PDA

View Full Version : Downrigger Advice

redspeckle
14-10-2004, 03:52 PM
In Bush Beach issue March 2004 by author Brian Webb (webby) on building home made downriggers.
I am in the process of making one, having trouble purchasing the 60m of seahorse wi6re or equivalent to it & canon reslease clips been to tackle store's like Captain Bligh & Tackle Warhouse, only sell wire in ten metre lenghts , webby can you help me were did you get your stuff from and how much & thanks million if reply

Burley_Boy
14-10-2004, 04:58 PM
Saw an interesting gadget at the tackle shop on the weekend. It was an electronic line counter that measured the amount of line that went out (in a cast I believe...)
$40 to have a gadget tell you how far your downrigger is out...pretty cool in the homemade gadget box if you ask me. ;)

Dug
14-10-2004, 05:54 PM
I built one in Rockhampton years ago. An Alvey reel loaded with multi strand wire, but I needed a weight. In the dump shop was a set of old barbells, so I cut the weights off the ends of them perfect! 4 good downrigger weights to share with mates for $2. A few months later in an antique store in Brisbane I saw a pair of antique barbells exactly the same as the ones I paid $2 and cut up, on sale for $1,200. I was not happy I'm still not :'( :'( :'( :'(

kevy
15-10-2004, 01:33 PM
yo redspeckle,, you don't really need wire. try 200lb mono. use blacks clips as release with elastic bands. as far as weight goes use whatever is availaBLE. A LEAD BALL IS GOOD ENOUGH. WORK IT OUT THE SAME AS OUTRIGGERS. ALL THE BEST, KEVY. :)

webby
15-10-2004, 02:25 PM
Hi Mate only just read your post.
The Cannon Outlets on the sth side are s/wood, and budds, but the only trubs they usualy dont have them in stock.
Your best place is Doug Burts down the coast, just give Doug a call 55320679, he the only one i no that also carries rolls of different strentgh wire, so you can buy what you need in one length.
The best cannon clips are the Uni Stackers, as you get two for just over the price of one, then all you do is cut the rig off them as there connected in tandam, for running two lines.
Just re wire the clips using crimps, and put a 100lb or more Black ball bearing coastlock on to connect to the bomb or if your have another connection point up the wire. I have one on my bombs and one about 1m up the wire, so you can run two lines at once, one short and one long.
Oh buy the way, the knob handle i had in that drawing, i have changed to a 4" long handle, i found it easier to rewind with, especially when in a hurry sometimes ;D
There not the flashes d.r. but they work, and i have two on my rig, but once you get used to them, you'll out fish the boat next two you.
regards

webby
15-10-2004, 02:27 PM
dont no if this was in the mag