PDA

View Full Version : GOLDEN DAYS

Streaker
15-10-2004, 05:09 AM
For those that have other interest when the weather turns bad I though that i would post some photos of gold nuggets. I spent a breif time as a professional Gold prospector and I am amazed about how the hunting and gathering theory is evident in both fishing and prospecting. The acquiring of information, tne investigation and the rewards that are reaped by the persistant few. Enjoy the photos and I look forward to your comments.
the fish photo is of a large Spanish Mac and approx 30oz of the yellow stuff around my neck. Both were captured in the Gladstone region.

Streaker
15-10-2004, 05:12 AM
A 1oz nugget again from the Gladstone region. Sorry about the quality it was as big as the average small finger

Streaker
15-10-2004, 05:13 AM
A slug from Victoria that was about 2oz's

Streaker
15-10-2004, 05:15 AM
A sample of a haul from Tibooburra and the total for 3 weeks was about $2000

Streaker
15-10-2004, 05:15 AM
Tibooburra again

Streaker
15-10-2004, 05:17 AM
A very relaxed Streaker in Warwick

Streaker
15-10-2004, 05:18 AM
Some nice Warwick gold form a mornings work. I recovered a lot of gold from this area

Streaker
15-10-2004, 05:20 AM
During my gold days I had a huge relationship with Bundy Bear

Streaker
15-10-2004, 05:20 AM
Last is a nice red from Gladstone .

bugman
15-10-2004, 06:59 AM
Bloody hell Wayne,

I didn't realise how ugly you were - either that or there's 4 different people in those photos. ;D

I grew up in a mining town on the West Coast of Tassie where the gold rush was still a part of everyone's memory. Every man had a gold pan and I spent a few weekends as a very young Bugman strying to stay warm on the side of a little creek in the mountains while my Dad looked for his fortune.

The pans have gone but those little creeks still yield the odd find. It's amazing what's out there if people just choose to look.

Bugman

Payneful
15-10-2004, 07:07 AM
Hehehe ::)

You had hair back then ;D ;) ;)

Like the first photo where you had 30oz of gold .. about $17.5g's worth in today market.

Well done

Sam.

snappa
15-10-2004, 07:10 AM
wayne

should i sell the boat and buy a gold detector and go WEST ???

Streaker
15-10-2004, 07:32 AM
Peter
no need to sell the boat mate detectors are only about $5000.
get that out of the biggy bank.
Sam
the value of the gold about 5 tears ago was $15000
Brett
That's me in all the photos except the last one. OH God how we age.
Wayne

-spiro-
15-10-2004, 07:42 AM
Hey Wayne
Atleast you drunk propper piss back then :o. Maybe ill bring round a 6 pack for you next time, then you will remember what the good stuff is ;D ;D ;D.
Where can i get a $5k nugget from to buy me a new metal detector? ;D

Streaker
15-10-2004, 07:45 AM
chris
there is talk if this weather don't improve i might slip down to Warwick for a week end and reaccaint myself with BB.
Wayne

cod_botherer
15-10-2004, 08:09 AM
Wayne

Just to finish the story off proper, please post the GPS points of those finds. ;)

DaneCross
15-10-2004, 08:13 AM
I wonder how a pure gold slug does on the Macks out in the bay? The one in the 2nd photo looks about perfect size! ;) ;D ;D
Seriously, what a great feeling of acomplishment/satisfaction it must be to find $15,000 in/on the ground!
Interesting stuff :)
DC

Volvo
15-10-2004, 08:38 AM
:)Gods little part of Paradise ey mate???

Streaker
16-10-2004, 01:40 AM
The best photos were lost. I had a claim west of Rocky and in 1 week it yeilded 30ozs of nuggets all sitting on or just below the surface.
Wayne

bidkev
16-10-2004, 04:21 AM
Hi Wayne,

Yes, I think the hunter gatherer theory is very evident in many activities such as fishing, prospecting, and even bargain hunting.

I have over 30 filleting knives, 28 pairs of polaroid sunnies and 40 pair of specs, none of which I've paid more than 2 bucks for at op shops. The figure would be higher if I didn't keep dropping the knives overboard and crushing the specs when leaning over the boat0 :-) When I was younger I hunted (snaring, fishing and shooting) and was obsessive about it.

I come from a seaside town in the Uk which was a holiday resort. I used to prospect on the beach at the end of the season and have pulled diamond rings, watches etc from above the high water mark and I can well understand your sense of acheivement at having a "strike".

FWIW, I have a theory that many high functioning autistics whose brains are "wired" differently to neuro typical (normal) folk have a stronger hunter gatherer "instinct". Many of them are avid collecters of things that are likely to be only of interest to them, and as there is a genetic factor involved it has been shown that their rellies, although not diagnosed as autistic, may also exhibit this characteristic. Many "normal" parents of autistic kids are avid collectors/fishers.

Don't want to bore you, but the "hunter/gatherer theory is a pet subject of mine :-)

happy hunting/gathering :-)

cheers kev

ssbayguide
16-10-2004, 04:37 AM
Hi Wayne

Hope the Live Fibre serves you well.

My mum grew up on a farm just outside Mt Larcom. She passed away now but told me that when they were kids, they regularly found small nuggets around the area. Her dad got it all melted down into one lump. He passed this on to my uncle, who had it stolen when some prick broke into his house.

It really hurts when something has both monetary and sentimental value.

Peter

Streaker
16-10-2004, 07:59 AM
Peter
still yet to try the rod, but yes I have spent some time around Mt Larcom and a friend of mine has managed some good finds in the area.
Wayne

Dug
16-10-2004, 12:42 PM
If you were investing $5,000 what kind of detector would you go for?

We used to live in Bouldercombe a gold rich area with a lot of history one guy came out with a fancy discriminating detector thing his kid had a $50 dick smith the kid found a tin box with several thousand $ worth of old coins in an area his dad had worked over. Just luck I guess ;D

Streaker
17-10-2004, 03:21 AM
Dug
the latest is a GP 3000 from mine lab. Bouldercombe is near the area where I had my claim.

Dug
17-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Sorry but GOD I HATED ROCKHAMPTON!!! Bouldy was OK after we got rid of the rape and pillage mining company that was stuffing our valley. That was not you was it Streaker? Where are you based now?

I have nothing against miners or mining just idiots who stuff up everyone else so they can make a few quick bucks then do a runner so they don't have to clean up the mess.

When we "Retire" i will get a detector i can think of nothing better than wandering the bush with a chance of getting something for it.
:D