'll continue to keep the party "running as live" between now and the next election. I guess it's a matter of money.

Just 3 years to go for all of us.

Bugman

gif
10-10-2004, 07:25 PM
I hope Kevin wont mind me saying - he is semi – off line tonight. He has collected two awards at an industry night tonight.

Busy time for him but he is staying in touch by SMS.

nhoj
10-10-2004, 07:30 PM
KC and The Fishing Party.

Irrespective of the outcome I would like to thank you people for all your effort. For once, it provided me with the oportunity to be able to put a one in a box I cared something about and hopefully it will open up some eyes for the future.
John.

Volvo
10-10-2004, 07:33 PM
:)if a lot of us become members or contribute maybe the party will stay alive

Zeeke
10-10-2004, 07:34 PM
Last count so far its 22,021 votes for Fishing Party.. not bad.. not bad at all my young padiwan

Tim

Zeeke
10-10-2004, 07:35 PM
make that 22, 861 now

Zeeke
10-10-2004, 07:54 PM

el_carpo
10-10-2004, 09:12 PM
You did well! You now have the attention of the major parties as well as the general population of Australia. 30,000 votes is quite a prize. Even if you decide not to run again, you still hold power. 30,000 votes for either party to go after will allow you to make demands. "You wash our backs and we'll wash yours." Here in the U.S., we have the NRA (National Rifle Association). It consists of folks who got together to stand up and defend their rights to keep and bear arms as spelled out in the constitution (though it's still illegal in Chicago somehow>:(). There are millions of members and they are very active voters and campaigners. The parties have to listen and try for their vote. The fishing party may not be a viable political party, but it sure is a presence on the political scene thanks to the hard work of you guys. Be very proud of yourselves, and remember, you don't have to BE the giant if you can CONTROL the giant.

Congratulations and good luck with future endeavors! :)

E.C.

kc
11-10-2004, 02:48 AM
Back on line & nursing a sore head after a tourism awards night (I already have another job bugman... so don't despare).

Like I said right at the start and long before counting started 30,000 was going to be a meassure of success and with 25% of the vote to go we will get pretty close to that. Once we get a booth by booth and can look at the numbers we returned from manned booths it will be really interesting.

Certainly some interesting numbers posted and amongst the minor parties we seem to have polled very well.

Look forward to seeing what the day brings and the next few weeks in the wash-up.

Thanks all

KC

searaider
11-10-2004, 08:57 AM
Onya KC ,
I think that the party did pretty well , when you look at some of the obsticles put in the way .
*If some of the other posts are correct , it looks like the media when discussing the candidates for the Senate mentioned everyone except the Fishing Party mmmmmmmmmmmmm . >:(
*Not enough people to hand out how to vote forms at the booths . ( Hopefully the party will still be about at the next election , is so ill make sure I'm available to hand out some forms ).
*The Party may NOT have been around long enough for a lot of fishermen to know it existed .( In the last few weeks leadind up to the Election , I was pushing the Party to every fisherman that I know . I'd say that 95% of them hadn't heard of it )?
It would be interesting how the Party polled in the various electerats throught Queensland .
I was watching the Senate results on the AEC web site last night , they were something like 10,000 votes at 10PM with 60% counted & then jumped up to finish at 23,000 at Mid Night with 76% counted .

Party Member
Peter
Searaider 2

kc
11-10-2004, 08:59 AM
Now that some booth numbers are starting to come in some pretty amazing results are being posted.

In booths where we had booth workers handing out cards and talking to people we have polled amazingly well. Examples of small coastal booths with booth workers Like Arlingham and Conway Beach have TFPQ at 19% of primary vote. Larger booths in the Whitsundays with a few thousand voters which we manned have us running at 8 to 10%.

Still getting some numbers in from further North where we were able to get people to give up some time and stand up for the cause will be posted as we get them but any thought that the total vote was a dud is countered by what we achieved when we had people on the ground....we could have achieved anything!!

Anyhow, no point sooking about...could have, its over now and we will get our collective S$#@ together over the next couple of weeks and rethink where we go from here...be very sure however that we will be making the Government aware of our manned booth results. The 10% we averaged across manned booths in Dawson would have easily determined who won the House of Reps seat.

KC

agnes_jack
11-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Good on ya Kev!
I think that all factors considered, that it has been a reasonable show of hands.
If only the publicity could have started earlier, who knows what may have been achieved!

Go the fishing party!!!!!!! Thanks, Tony :D

kc
11-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Hi Tony,

as we are getting even more numbers, Like in Dawson..with 6664 votes cast at polling booths we manned we returned 9.22% and the only booth manned on Cape York with 1000 votes counted we polled 20.62%.....this could have been anything with more time and more importantly more resources. This was always the problem. We spend the last 5 months trying to get enough members of the party to move forward (with a few $$) and never quite got there.

There are (apparently) 400,000 fishing voters out there. What do we need to do to get them involved and interested enough to sign up?? I would really appreciate some feedback from all on this, particularly those who have not joined...why?? What do we need to do differently to become more attractive to members? We really need to get 20,000 members and then we can really make a point in the future..1200 and the money they bring just does not cut it.

Most of the actual campaign funds are coming out of individuals pockets and while the process was worth the effort and cost to make a point this time around, next time we will need the membership & money in the bank if we are going to go again.

Regards

KC

reelcrazy
11-10-2004, 10:54 AM
Well Kev

A heartiest congratulations for what you have achieved, awareness is everything, and while you've got outstanding numbers, the wherewithal is something else, it takes time to get the message across.

What you do from here is up to yourself, there another 4 years to build from here, but it must be heartening, and as I suggested in my last post with you, it's grassroots campaigning from here, numbers,, nuumbers, numbers, get the attention.

The senate seats are there, you've admitted that where there was a presence there was a vote, so your only failing was you came late to the campaign, and that while the feet on the ground were slim, in those areas represented, there were good votes.

That must say something to you, you've started a grass roots movement, do you have the wherewithal to carry on?

jaybee
11-10-2004, 11:16 AM
Kev
You should be getting some more applications in the next day or two, according to my flatmate, as her workmates said they will be joining, in the hope frazer isnt closed to their fishing, on that note, one guy yesterday said "i only fish once a year at fraser my response was read the left side of the how to vote card, his response was "you have got to be expletive joking i will vote for you so more advertising and lots of noise. And some new stickers to carry around and hand out, maybe. Now is probably a time to start the momentum, and the noise, for the next 3 yrs.
cheers
Joe.

gif
11-10-2004, 11:53 AM
I notice a few comments about advertising: saying TFP # needed #earlier and lots #more advertising.

While I agree that would #be ideal it seems some are not aware of costs and budgets.

Guess how much it costs to put an add in the Courier Mail? #Lets say the size of a DL #or business envelope? # And how many would you want #to get the effect you want? #Lets say 1 a day for 3 weeks? # Maybe more? #go on # take a guess #How much would a small add for 3 weeks cost?

Well I did read that the Liberals had a budget of $20 million.

The whole issue is chicken and egg. #you have to get well known before people #will join you. # Weird but true - its the same for football club memberships.

Its also true of the media # They just concentrate on a few so it is difficult to get their attention. # ( Not even Pauline Hansen got their attention after the first days)

As with most things #- like #raising money for schools etc etc - its a few people who do all the work for so many.

Gary

PS # #One small advert #a day for 3 weeks would cost more than $50,000, more for colour, certain pages and Saturdays. # #What did you guess? # Now can you guess why you did not see lots of Fishing Party advertising? ;)

MY-TopEnder
11-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Hey Gary,

Are you the "star" of one of the fishing party posters?

P.S. I'd have said $75,000 for that ad in the courier mail.

jaybee
11-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Gary
you are right there, its okay for us to talk when we don't know the facts ($$$ for advertising) however, there has to be a way somewhere, how did one nation kick off? mmmm. Can we hold raffles at the local fishing club / hotel? Another thing is how much will it cost to reach out to fishing clubs and professionials from Brisbane to Cairns? How much can the NSW and VIC party get behind the QLD party, wouldnt that benefit them if they can?
cheers
Joe.

ba229
11-10-2004, 01:56 PM
good point about the nsw and vic parties joining forces with Qld.

My question is... is the fishing party a national organisation or is it a state by state thing?

jocool
11-10-2004, 02:38 PM
How much can the NSW and VIC party get behind the QLD party, wouldnt that benefit them if they can?
cheers
Joe.

Hi guys....I dont post on here often, and to you guys I'm just a "blow-in"! :-/

My name is Joe Chidiac. I put myself up as a candidate for The Fishing Party in the Greenway electorate, which is Blacktown on the western outskirts of Sydney.

My campaign was entirely self funded through my own pocket and throught the graciousness of some terrific guys on another forum.

The idea of joining forces...and funds...is great...If there were any funds to join!!!

As far as what KC has rightly pointed out, help on the day is basically what is going to make a difference. I had a few guys helping me, and they got the figures at the booths that were manned. And a top effort they all do too I may add!

And BA...as to your question if we are a national party...Yes we are! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

NQCairns
11-10-2004, 03:49 PM
I think it was just stunning, up to 20% at some booths that is mind blowing stuff!!!.

I have yet to join personally although there is still two filled out applications filed near my desk, has been for 5+ months, I have talked a few into joining and voting.
The common theme in my few attempts of informing people of the fishing party was that they had not heard of it virtually right up to the election!!
The reason I had not joined earlier was because I really didn't want to be party to a cause that was going to self destruct at the first sign of trouble and infighting. I have a huge distrust of organisations especially one's that deal with my most passionate past-time.
Sunfish looked good for a while then I heard of all the trouble and powerstruggles, Vrfish is just a joke by all accounts.
KC pulled me up with a few comments refering to the disbanding etc if things did not go 'right'.

KC what is the state of play for the future? Will this fall apart withinin the next couple of years, are you still enthusiastic/strong enough to keep it together come what may and within reason.
I have read heaps of your posts and saw you talk in Cairns, I am impressed by your great grassroots abilities.
KC if you believe the fishing party will be around for the next state election? and even the next federal one, I will send my application for membership as soon as possible.

PS If this party is the real deal, I want a Fishing party flag (for the VHF aerial), a beanie, a cap, 7 T shirts (dif colour for each day) also kids sizes, a couple of polo tops, keychain, vinal boat stickers, stubbie cooler, thats a start anyway, we will be your best advertising over the next few years and we will pay/purchase to do it. You will not need mostly manned booths to keep the numbers up, every second or third ute/boat/worker/BBQ could have some party advertising and party small talk going on ;D. Cheers nq

PSS is it legal for political partys to sell merchandise?

jaybee
11-10-2004, 04:03 PM
On another note: Last night while watching howards speech, i was sick, (sic) a reporter said " with so many hidden agendas and loss of parties in the senate, howard will be quick to push through what the senate has blocked for years" well i bought some medication today (every fortnight) it was $4 dearer this morning, when i asked the chemist he replied "we already had the new prices depending on the election" so in twelve months, my medication has gone from $14.40 to $64 a month, wish my wage and pension matched it. I was just told just now, howard is already on about selling telstra, and the loss of free eye and dental for pensioners at hospitals, gee we are going to be like america, cant pay, then die. Not to mention what is going to happen on the fishing scene
a not so cheery cheers
Joe.

Jeremy
11-10-2004, 04:07 PM
I think there should be a colour poster (A4 size or bigger) at every single fishing tackle store in Queensland. Surely the owners would support such a poster on their door, and maybe people can then take away a little brochure with a bit more detailed onfo on it.

Also a letter to all the fishing clubs. I think club members are the most likely to support the fishing party by joining.

I congratulate you KC on the effort you put in and also all the people who were able to assist you.

I really hope you keep the party going. I am sure the support will grow and we can make a difference.

Jeremy Arnold

kc
11-10-2004, 05:52 PM
HI all & interesting feedback already. I just had a barbie & few quite beers with local booth workers who are rightly pretty chuffed with what they did in Dawson and at the same time a bit flat about overall results.

To answer a few questions.

Will we keep going?

Bloody oath! A lot of people have paid money for 3 years membership & we feel obliged and encouraged enough to keep going..............that said, if the current crop of pollies GET THE BLOODY MESSAGE we might not need to stand again........the NRA does not stand candidates...just has an effective voting block if either side of the fence pisses them off!!

I've been driven,outspoken pain in the arse all my life & my only sport has and will always be fishing...I certainly will never be a fence sitter and now I have an ongoing mission so NQ..expect your cheque in the mail!!

Now we have posted some real numbers those that live off "our" money in the rec fishing area can expect a knock on the door after Christmas. The boating and tackle industry will need to kick the can because ultimately, we are doing this for them and with a few exceptions they are getting a free ride....no more! On that point if your in NQ & buying gear use Bills Marine & Erskines tackle & if your buying a boat, make your dealers aware that Quintrex finacially supported the Fishing Party.

Merchandise is already something I have heard twice tonight so it is clearly worth looking into. We really don't want to be a business but if this is part of a package to raise funds and sell the mesage then we will look at it.

Cheers all, I'm rooted & having an early night.

KC

baldyhead
11-10-2004, 05:53 PM
My better half and I arrived @ 7.AM and left @ 6.PM. After donning our bright yellow embossed T shirts and setting up our placards we got to know our opposition party hand outers,ALP,LIBS,ONE NATION,GREENS,FAMILY FIRST and Sackely 4 IND What a great bunch of people! We all had a ball with good humored banter and helping one another, sharing drinks and watermelon etc and as well as copping some abuse from some of the voters.
U know I thought that I had heard just about every excuse under the sun till this day...BOY was I mistaken....
This was the first time that we have ever done this type of thing and we reckon that we have met every kind of person around from the delightful old lady to the most arrogant miserable bastard god ever put breath into.
The most common remark was ??? FISHING PARTY???? never heard of em!!!! So what a challenge ...to tell them who we are and why we have had to get organized.
It was a lot of fun and we will look forward to being there in another few years...but next time we will be much more aware and organized and the general public won't have to ask who we are.
Cheers Paddy & Mauzy

kc
11-10-2004, 06:05 PM
Good comments Paddy & the unanomous feedback from everyone who manned a booth was that it was just a good fun, social day out...just like you described. Nothing to be scared of and nothing sinister. I manned a booth down here and got to talk to heaps of people...just by asking..are you a fishermen mate? to everyone walking in. There are lots and lots and lots of us out there.

KC...and I'm still going to bloody bed

lordy
11-10-2004, 06:12 PM
You did well! You now have the attention of the major parties as well as the general population of Australia. 30,000 votes is quite a prize. Even if you decide not to run again, you still hold power. 30,000 votes for either party to go after will allow you to make demands. "You wash our backs and we'll wash yours." Here in the U.S., we have the NRA (National Rifle Association). It consists of folks who got together to stand up and defend their rights to keep and bear arms as spelled out in the constitution (though it's still illegal in Chicago somehow>:().
E.C.

The Second Amendment
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Its always interesting the NRA neglect to mention important parts of the 2nd amendment.

Anyway, point remains you don't need to control the government, just control the swinging vote in one or two seats and a the major political parties will listen.

el_carpo
11-10-2004, 09:04 PM
http://www.saf.org/pub/rkba/general/FoundersQuotes.htm

Those who wrote the constitution were pretty clear about how they felt about it. At the time, the militia WAS the people.

I'm not going to go on a whole different tangent again though (I do that too often), so this is all I'll say about this.

My point about political influence was the purpose of my post, which we agree on, I think.

Volvo
11-10-2004, 11:49 PM
:)Maybe a tad early in the wee hours of the morning KC but have you thought of maybe getting a monthly write up in Bush N Beach n Qld Fishing Monthly..
Maybe do a write up informing readers what the Fishing party is all about..How it come about and its future aims or goals..
Know i got on the bandwagon a tad late but i did have quite a few people wanting to know the history of the FP along with info i couldnt or didnt fully know as i was dishin out the stickers etc..
One would think bein a Fishing magazine the above would only be too willing to give the column for the benefit of its readers ..
Along with that, some written history for futur memberships and donators of the party for the purpose of passing on the word more or less :)..
The best publicity and at the lowest cost may yet be via word n mouth, The purchasing of T-Shirts, Caps n larger Boat stickers as someone earlier mentioned..
May take time but at least the word will get out there somewhat easier??..
Cheers

Touchy - R.I.P.
12-10-2004, 05:08 AM
I will endorse nqcairns comments along with everyones congratulations on the effort,Onward & Upward,Should be an interesting next three years! & I hope the party can use this election & the experiece gained as a springboard on which to build(as I'm sure they will),One thought,comes to mind as to voters/fisho's awareness,What about the big boat shows we have here each year both in Brissie & the Sanctaury Cove one,(not to mention any others in N/Qld ect.),Would this not be an ideal platform/s for reaching like minded people?. Sorry just a early Monday morning brain explosion :o ::)back in ya' shell n shutup Touchy.Cheers.><>.

kc
12-10-2004, 05:18 AM
Hi Volvo,

We did have full page adds and write-ups in NQ Fish & Boat, QFM and Bush and Beach, as well as big mentions in Modern Fishing. Trouble is the majority of fisho just don't buy these magazines. Most of which have print runs of only 20,000 and there are 800,000 rec fishers in Qld alone.

It is a long process which kind of starts now and at the end of the day 3 years might be just enough time to get the message out.

It needs grass roots support, it needs the fishing clubs involved and it needs a decent membership base. If every member actively recruited 5 people and those 5 people recruited 5 more each we would have 25,000 members, $100,000 in the bank and anything would be possible.

Be the first to get on board. If you want to form a Bribie branch of TFPQ I would give you all the help I can and even fly down for your formation AGM.......or anyone elses for that matter. It will be branches in coastal towns right up the entire coast of Qld which will give us the profile and booth workers we need to take this forward...balls in your court.

REgards

KC

cooky
12-10-2004, 05:59 AM
I voted for the Fishing Party.

It's important that you REALLY do your thinking about MARKETING early on (now). Like any business, marketing is about the 'perception' your brand has in the marketplace.

The Fishing Party needs to balance the name with a highly professional image in my opinion to achieve BALANCE. Fishing unfortunately in the general public has a 'redneck or similar' sort of feel to it as a name.

Average citizen could think that 'FISHING party' is a joke - a piss take on the political system (many examples in the past and present). They would seriously have a difficult time understanding.

The best way to achieve balance is to combine the name "Fishing Party" with very professional branding. This makes people take notice and ASK "what is this Fishing Party about?" instead of just passing through the brain without any HOOK.

A large majority of people with boats do some rec fishing and we're talking about people with serious money here guys - how many boats over $50,000 are there floating around or in people's garages? How many over $250,000? = heaps. What does this mean? most of these people didn't inherit their money - they earnt it.... this generally means they're business savvy or lucky (or both). What a great source of advice and contacts (+ financial backing) if you can get them keen (branding) enough to assist. You need to tie in closely with boating...

I've got to get back to earning money myself, but would be interested in discussing this further on either this post or privately.

I had a quick look on the web and found some dismal information on the Sunfish Qld site. I own a web design company and would consider doing a site and possibly some design work for free - I need to know a little more about the party, but if you guys look like doing good stuff then I'm interested.

I want to make sure our leisure time is looked after now and in the future.

Daintreeboy
12-10-2004, 06:18 AM
A change of plans late in the week saw me not being in Cairns so I never called Wayne from Mitchells about manning the Carovonica booth, sorry about that guys. Early days though and I think next election will give very good results.
Cheers, Mark.

where_is_dave
12-10-2004, 07:18 AM
Was chatting to some people the night before who were whinging about not having anyone/thing decent to vote for and I mentione TFP they thought I was taking the mickey. After we discussed some of the issues and what TFP wanted to achieve (according to my very ltd knowledge) I think they were swung.
The realistic, commonense, balanced approach is what works - once the people see that TFP is not a joke or radical and that they have a plan to make things better your aims of having real influence in govt are very achievable.
Word of mouth, presence at the boat shows etc - even if it was a half hour presentation i feel it grow in momentum quite well.
We don't want to see big flashy banners around the place we need to see real people committed to real issues and going about it in a dedicated way.
Keep up the good work, it's a solid early start and with people like KC and co. at the helm and more support from the apathetic majority of us it can only grow from here.
I fish, I voted and it did count.

Doomy
12-10-2004, 11:13 AM
Me and my girl voted for TFP.
I was always going to being a member and she didn't really like any of the others and throws a line in with me so thought why not.

That could be a big vote the undecided/dont like lib/labour but fish occasionally. As already stated would require far more money to advestise on TV or some other blanket medium.

Keep up the good work Kev it was a good result I feel considering mainly the hardcore fisho knew about it.

cooky
12-10-2004, 11:14 AM
yes I must apologise KC. Can completely understand. I honestly new almost nothing ???about the Fishing Party until a few days before Saturday where I read some posts.

I put a big number 1 in the box on Saturday.

I;m too used to no sleep (new born baby) right now. I am very interested in helping, but would have to be clear about time restraints - I run 2 businesses and with 2 kids under 18months - I haven't scratched my balls for months :o.

I just bought my first boat 3 weeks ago ;) so any spare time is spent trying to get out or go fishing at present.

I guess I'm a good candidate to assist as I have never been a totally committed fisherman (haven't gone fishing until 2 weeks ago for about 2 yrs +). I enjoy it and moreso now with boat (becoming very keen) :D. Therefore I somewhat understand the average citizens perspective. :-/

But I am very passionate about us losing our rights and ability to enjoy our country responsibly >:( - I'm sick of losing access - 4x4, motorbikes, boats, camping, fishing - because of a very small minority. This whole friggin country seems to be run by the minority groups (squeeky wheels) while the majority sit by and watch it happen. >:(

It's time to get squeeky!!! ;D

kc
12-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Thanks Cooky & be good to have you on board...we don't have a web design man on the "team" yet so your it!!

I know Gary has send you some stuff which would be the forerunner to a web site. Might even be able to set up a system of selling TFPQ merchandise on line. We got some great ideas for t-shirts last night over a few beers with the booth workers from down here...the more beers we had the better?? the ideas got for t-shirt slogans..hmmmm!

I Fish & I'm sick of taking it up the $#$@^ was one I seem to remember at about beer number 403..........don't think!!

Anyhow mate, I have 3 businesses and 3 kids so stop Ya whinging............one of the joys of your life will be taking your kids fishing in a few years time..if we are still allowed.

Thanks again for your offer to help. I think now that we have actually made it though an election and proved we can get a decent number of votes we will get a lot more members and hopefully some corporate backing & if we stand as well funded and well organised next time the majors will be falling over themselves in the rush to get our preferences. THEN we can do some deals!

Regards

KC

BigE
12-10-2004, 12:15 PM
:) to everyone invovled in TFP... thanks for giving me something to vote for , sorry U guys(gals as the case may b) didn't get up. but considering the lack of organization/funding/advertising i think U (we) did very well, i hope U don't get dissapointed and give up as i look forward to voteing 4 TFP next election. perhaps a 3yr membership drive will improve the primary vote 4 next time(remeber i'm no expert) some idea of things TFP may target or vision/mission statement may help as well. many many thanks again TFP member405

cooky
12-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Deal - I'll help as much as I can.

What about

Fish stink - so does GBRMPA
[list]

anyway - easy way to generate slogans - put a post up here - you'll have plenty in a short time.

kevy
12-10-2004, 12:59 PM
yo kc. i missed the membership costs. how much? when from? where to? not a bad result, considering. lets know, all the best, kevy. :) :) :)

kc
12-10-2004, 01:55 PM
$22 for 3 years....what we really need is organisers who want to form branches throughout the state......this is what will take us forward, not just more money but committed fishos.

You need to meet once every 3 or 4 months or so and work up ways to get locals interested and knowledgable about "us" and what we stand for. In the year or so before an election you need to meet monthly and really get profile, local issues, direct policy ...just like a real political party....yes, that's what we are now with 30,000 people voting for us.

So come on Kevy, pommies make great shop stewards..how about it??

Cheers mate

KC

redspeckle
13-10-2004, 02:06 PM
can you lets us known what was the final vote's for the senate for the fishing party keen to find out see if we some of other new comers party's & individual's

Gorilla_in_Manila
13-10-2004, 02:26 PM
redspeckle,
Have a look here;
http://www.abc.net.au/elections/federal/2004/results/sendQLD.htm
Cheers
Jeff

PinHead
13-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Just bear in mind..the new Senators do not take up their positions until July next year...with half Senate elections the Senators' term does not end until July the following year. This will mean that the Libs will not have control of the Senate until that time.

NQCairns
13-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Good info Pinhead thanks for that. Looks like the grand total for TFP is..........43742, far from a smack in the teeth ;D

kc
14-10-2004, 12:36 AM
HI all,

If you go back & read the first post that started this thread, which was posted at 1pm on polling day....it may just be we have a crystal ball.
Our impact has changed to course of the governments control in the senate and we will now be sending a very big message to the state government, based on some individual polling booth results.

The power of the vote is remarkable when you actually vote for change.

Regards

KC

Gazza
15-10-2004, 06:31 AM
Keep swinging mate [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] .....you'll have a couple of buderim (absentee?) votes to still be counted ;)

Noticed a blue 4x4 with a FP sticker in the carpark as well [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Regards
Gazza