PDA

View Full Version : Salt water Croc Vs Shark ?

nomad
14-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Does anyone have documented proof, who wins -- Salty Croc.Vs Shark ? I am not sure, but I think the only Sharks in Croc. country are Tigers, Reef, Bull, Hammerhead. (I stand to be corrected ) Your opinion is appreciated, but does anyone have REAL PROOF ???

subzero
14-10-2004, 06:14 PM
All I know is a 60 year old Granny can sort one of these crocs out.... ;D
Now I know where the term "Grey Power" comes from...
Good on the old duck, she is a bl**dy marvel
[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

bungie
14-10-2004, 06:48 PM
It seems to be in Granny's blood, A few years back a very courageous Aboriginal Grandma jumped into a Townsville creek and grabbed the kid out of the Crocs mouth.

nomad
14-10-2004, 06:55 PM
I agree with you subzero, she"s a true Aussie-- she had a go !! But think about it- what would of happened if one of her relations didnt have a gun ? ( And the Governments are trying to take guns off us ) ???? I hate to be political-- BUT !!!!!!

snapperhead
14-10-2004, 09:26 PM
last year in the fitzory a small bull shark got taken by a large salty as some kids were cast netting off the bank in rocky. From the way it was reported in the paper all this happened pretty well under the kids net :o I think they traped the croc later as there was plenty of sittings of it after this and the kids now buy there bait from a shop.

yockman
15-10-2004, 04:02 AM
Saw a great photo in the bar at the Lombadina Aboriginal community north of Broome. There's a fairly big octopus. It's firmly clamped in the jaws of a fairly big shark. The shark is firmly clamped in the jaws of a very big :o :o croc. Wonder who won that stoush? (probably not the occy)
Cheers
Yockman

lordy
15-10-2004, 08:04 AM
Can't imagine too many sharks big enough to take on a croc. If they did though I think the shark would win if it was smart: in bite, retreat, in bite retreat, wait for croc to die from blood loss. Sharks probably are not that smart. Croc kill by drowning big prey, how hard would it be to drown a big shark?

SeaHunt
15-10-2004, 10:06 AM
Yep, I think it depends on how big they are and who bites who first. :-/

I have seen video of a killer whale attacking a huge great white shark (15+ft).
Shark didn't last 10 seconds. :o
Its a good thing they don't seem interested in us.

Mad_Barry
15-10-2004, 10:16 AM
I've heard, (about 3rd hand #::), from an old pro fisho up the gulf) of a croc swimming in open water & having a shark come up from underneath & rip it's belly open. Depends on where they decided to have it out I suppose, regardless, it would be a spectacle worth watching. #

Hutcho
15-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Fair dinkum! I used to think Great Whites were at the top of the food chain in the ocean, but I suppose a killer whale would give it a good duel.
My mates and I used to say, if you HAD to be pushed in to a pool, with either a great white, or a huge salty, what would you prefer...of course the answer is neither, but it always brought out some good debates.
I wonder (if it could happpen) who'd win between the GW shark and the salty croc put together?? :-*

SeaHunt
15-10-2004, 12:32 PM
I'd sooner go in with the shark. They have a good look at you first before they attack so might get time to do something about it. Hungry croc will snap at anything. :P

ssbayguide
15-10-2004, 12:42 PM
This urban myth stuff is great!

Perhaps the answer, as Bill Lawry would put it, is:

"Cricket was the winner today"

Blue_Escape
15-10-2004, 01:10 PM
Here's an extract from a similar post on an US site...
"The longest Great White Shark ever recorded(and proven to be true)was 21 feet long,the longest Saltwater Crocodile ever recorded(and proven to be true)was 23 feet long.The heavy'est Great white shark ever recorded(and proven to be true)was 1.3 tons,the heavy'est saltwater crocodile ever recored(and proven to be true)was 3.5 tons.The average size for an adult Great White Shark is about 14 feet long & 1000 pounds in weight,the average size of an adult Saltwater Crocodile is about 18 feet long & 1.2 tons in weight.When a Great White Shark bites something,the damage is mainly caused by its serated teeth.When a Saltwater Crocodile bites something,the damage is mainly caused by its jaw power.its hard to say witch animal would win because Great White Sharks try to avoid animals larger than them selves(adult male Elephant Seals,Orca Whales ect),and Saltwater Crocodiles dont usualy attack animals underwater(but they can,and sometimes do attack animals underwater)and with their huge size advantage the Saltwater Crocodile would most probobly win.The longest Bull Shark ever recored(and proven to be true)was 14 feet long,the longest Nile Crocodile ever recorded(and proven to be true)was 21 feet long.The heavy'est Bull Shark ever recorded(and proven to be true)was 900 pounds,the heavy'est Nile Crocodile ever recorded(and proven to be true)was 2.9 tons.The average size for an adult Bull Shark is about 9 feet long & 500 pounds in weight,the average size of an adult Nile Crocodile is about 16 feet long & 1 ton in weight.An adult Nile Crocodile would have nothing to fear from an adult Bull Shark,only juvenile Nile Crocodiles would have to avoid Bull Sharks(only if their mother's not around to protect them),Juvenile & adult Bull Sharks will both avoid a confrontation with a Nile Crocodile.As for a 33 foot long Saltwater Crocodile or Great White Shark being able to kill an adult Orca Whale,adult Great White Sharks are hunted by adult & juvenile Orca Whales.No report of a Saltwater Crocodile coming into contact with an Orca Whale has ever been made.But even if all these animals were the same length an Orca Whale would still have tons in weight over a Saltwater Crocodile or a Great White Shark + intellergence.Also Tiger Sharks dont have the size to be a threat to an adult Nile Crocodile or Saltwater Crocodile.

nomad
15-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Seahunt- A Killer Whale dosnt have teeth anthing like a Great White. How did it attack, and what did it do ? I would of thought the Great White would of ripped open the belly of the Killer Whale ! P/S- In the past 4 years, 2 different fishing groups I know were fishing just off the Coast, in small boats , down south here in Victoria. Both crews have had Great Whites, launch out of the water after their burley bucket. One of these incidents was witnesed by another fishing boat nearby. My friends were in shock, not knowing if it really happened, until the other boat uped the anchor and came over to talk to them. The people in the other boat said, you had better up anchor and get out of here, because that was a big shark. My friends (still shaking ) said how big was it ? They said, it was bigger than your boat !! My friends were in a 16ft boat. [smiley=end.gif] [smiley=help.gif] [smiley=helpa.gif] [smiley=stunned.gif] [smiley=stunned.gif] [smiley=shocked2.gif]. I know another group of friends that this same thing happened to. They were fishing roughly in the same area. These bunch of blokes are a pretty hard crew, but when it happened to them, they said we all got to the middle of the boat and started cuddling each other. They said they had s**t running down their legs. ( I would of payed anything to see that .) Just picture these Big, Tough, Beer drinking, Tattoo covered, Aussies, standing in the middle of the boat cuddling each other. (Oh, to be a seagul in the air )

Dug
15-10-2004, 06:20 PM
If you do get taken by a croc, shove your arm or leg down it's throat it cannot go underwater if the flap at the back of throats is not closed they drown very quickly.

As for grannies, there is a coastal tribe in PNG that reckons they have never lost a man to croc attack ever when they cross a river the women go first and last so they get taken.

aquarius
15-10-2004, 06:45 PM
I have seen a tooth from a killer whale and although not sharp like the Great White they are BIG AND STRONG!!!!!!!!.
Something like a tooth from a Hippo.
IMAGINE THE AWSOME POWER FROM A HIPPO,S OR KILLER WHALES JAWS. :o :o

el_carpo
15-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Seahunt is right. I saw that video of the killer whale and the shark duking it out. The whale trounced him. What killer whales do is swim under their large enemies and push them to the surface. When they have them up there, they rip their fins off and bite them to bits. Another video I saw was of a whole pod of killer whales killing a giant blue whale. They saw its presence as an invasion of their space and a threat so they attacked. Same method. A bunch of them swam down under the blue and pushed him up. The rest of them ripped him up until the blood loss was too much and he died. Very horrible scene to watch. I wish they would have let him dive down and get away. Nature is just like that, I guess. Killer whales attack eachother as well. There are two different types of them. Some stay in closer to shore and bays in giant, close-knit pods (just like a family). Others, usually males, swim together in small groups and terrorize everything in their paths, particularly other killer whales. They usually have much larger dorsal fins than the other more docile orcas too. I have no idea why. I saw this on one of those animal shows. Very neat, but kind of scarey.

Blue escape, those facts you posted are amazing. I can't imagine what seeing a 3.5 ton crocodile or a 1.3 ton great white would be like. Whew!!! No thanks! I wouldn't get close to either one of those beheamoths! Not on a bet!

"Run away! Run away!" ;D

skippa
16-10-2004, 03:39 AM
G'Day El Carpo,

Yep, I saw the same show on the Killer Whales attacking the Blue Whale. Was pretty gruesome too. These guys seem to be at the top of the food chain. Like it or not, mother nature is a wonderful thing.

I guess hollywood has a lot to answer for when you see motion pictures like Jaws and Orca, portraying these animals in a very unnatural way; but it certainly got people into the cinemas and was entertaining, even if short on reality.

As far as Croc's Vs Great Whites, well that was one brave 'ol granny in FNQ, my moneys on her ;D

Cheers,
Tony 8)

ssbayguide
16-10-2004, 04:07 AM
What about Crocodiles versus hippos, or maybe a tag team event - Killer Whale and Hippopotamus against Great White and Crocodile.

The mind simply boggles.....

Dug
16-10-2004, 04:48 AM
Two words "Genetic engineering". If we can make an army of croc/ hippo/killer whale/ sharks, then we can rule the world. But maybe fishing would be a bit more dangerous too.

Hutcho
16-10-2004, 07:42 AM
Some interesting stats there. Quite amazing when you think about it. If you did get pushed in a pool with either a great white, or a croc, and there was no way out, i guess the attack by a shark would be a lot quicker and more blood lost than the slow rolling death/drowning of a salty croc in its massive jaws. That's the kind of stuff nightmares are made of. #[smiley=uhoh.gif] [smiley=stunned.gif] uh, sorry bout that thought.
But from the stats above, it sounds like 'ol man croc would have his way with weight, length, skin and power over old may grey suit white.

Cheers,
Hutcho

el_carpo
16-10-2004, 08:48 AM
;D Funny you should mention crocs versus hippos. That happens. In Africa, the hippo strikes fear into the hearts of crocodiles. They commonly share the same small bodies of water. When the hippos have young ones, they really give them space. A full grown hippo can make minced-meat out of a croc. They grab them in their mouths and bite down breaking their backs and then bash the heck out of them. I wouldn't have thought so, but it's true. They are scared of them. Once, a big croc skeleton was found in the branches of a tree, they figured a big old hippo or an elephant got upset with it and whooped him. Bear in mind, these crocs aren't the giant salt-water ones you all are familiar with but still, I'd give them room. :o

;D One last "Something vs. the crocodile story." I saw a video of a Bengal tiger swim out into the midst of a bunch of crocs and steal a deer away from them. Couldn't believe my eyes. The tiger killed a deer near a swamp and some crocs came and took it from him. He paces back and forth for a while roaring out at them and all of a sudden, he leaps out into the water, grabs the thing and drags it to shore with the crocs swimming nearby trying to scare him off.

Tigers and Aussie grannies. Nothing scares 'em! ;D

E.C.

ssbayguide
16-10-2004, 09:01 AM
All cats are cunning - I like that trait.

Just when you think you've outsmarted them.....

SeaHunt
16-10-2004, 09:28 AM
http://www.cnn.com/EARTH/9710/08/whale.vs.shark/

Dug
16-10-2004, 12:24 PM
I think I heard somewhere that Hippos kill more people ever year than any other animal. Anyone got the Deathilizer stats for dangerous animals?

Dug
16-10-2004, 12:26 PM
I think I heard somewhere that Hippos kill more people ever year than any other animal. Anyone got the Deathilizer stats for dangerous animals? http://www.worsleyschool.net/fun/dangerous/creatures.html

Dug
16-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Has anyone else noticed that most of these really dangerous critters live in the water?

nomad
16-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Yea Dug, my ex. loves the water. [smiley=argue.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=beadyeyes.gif] [smiley=furious2.gif]

ssbayguide
16-10-2004, 02:24 PM
I thought it was the Cape Buffalo that killed the most tourists and other people in Africa (Southern Africa, anyway).

Chrisso
16-10-2004, 02:50 PM
Could just imagine a 10 meter + croc ripping just about anything on land and water apart. I remember seeing a picture of one a similar size in the sunday mail a few years ago - shot from the varanda of a pub or something. I think it was in the logan river but I could be wrong. #???

I'd back a croc into any contest - sheer power, muscle and size. I don't think a sharks skin would be too much of a problem - can't say the same for a crocs' skin.

A 10 meter croc - that would be a mobile mudbank - but with a hazard. #::)

Chrisso
16-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Just a pic of a croc in the logan river.

subzero
17-10-2004, 01:30 AM
This croc in the Logan, is that the Logan down here in Brisbane or is that some other Logan?... in the old days did the buggers occassionaly stray down this far or was this a very rare event if it is the Local Logan? Big Mother isnt he, makes my bowels rumble just to look at him.... people have a lot to answer for when they stopped producing nice croc shoes, handbags etc...

snapperhead
17-10-2004, 10:00 AM
old timer use to come to logan village school when I was there and remeber him talking about the croc as well as the elbow slappers, flathead and jew they use to catch up that far... many many moons ago hard, to imagine catching anything worthwhile there now.

Chrisso
18-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Yeah, subzero, mate, I just ripped it off the net ::) . It is from the logan as in joins up with the jumpinpin estuary. ;)

I must say though the croc was taken in something like 1930 (I think)! ???