PDA

View Full Version : What's this weather doing?

bignick
15-10-2004, 09:20 PM
What is the go with this weather? After a good dose of summer rain and some wild storms, all looked good for winter with a possibility of things the way they used to be. We all looked forward to those cold, still, clear nights and the still, sometimes overcast days; what happened. Yes, we did get a little bit of that, but, on the whole, the days were a very pleasant 22-26 degrees. I think that this is far too warm and it is shown by the fact that a lot of dams were drying up quickly with the water that fell in summer being rapidly evaporated by the warm temperatures coupled with the lack of rainfall during winter. Everything is so dry and, with these rotten Northerly winds, the bushfires take hold super-fast. A lot of people hit the panic button with the big storms of last summer, but, they are forgetting that this is the way it is supposed to be; hot,, sticky days with an afternoon storm and, sometimes, almost monsoonal rain. I heard today that this summer's cyclone season up north looks like it's going to be a cracker with major activity predicted as far South as Townsville. Let's hope that a good deal of that rain makes it inland and gives our farmers some relief and we get a good dose down South to give the rivers and creeks a good flush out to give various ecosystems a good kick along. I think that if we don't get greater than average summer rains, we are in trouble. If it doesn't rain long and hard, I think the fishing outlook is bleak for next year. Weather patterns definitely play a part in the breeding cycles and feeding patterns of fish and long dry periods do make it harder to catch a feed; drought on land=drought at sea. I don't mind a bit of wild weather and let's hope that some wild weather heralds a return to the weather patterns of yesteryear.

Cheers,
BIGNICK.

Dug
16-10-2004, 12:44 PM
I can remember storms hitting Brisbane at 5pm every afternoon in summer regular as clockwork.

bignick
16-10-2004, 07:40 PM
When the big wild storms hit last summer, a lot of people seemed to think that it was the end of the world when, in reality, it was a taste of the way the weather used to be. I heard the first cyclone warning siren on the radio I had heard since I was a kid. Big summer rains were a regular thing not so long ago and, hopefully, those patterns will make a welcome return. We would surely dread another EL-NINO cycle, which would send a good deal of our farmers to ruin and make the fishing much harder than it already is. Nobody wants to see summer storms reek wholesale havoc and destruction. But a return to the weather patterns of times gone by can only be a good thing for everyone.

Cheers,
BIGNICK.