PDA

View Full Version : Beefing Up a Trinidad Drag

ssbayguide
15-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Hello All

I am lucky enough to own a Trinidad 40 and in discussions with quite a few jigging fans, I have been told that it is pretty hard to squeeze more than 7kg of drag out of these reels.

I have fished 10kg of drag on other reels and I am almost certain that at least some of the people who have commented on the Trinidad drag would not have done similar.

I have heard talk of Erksine upgrades etc. but would appreciate any genuine comments based on informed experience.

To be honest, I find that a glove, a harness and 100kg of bodyweight has been enough to stop most fish (ones that you want to land anyway)

Steve_Ooi
15-10-2004, 03:36 PM
I'd reccommend a new Cal's upgrade drag plate washer for the torium/trindads , and you could even go with the extreme smooth drag washers as well.
Just installed some for a customer and he was over the moon by the peformance on his torium compared to previousily while jigging.
The new top drag plate is thicker, and lapped dead flat , so it doesn't flex.
We managed to bottom out the scales at 13 kg plus of drag in a straight line. Put that over a bend rod and you can expect get a good work out.

Contact Jack Erskine , and he'll be able to fix you up with your needs.

Steve Ooi

banshee
15-10-2004, 04:06 PM
According to Shimano the new TN40N will pull 16 kgs of drag,they also told me that these drags will swap over into the corresponding models in the standard range of Trinidads,might be worth checking out.

ssbayguide
16-10-2004, 04:10 AM
Hi Guys

Many thanks - will check out the smoothies and Cals plates. Of course, I'm also tempted by the specs on the 40 narrow.....